How old is your craft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is your craft?

I was thinking today and discussing with mum, about the Victorian Kitchen programme and how all the old crafts are making a come back and it got me to thinking:

Do you know where and when your craft dates from?

I know mosaicing dates back to Roman and Byzantine times and Indri put on a post recently that quilling is a very old craft done by Nuns.

So come on crafters, do you know when and where your craft dates back to? (try for your exact craft, ie not just jewellery but your specific type of jewellery making, such as beading, silversmithing etc)

let's see if we can find the oldest craft there is.....
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

As I'm an artist, I guess mine goes back to the caveman days? And sometimes, I feel as old as my craft too.
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Corn Dollies, cosmetic/body oils/butters and felt go way back, soap as such just a few centuries.

I don't know which of those would be the oldest; certainly the ancient Egyptians used various emolliants and cleansers and grew wheat; remains of plaited straw and grass have been found in many ancient sites and felt is reputed to be one of the oldest forms of fabric, pre-dating weaving.
      Last edited by ElaineJ; 30-01-2009, 06:40 PM.
      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
      website
      blog

Comment

Pyrography with a machine dates back from Victorian times, when benzene-fuelled machines were invinted - they looked lethal, though, Before then, it was known as pokerwork, because you used a poker heated in the fire. This was popular in the 1600's, but such work has been found on Viking and Roman artifacts, also, and on Peruvian gourds dating from before 700 AD. It's theorised that it's been done ever since metal was available
        Cheers,
        Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
        Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Making jewellery with gemstones for their healing properties was common during the ancient Egyptian times. The Pharoahs were burried with their jewellery for many reasons, including warding off evil spirits and to make sure they had a safe journey into their next life.
          Last edited by auntynet; 30-01-2009, 08:08 PM.
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Quilling possibly goes back to ancient egypt according to some sources, but there is definite evidence of it being practiced by nuns in the 16th century. I know it was also mentioned by Jane Austen in sense and sensibility as a "filigree basket" so we have even entered the realm of literature!!
            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Well this is more interesting than I thought it would be, I love knowing where all the crafts come from!
              Diane

Comment

I just found this link that reckons jewellery making dates back to 25,000 BC!

http://www.handmadebeadedjewelry.org...story-beliefs/

If you think about it, the gemstones and crystals have taken millions of years to form so someone must have found a use for them a long, long time ago.

The Breastplate of Aaron, which contained 12 different gemstones, was mentioned in the Bible.

And if you want more info - wait till Urbtaf sees this thread . . . .he is a mine of information about where the stones come from and when.
                Last edited by auntynet; 30-01-2009, 10:41 PM.
                Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I expect people were wearing quills, feathers, bones, teeth and found stones with holes pretty early on as well.
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

Turning wooden bowls on a foot powered lathe. First evidence c700bc in the UK c600bc. The heyday was 500ad-1500ad when nearly everyone in Britain was eating from wooden bowls and plates, virtually no pot bowls or plates from this period.
                    http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Comment

I read that beads date back 40000+ years and were also used to 'trade' as a sort of currency in some places. It seems that anything & everything has been used to produce them from plant materials to shells, clay, gemstones, glass, metals, and so on.
                      Mel

Comment

Soapmaking has been found as far back as 2200BC

Most people think it is quite modern.

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I am learning so much from this thread, it's fascinating!! thanks all for an insight into your crafts.
                          Diane

Comment

Working...
                          X