Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation? - sit or stand at----------

Events?

As many of you will be aware - I am fortunate in being able to have stalls at many Farmers Markets and to do some craft fairs.

One difference, I have noticed, between the two is that at Farmers Markets, or general markets, you never, well hardly ever see the stall holder sitting down - even in quiet periods.

Yet at craft fairs, chairs are provided and the stall holders, most of the time - sit.

Do you think it makes a difference?

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

I think it does make a difference...

I do try to stand most of the time but I do try sit in quite periods, mainly cause my back is normally killing me by then.

I have noticed that people who stand and chat with their customers tend to sell more, it's easier to sell your product when you chat to someone face to face than if they are looking down on you.

The worst offence is sitting and reading and not even looking up when somebody stops to look at your goods.
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
    my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
    my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beckyboo View Post

I do try to stand most of the time but I do try sit in quite periods, mainly cause my back is normally killing me by then.

I have noticed that people who stand and chat with their customers tend to sell more, it's easier to sell your product when you chat to someone face to face than if they are looking down on you.

The worst offence is sitting and reading and not even looking up when somebody stops to look at your goods.
      I agree entirely . . Stand . . definitely sells more stuff . . chit chat about your products and them . . talk about or get them to talk about themselves . . smile loads . . offer advice when sought . . put the product in the customers hand! Once it's there it's half sold already! . . if you can't put it in their hand cos it's a food product or a cosmetic product presented au naturel then have some samples that you can do this with!

. . but stand up! . . think about how you feel when you go into a shop and the assistants are standing around chatting amongst themselves and ignoring the customers . . same thing really . . if you sit down at a craft fair or show then the message you are sending is "we aren't interested in our customers" . . and from down there you definitely can't put the product in the customers hand.

Sit down in quiet periods . . I agree . . but get right up again the moment there's a hint that someone is coming your way!

You can relax after the fair/show . . when you've got the money in your hands and all your products are sold and business cards and flyers are all gone.
      Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
      Etsy Shop
      Artfire Shop
      dichro-findings blog

Comment

oh i dont agree. If i walked into a craft fair and there was a stall that i wanted to look at but the stall holder was just standing there waiting to pounce, i wouldnt go over. No way.

Hence the reason, i always sit. I sit, and if someone comes over, i say hi, tell them to feel free to touch and try on. That kind of gives me a feel for the person and i take it from there. If the person seems chatty, i'll stand to that i can talk to them properly. I might even come round to the front of the stall to show them the products properly.

But then, if everyone was the same it would be a sad boring world
        Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

i can do both i can stand and knit or crochet or i can sit and knit and crochet i have found that if i stand and knit more people tend to stop and talk 'i never knew you could stand and do that?' sort of thing and as we all know sometimes it only takes a couple of polite words and you've got a sale
          while i knit i think

http://foxyscraftythoughts.blogspot.com

http://thecraftyfox.misi.me.uk

Comment

hi

Hi i've not yet done a stall but i think i would stand most of the time where possible as it helps interaction, i've almost always seen people standing at craft fairs i know i'd rather go over to a table if the person behind is standing it just seems more welcoming x

stacey x

Comment

As a customer I'm not bothered whether the stallholder is sitting or standing (given that it's better for back, legs feet to sit if you can).

I can make the smaller corn dollies sitting or standing - but if I'm sitting I sit to the side of my stall so that people can see. I would think that this isn't possible on most market stalls though.
              ElaineJ soap and other stuff
              website
              blog

Comment

At fairs iv been to there is rarely enough space to sit let alone stand up and walk lol! i tend to sit and make eye contact with people and if a conversation starts up i stand and talk about the jewellery and come around the front if questions are asked.

I dont like it when people pounce
                Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I personally think there's a balance to strike. In a bustling environment, yes defo on your feet interacting with the punters. However if in a quiet situation then sitting down (not looking bored, but maybe crafting!) is fine and indeed maybe less off-putting to people approaching your stall, so long as you don't break the golden rule about being 'there' and attentive as soon as the customer is ready to interact with you ...if they're not they don't want you bouncing all round them.

As with any form of selling it's a fine art. Some people do it instinctively while for others it's hard work.

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Originally posted by beckyboo View Post

I think you have hit the nail on the head here Beckyboo, market traders (whether Farmers or General) do sell more, they are there to sell and their livelihood depends on on them selling their wares.

Of all the producers I meet at Farmers Markets (which is quite a lot) I cannot think of one that actually has a chair.

As for backache, I guess it is "no pain no gain"

Maybe there is no right or wrong - just my observation - but maybe a good idea to check your local market, see how many stall holders are sitting and how well they are doing.

Ah well, it is 4.30 am - just off for another backbreaking day.

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I do both Farmers arkets and craft fairs.
                      The farmers market is outdoors and in much of the weather we've had for those, sitting down would mean you were instantly turned to ice.

One of the reasons that people sit down at craft fairs is that the organisers often provide chairs.
                      At markets, chairs are not provided, you'd have to take your own along and traders just don't bother.
                      In craft fairs, I think it's a matter of proportion. If the table is of adequate height then standing is much better. But you need to get the ballance right between paying the customer attention and talking to them and then letting them browse and not feeling that their every move is being scrutenised.
                      I'll often "busy" myself sorting out tissue paper etc but I'll be aware the second they need anything or i can see a good way in to conversation.
                      i agree with the getting it into their hands approach.
                      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I think standing is best, but there is a way of doing that without looking as if you are about to "pounce". You can be dealing with something at the back of the stall (for instance) so that you are not looking as if you are out to catch a customer. The main thing is to greet the customer in the right way. Many year ago I worked in a shop which offered coffee to customers as they browsed and one assistant could not, how ever many times she was told, get the timing right - she attacked the customer as they came in and offered them coffee. This was a bit off putting if they had not been in before and thought they were coming into a bookshop and not a coffee bar! The best way was to point them in the direction of the book section they wanted and then when they were happily browing offer them "a coffee while you browse" - they were settled and not frightened off. The same applies with approaching customers and as John says with some people it comes instinctively, but others have to learn it and it is a question of being people aware and not pushing where it is not wanted.
                        Cynthia
                        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I have never done farmers markets or craft fairs, but when I worked for a charity we would attend events and festivals. When I first started, the stall was dire - badly presented, and little going on.. and a few volunteers lolling about seemingly more interested in what they did last night than the job in hand.

I decided that just "being there" was not enough, so we would always have some "associated" activity going on - for example giving away cake as part of a competition - we primarily attended to raise awareness and recruit more volunteers.

We NEVER* provided chairs, as I am a firm believer that you have to be alert to spot opportunity, and also to engage with your potential customer..

I really agree with other comments that "too keen" is too scary.. and pouncing is definitely not the same as enthusiastic, engaging and welcoming!!

* having said we never provided seating, we did have the luxury of high staffing levels, so I would ask people to be there for 2 hours at a time.. a luxury denied to most crafters for sure.

I guess it is kind of related, but I find seated people look like they are there for the duration.. rather than keen and enthused.. if you look like you do this every week, and know 10 - 11.30 is a dull time.. it really comes across to me as a potential punter.. and my other pet hate.. people eating their tupperware 3 bean salad!! - I know you have to eat.. but at the stall just looks "wrong"!!

Comment

I really don't mind what the stall holder is doing, but...I have to say that those I see just sitting there with their arms folded do look bored, and looking bored means uninteresting! It would help even if they were knitting or even better, making something that they are are selling.
                            Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I prefer to stand if I can, but I suffer from a bad back and leg so shouldn't stand still for prolonged periods otherwise I'm in agony for days.

If I feel I need to sit for a while I make sure I'm making something, so I look busy & not bored, and I always make sure I at least say 'Hello' to customers that stop, and let them know they can try things on if they want to.

One thing never to do though, is if you're sitting when someone approaches you, don't stand up, it looks like you're going to pounce!!

I have to admit though, last Saturday I broke all the cardinal rules of 'fair etiquette', and sat behind my stall with a tray of chips (complete with ketchup) from the canteen, then abandoned my stall to go & chat to other stallholders, but then there were so few customers coming through the door a few of us were joking we should lock the next ones in & not let them out until they'd bought something

Claire
                              Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                              Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                              www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Working...
                              X