help with naming new website please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with naming new website please

I am starting a new website (non craft). I wanted to register my name .com and .co.uk but unfortunately someone already has it. So what do you think sounds good.

I don't want a hyphenated site like www.liz-smith.com . But I do want my name in the title, maybe another couple of small words, like thisislizsmith.com, anyone any ideas? Its a site about me, not selling anything other than myself (in a non sex way)

How about LifeOfLizSmith.com? Or LizSmithLive? Or TheLizSmithDaily/TheLizSmithTelegraph?

Will post more suggestions if they come to me
    Some of my creations:
    http://learningspirit.co.uk

Comment

thanks nuky. I quite like lizsmithlive. Hmm decisions. Any other ideas anyone?

Comment

Lizziesmith is available in all domains ect .com

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/order?domai...x_enabled=true

Any use?

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

sorry I should point out my name isnt actually liz smith, thats just an example name. Should have said joe bloggs.

Comment

Originally posted by spagbog View Post
            sorry I should point out my name isnt actually liz smith, thats just an example name. Should have said joe bloggs.
            Ok, give us a clue, what is your name?

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

it doesnt matter what my name is, it wont be shortened or lengthened or made into a nickname.

Just need joebloggslive.co.uk, joebloggsonline.co.uk etc. Add ons that could be put on any name for a website.

Comment

Putting an "i" in the name like ipod sometimes works depending on the name

ijohnsmith.com

Also you could register a .ME domain then have johnsmithabout.me

this is a bit off the wall but a few of my friends have registered a domain for their name like this :-

If you were called jamesbloggs register mesbloggs.com then your email address could look like [email protected]

a few more before I go :

LizSmithWorld
                YourLizSmith

www.affixit.co.uk - Clever Adhesives for Crafters

Comment

A bit cloak & dagger innit

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

What is the purpose of the site, which will help to come up with a name, perhaps think of using a keyword.

Comment

Your not giving us much to go on here!

How about

iamlizsmith ????
                      Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

thanks craftyper8, really helpful.

Comment

The problem with names, especially the more popular ones is that they apply to many people and are snapped up - and if someone has taken the .co and .com versions, you end up with second class options like .tv and .biz and will almost certainly lose traffic to the premium versions.

The other factor is the speculative domain registrations - I wanted www.give.co.uk but it has been pre registered by a company who will sell it to me for £20,000 at the last asking!! Having said that, if you check the ones you wanted that have been registered, you usually have the option to see who holds the domain (unless they pay extra for privacy) and you can then contact them and at least see if they are willing to relinquish it for a modest fee.

Not quite sure what the "allergy" to a hyphen is, but each to their own! personally, I think unseparated words look rather messy and odd.. plus are potentially open to misreading therapist / the rapist for example.. and it was years before I discovered that a well known brand of golf balls was title ist not tit leist!!

the example you gave is also one I would avoid thisislizsmith is too many of the same and similar letters it becomes a tongue twister to say, and is easily mis typed as you said this will be a self promotion site, I would suggest aboutjoebloggs meetjoebloggs or something equally short..

Comment

Sparkys Dad I am going to set you a challenge to answer a thread in one sentence I never get to the end of yours........off to hide

worldoflizsmith

lizsmithishere

lizsmithsworld
                            www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Originally posted by gbell View Post
                              Sparkys Dad I am going to set you a challenge to answer a thread in one sentence I never get to the end of yours........off to hide

worldoflizsmith

lizsmithishere

lizsmithsworld
                              Short attention span deficit gbell?

Comment

Working...
                              X