• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aviya Glass
    Super Big Crafter
    • Jun 2008

Am I wrong to be disappointed?

I bought some beads recently and they arrived today - won't say from whom - they are so nicely packaged, pristine lovely plastic mini bags, cute pink staples etc BUT they stink of smoke
    Not just a faint whiff but they reek. Even the puff envelope stinks, all the inside stuff stinks and all my lovely purchases have been flung into a corner and sprayed

Smoking is a choice, I don't have an issue with that but am I unreasonable not to want my purchases, and consequently my home, to smell bad?
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy
  • SarahandIan
    100+ crafts club
    • Oct 2008

You are totally justified to feel disappointed - in my opinion, anyway. I don't know anything about beads but is there anyway of getting rid of the smell? How annoying though.

Saying that...I had a stall at a craft fair last year and a lady had a stall selling clothes she made. Funny how she did not sell 1 thing...the stale smell of smoke even put me off looking.

Not against smoking in the slightest just obvious to anyone to use their loaf and keep it away from things you selling.

Sarah
    Baby bibs with a difference...
    We now do t-shirts up to 4 years!
    www.bibbledribble.co.uk
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/BibbleDribble

Comment

• goldy1
      Super Big Crafter
      • Nov 2006

There is another thread on the subject And it is I suspect the same seller.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

• Moonbeam Angel
        Super mega big crafter
        • Nov 2008

I totally agree with you. I hate it to, because if you try to use these stinking items, you and your hands etc end up reeking aswell.

I hate smoking and dont allow it in my home and I dont want it on my purchases either! If someone wants to smoke, they can do it where they please, just not around me (SORRY) Yes smoking is a choice, but unfortunately we all have to suffer it if we are in the company of a smoker!

I have cats, would people buying my items like it if they smelled of cat's wee-I think not!!

So, actually no, I don't think you are being unreasonable in the least.

(No doubt a smoker will come along now and defend all smokers)

Sorry, I didnt want this to sound like a rant, but I too have been on the receiving end of items bought that smell of smoke, it's not nice
        Last edited by Moonbeam Angel; 21-01-2009, 06:12 PM. Reason: Sounded like a rant
        Diane
        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

• piggintracy
          So much more than a moderate crafter
          • Jan 2009

how annoying I bought a scrap book off ebay a while back and that was the same I complained to the seller and they refunded part of the price. Ive left it out and sprayed febreze on it and its not so bad now but still v annoying

Comment

• Moonbeam Angel
            Super mega big crafter
            • Nov 2008

Just a thought about the smell, having just read the other thread, rather than use vinegar can you put them in a bowl with bicarbonate of soda, that is a smell absorbing substance and is dry. It's what people use in cooking (I know you all probably know that -der me!!) but people also use it in their fridge to absorb smells.
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

• Peter
              Super mega big crafter
              • Jan 2006

Statutory rights - goods must be of 'merchantable quality'..................they obviously were not. Send them back for a refund.

Comment

• Seahorse
                Super Moderator
                Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                • Jun 2005

Thats the trouble with smokers, their sense of smell is totally lost so they dont even know what the smoke is effecting.
                https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

• Hagar
                  500+ Crafters Club
                  • Aug 2008

Urrgh, that sounds gross! I am an ex smoker and probably am too hating of the smell now. I would complain, especially if you cannot get rid of the smell.

Comment

• Caroleecrafts
                    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                    • May 2008

I have had this before with ribbons, needless to say never ordered from them again. I think if suppliers smoke that is their perogative but they should be mindful of the smell permeating their products and maybe smoke away from the goods.

Try putting in as bad with some pot pourri, this should lift the odour.

Comment

• Aviya Glass
                      Super Big Crafter
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                      Just a thought about the smell, having just read the other thread, rather than use vinegar can you put them in a bowl with bicarbonate of soda, that is a smell absorbing substance and is dry. It's what people use in cooking (I know you all probably know that -der me!!) but people also use it in their fridge to absorb smells.
                      Thanks Moonbeam Angel - I forgot about bicarb. I was so disappointed, I hate causing a fuss - sorry Peter I am such a coward - so I am unlikely to send them back but I really wont be able to work with them like that so I really hope the bicarb thing works. I have asthma so it really does affect me physically.

The sad thing is a lot of attention to detail has gone into the package as a whole and then all that effort is negated.

I don't mean to bash smokers they get that everywhere else but as mentioned if I let my cat cover everything in his fur I would expect people to be offended too whether they were pro/anti/allergic to cats.
                      Terry xxx
                      You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                      Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

• Di-Ce Beads
                        100+ crafts club
                        • Jan 2009

Smelly beads

Smoking in the work place! Isn't there a law about that?
                        Another intolerant smoker here. I never even thought about the smell when I and my husband smoked but now I find myself constantly saddened when stood in a shop and I smell a dirty old ashtray behind me and turn to find a well dressed attractive young thing who has obviously taken great pains to look great but reeks. Touch wood no smelly beads yet.
                        Di.

Comment

• nettie
                          Mega Crafter
                          • Jul 2008

When I've bought things off ebay most sellers put a warning if they're a smoker or non-smoker, pet owner or pet-free home, and some also say that if this offends please do not bid, or something like that - so that if the item does have an odour to it they could say that the buyer has been warned. The number of times I've opened an envelope and woosh, the smell of smoke, even when an item is in a wrapping, it's really horrible! I used to smoke years ago and thought I could cover up the smell with a polo mint!! Now I can smell a smoker a mile away! Perhaps a polite email 'hope you don't mind me saying' sort of thing may help?
                          Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

• just sally
                            Super crafter
                            • Oct 2008

as a smoker i was totally unaware that i smelled of smoke, my mother used to visit me then go on to my sisters and its only recently she has told me that she would wash all mum`s clothes to get rid of the smell of smoke.
                            i am trying very hard to stop
                            in saying that i don`t smoke in the house or around the jewellery i make. perhaps you should tell the person you bought from, even as a smoker i know its not pleasant for non smokers to smell stale smoke.

Comment

• Kay
                              100+ crafts club
                              • Dec 2007

Like Sally I am a smoker but I dont smoke in the house, I dont want my stuff smelling of smoke let alone anything I would sell. I even posted beads to my friend that doesnt smoke to see if they smelled (they didn't thank god) I also wash my hands before handling any of my craft stuff.
                              Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
                              I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

Working...
                              X