Whats the best way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way

To clean up old coins i put them in coke over night now some look lovely but others look worse

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Hi
    I would have said coke, full fat not the diet variety - reminds me of when I was younger and had to have a tooth taken out - my dentist gave me the tooth and told me to put it in a glass of coke for a few days - ugh - put me right off coke for a while.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Clearning old coins

Something I used on my copper leaf was Worcestershire sauce. That gets the oxides off or seems to.

But like everyone else I have always thought that coke was the best to use. Used to use it 40 years ago to clean my pennies for Brownies! so they havent changed the recipe much!
      Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

Originally posted by Cat'seyes View Post
        Something I used on my copper leaf was Worcestershire sauce. That gets the oxides off or seems to.

Used to use it 40 years ago to clean my pennies for Brownies! so they havent changed the recipe much!
        But has the recipe for pennies changed?

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thanks everyone i will try the coke again

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
            But has the recipe for pennies changed?

Jane
            It is old coins im using well its a sixpence so old but not that old

Comment

Tomato ketchup, brown sauce and coke are all things that work - try a mixture if you dare??? If you coin dissolves it wasn't me that suggested it
              On the TV tho Cillit Bang! and there's a shiny coin - wonder when they will make Cillit edible like all the other 'cleaning products' above
              Terry xxx
              You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
              Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I've never tried it, but would imagine it's the acid in those things that is dissolving impurities/oxydation on the surface of the coins. Coke contains phosphoric acid and ketchup acetic acid or vinegar to you. You could try white vinegar or lemon juice, they might well have the same effect.
                Elinor
                x

My Misi page
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I will try anything there not to bad but as there to go with my baby gifts i would just like them looking nice

Comment

I would have said Cillit Bang (and the dirt has gone!!)

but it costs and arm and a leg to buy!

or I would have thought vinegar or Coke but it will probably have to be the branded one - Coca Cola.

I say this because my ex-H used to drink gallons of the stuff and he had stomach probs (the doc said it was the coke rotting his stomach lining-he said pour some down a dirty toilet and see what happens) I tell you it works better than bleach!!!!!

Store own brands don't work as well though.

Good luck !!!
                    Diane
                    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                      I would have said Cillit Bang (and the dirt has gone!!)

but it costs and arm and a leg to buy!

or I would have thought vinegar or Coke but it will probably have to be the branded one - Coca Cola.

I say this because my ex-H used to drink gallons of the stuff and he had stomach probs (the doc said it was the coke rotting his stomach lining-he said pour some down a dirty toilet and see what happens) I tell you it works better than bleach!!!!!

Store own brands don't work as well though.

Good luck !!!
                      It is coca-cola i used as its the only drink i will drink lol i even collect anything with coca-cola on it

Comment

Working...
                      X