What do you men call yourself??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you men call yourself??

My Husband and I make and sell soap and body care products. (in case you wondered)

We refer to ourselves crafters.

Yesterday I was trying to renew the insurance for our two vans.

Everything was fine, for occupation I was put as a Craftswomen, then for my Husband there was no box saying Craftsman, I suggested that it should be Craftspersons, but was told by 6 different insurers that men don't craft!!!

They then wanted to put him as a Craftswoman??? Or manufacturer (which carries much higher insurance points?)

So what do you guys call yourself?

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

I await their response with interest!!!!
    Cynthia
    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

artist?

No I am not a man!
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

ooh isn't that sexist???? surely they will have to change it!
        Diane
        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I put Artist/Beadweaver......................that confuses most of 'em.

Comment

Um!

I wouldn't have though thought that they could be so discriminatory without falling foul of some law or other...
            Julia

Website: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JuliaYo...=hdr_shop_menu
            Facebook:
            https://www.facebook.com/JuliaYorkDesigns?ref=hl
            Blog:https://juliayorkdesigns.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by GonetoEarth View Post
              I wouldn't have though thought that they could be so discriminatory without falling foul of some law or other...
              My thoughts exactly! But from 6 different insurance companies, one even wanted to put him as a factory worker!!

Jane
              www.just-soaps.com
              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Oh I have fallen foul of Insurers and their "need" to fit you in to their pre defined list.. I was Chief Executive of a Charity - not the most unusual of jobs there's thousands of them.. but closest they could come up with was social worker, care home manager, or civil servant! - and even if you telephone, you get some call centre numpty who has even less idea where to categorise you. It is a bit of a laugh, until you realise that come the day you have an accident, and they ask what you do for a living they decide you didn't accurately declare your profession, and either reduce the pay out, or decide you are not covered.. (yes, really!).

I had to threaten them with small claims court to get them to sort things out, and report them to the Insurance ombudsman - a lengthy and not altogether fruitful approach.

I think also it is unfair that they dont disclose any weighting they put on certain types of profession - I mean if theres two categories they are happy to lump you in to, they should disclose which is the least expensive!

As for a Male Crafter (or indeed woman..) "Artisan"

Comment

Oh, and on the subject of "male crafters" - try telling the car insurance that there is a Mr and Mr at home.. apparently a "spouse" is cheaper to insure, but most of their forms expect one of each gender

Comment

Vehicle insurance is crazy.

Did you know that if you put secretary on your status, is is ranked higher than typist?

There are many threads on Martin Lewis's website about it

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

i call mine dogs body, wonder if thats an official category
                      www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                        Vehicle insurance is crazy.

Did you know that if you put secretary on your status, is is ranked higher than typist?

There are many threads on Martin Lewis's website about it

Jane

Not stepping on anyone's toes here but secretary is ranked higher because a secretary does more than just type whereas officially a typist does just that. Wonder where I came in on insurance when I was a Senior Legal Secretary/PA?????? that was my official title but all I said for insurance was secretary, a friend of mine used to say office worker (he was a male secretary)
                        Diane
                        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                          Not stepping on anyone's toes here but secretary is ranked higher because a secretary does more than just type whereas officially a typist does just that. Wonder where I came in on insurance when I was a Senior Legal Secretary/PA?????? that was my official title but all I said for insurance was secretary, a friend of mine used to say office worker (he was a male secretary)
                          The point I was trying to make was why should a secretary be more of an insurance risk for driving than a typist? That is what I meant by ranked higher.
                          What one's work title is, I would have thought should have nothing to do with the type of driver you are.
                          Though I am sure there are statistics to say otherwise

Jane
                          www.just-soaps.com
                          Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Statistically apparently Doctors are more prone to drink problems and stress than the general population, so potentially a greater risk to insure.. differences like that you can understand, but whether you type, or type and answer the phone, or type, answer the phone and keep a diary shouldnt rally make a difference..

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                              The point I was trying to make was why should a secretary be more of an insurance risk for driving than a typist? That is what I meant by ranked higher.
                              What one's work title is, I would have thought should have nothing to do with the type of driver you are.
                              Though I am sure there are statistics to say otherwise

Jane
                              Perhaps the typist finishes her work and forgets about her day. The secretary might be worrying about the appointments she forgot to make and therefore not concentrating!!!!!!!!!! Just a thought. It is all very daft isn't it and we still have not had many answers about what men call themselves!!
                              Cynthia
                              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X