Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilling observation ...

Hi All,

Just a thought I had while watching Ideal World this morning when they were selling Quilling starter kits. As I watched the demonstrator making little flowers it became clear that a lot of skill and effort goes into making elaborate quilled pieces ...which they then suggested could be 'slapped' on the front of a piece of flimsy card and called a 'card' (you know what I mean!).

Now don't get me wrong, there are some exquisite cards out there that are beautifully made ...but it just seemed more appropriate to present a quilled piece as art, in a frame, which would be kept and enjoyed for a long time to come. I know some people keep cards, but the general instinct is to keep something in a frame as opposed to maybe throwing a card away after it's served its purpose.

I don't mean to try and tell any Quillers how to do their craft ...or to upset Carders ...far from it. I'm totally not a Quiller, so I have no expert knowledge, this was just a laymans observation!

Cheers.
    Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Generally most of the cards I make with quilling are either kept by the person I send them to or they are done so simply and it takes me half an hour to an hour (some of that time involves ferreting around my work box looking for the right colour!!!) at the most that it isn't that much of a problem. Flowers that I make are pretty simple, and I don't usually put many on a card (out of laziness sometimes! ).

I like to quill pictures (but there are only so many I can have on my walls and make for friends walls) and models and also boxes as well as cards.

I have been quilling for over 20 years so making a simple card is quick and easy for me, something I can get done in front of the TV for simple relaxation.

I think the thing is with any craft is that it needs to be accessible to everyone. To make quilling appear accessible to those who have not done it before then making cards and gift tags is a good start, otherwise no one would bother and we'd all be buying what I see as those horrible ready made quilled "stickers" to put on the front of cards.

If you'd like to see how many different things you can do with quilling then my gallery is here: http://www.quilledcreations.com/quil...500&ppuser=978

It's nice not to confine it to frames.
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I agree all the work that goes into making a quilled item deserves being framed, I mean Indri, your stuff is wonderful! But putting them on cards makes them affordable and not so out of reach, a few pounds and you have a small piece, whereas if that was framed you'd have to spend extra time finding the right frame and then put the price up to accommodate this. It also gives the person who has the card the option to frame it afterwards if they want to. If you can find little box frames cheaply enough then that would be a way round it, or another way I've seen on the telly to make the card appear framed is to buy either the domed bubbles like they use for the Hummel range of decoupage or by curving a piece of acetate to make a bowed window effect on the front of the card, to protect the piece of quilling. But again, the time taken would be longer and the domes and acetate would be an extra cost although not so much as a frame. But you're right Fairdo, quilling is beautiful but also, being a card maker, hehehe....not all card is flimsy...the card you see some of the presenters use on these programmes is little more than thick paper, they have no time to elaborate, mount or layer extra pieces etc. This doesn't do them any favours really, but it's done, they say, just to give the audience an idea of what things could look like. The weight of the card you use definitely makes the difference
      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I have done quilled earrings too. They wouldn't get framed!! I paint them with colourless nail varnish to stop them going soggy in the rain!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Indri "inspired" me to have a go earlier this year.. I bought a heart design rubber stamp, which consisted of spirals.. like a quilled design.. so I stamped the design on blank card, cut out the outline, and mounted the card on a second piece with 3d foam squared so I had a rigid template.

I made some basic spirals, packed them in the template, slapped a bit of PVA on them, and then put it over the design which I had stamped on a card..

Quite to my surprise, they all adhered to the card, and looked impressive! (well, to me.. I'm not the most talented crafter, and easily pleased!)..

O/h loved the card!! I was even impressed enough to make the design again for an ATC (see the ATC thread on the forum..) so someone here will be getting a sample of it too....

I know what the OP means about the impact.. it can look infinitely more impressive than the basic energy and input might suggest.. though fat fingers like mine struggle to do the fiddly bits.. but I think a card is a "gift" and a keepsake just as much as a framed picture or model?? something from someone special to keep in a secret drawer, or treasures box maybe.. enjoyed in a quiet moment!

Comment

Hi indri,

Just had a look at the gallery ...wow! there's some great stuff on there. It was actually the little humming bird on the flower that caught my eye ...very nice.

Anyway, please don't think I was having a go at Quillers ...I really just meant that after producing a (seemingly) intricate piece of work, putting it on a flimsy bit of card (which I appreciate was probably for demo purposes and wasn't really a quality card) didn't seem to do it justice somehow.

Now I've seen the kind of thing that can be produced I can see why you might not be able to frame things so easy.

But maybe there is something in what I say, as you could say I am the 'uneducated customer', and if that was my reaction then maybe there is a market for framed 'arty' pieces. I certainley wouldn't have imagined that it was 'easy' so would probably pay the price for it.

Keep up the good work ...however easy it is!

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

I didn't think you were 'having a go' at quillers, just thought I'd let you see how versatile quillling is considering it doesn't seem it at first as it's just strips of paper. I guess these TV channels that are trying to sell stuff don't want to spend too much on better quality stuff as it'll affect their overheads!!

I don't sell my stuff as a general rule, I find I have little enough time to do my quilling, though I will do the odd bit if someone asks and I have some time to get it done. As for framed pictures, some of those have taken me months! I'd dread to think how much I would be willing to charge and if anyone would actually pay for it! Glad you liked the stuff anyway
              View my flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
                Indri "inspired" me to have a go earlier this year..

.. though fat fingers like mine struggle to do the fiddly bits.. but I think a card is a "gift" and a keepsake just as much as a framed picture or model?? something from someone special to keep in a secret drawer, or treasures box maybe.. enjoyed in a quiet moment!
                I didn't know I could inspire people!! Not something that happens every day!

As for the "fat fingers" it sounds like you could do with some fine tweezers to pick up the fiddly bits. I wouldn't manage to do half the stuff I do without them!
                View my flickr

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
                  I didn't know I could inspire people!! Not something that happens every day!

As for the "fat fingers" it sounds like you could do with some fine tweezers to pick up the fiddly bits. I wouldn't manage to do half the stuff I do without them!
                  Yep.. you are to blame ! *giggle*

Im not overly good with tweezers either.. never had the steadiest of hands at the best of times! me and a pot of glue best kept at a distance except in emergencies! he heheheehh!

Comment

Working...
                  X