Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craft Mafia

Has anyone heard of the Craft Mafia?

I was scowering the net looking for craft fairs and came up with Craft Mafia????
    Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

I know of a Sheffield based group called Craft Mafia, was thinking about joining them if they'd let me. I was gonna do some more research into them before I committed myself though.
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

I think that "Craft Mafias" started in the States... I've certainly got a lot of US Craft Mafias as myspace contacts/friends. I think it's just a light-hearted term for local craft groups, which has started to appear in some cities over here.

Si.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
      Facebook
      Flickr
      Twitter

Comment

I've heard of it, came across their site last year, but don't really know much about it other than what I read on their own website.
        Si's correct, I remember reading that it started somewhere in Texas and groups have sprung up all over the UK. Not sure how you join though.

Comment

Originally posted by krafty1 View Post
          Si's correct, I remember reading that it started somewhere in Texas and groups have sprung up all over the UK. Not sure how you join though.
          I heard that you either had to crochet a horse's head and leave it in someone's bed, or knit some concrete boots.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

PMSL...!!!! hahaha!!!!
            Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

There is a fairly well established Glasgow Craft Mafia. I haven't looked up how to join but loads of people have asked me if I am a member - I really do have a doppleganger in Glasgow, she sounds like she is much more fun than me, she's even been spotted dancing in London and going out for coffee mid-week (to beanscene non the less, I am not cool enough for beanscene)
              www.beadlab.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
                There is a fairly well established Glasgow Craft Mafia. I haven't looked up how to join but loads of people have asked me if I am a member - I really do have a doppleganger in Glasgow, she sounds like she is much more fun than me, she's even been spotted dancing in London and going out for coffee mid-week (to beanscene non the less, I am not cool enough for beanscene)
                Could be worse, Pebbles, your double could be appearing regularly on Crimewatch...
                Wood Tattoos
                Facebook
                Flickr
                Twitter

Comment

I've never heard of craft mafia.... but their website is here: http://craftmafia.com/main.html have no idea how you join in with them. Maybe Si is right - crocheted horses heads.....
                  View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I believe theres a group in Leeds, but If I remember it right dont even enquire unless you have an arts degree, but that could just be Leeds

Comment

IIRC the Craft Mafia originated, or were part of, a craft forum which was very popular two or three years ago but now much quieter.
                      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                      website
                      blog

Comment

Have heard of them they are in Manchester as well.
                        Website
                        WWW.CUTTINGCREATIONS.CO.UK

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cuttin...979559?ref=sgm

Comment

Iv had a wee look through the glasgow site and had a look at how to join. It says that your application WONT be concidered unless to come along to one of their events and get to know them all. It seems a bit cliquie (is that how you spell it?) to me! And its £50 a year!
                          Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I've logged in to the forum I mentioned above - it's more or less dead but was very active in 2007 then petered out in 2008.

Of the Craft Mafia sites mentioned there only the Glasgow one would seem to be active unless the others have move d to different hosts. Perhaps the joining fee ensures that members remain active?!

The Leeds site was no longer there and the Birmingham one changed to Birmingham crafters but ther was just the initial post in October 2008.

Perhaps all the potential members of the various Mafia have landed up in these forums?
                            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                            website
                            blog

Comment

Oooh, I see there's one in Nottingham, for there and the east Midlands!
                              Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X