You bought what???!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You bought what???!!!!!!

I went into town today to get a few last minute bits - a couple of token presents, 2 cards I'd forgotten and some wrapping paper. I had 2 hours on the parking ticket and I'd got my things in only half an hour so I decided to have a look in Woolies to see if they had any bargains.

Nothing much left on the shelves really except chocolates and a few kids toys but guess what I bought? . . . . . a display stand! There was a corner dedicated to selling some of their display stands off and there are some right bargains to be had!

I can just see the puzzled looks on your faces thinking "what on earth is she buying something like that for when its so near to xmas?" Just what Urbtaf said when I came home and told him what I'd bought.

Did we need it? No, But it was a bargain!!!!!

Its an umberella stand with pegs on both sides for hanging stuff on (necklaces and pendants in our case) its very sturdy and its like new and the best bit . . . . ONLY £10! Something like this would cost a few hundred pounds new and I'd have probably paid around £50 if I'd got it off ebay.

Urbtaf wasn't too pleased though when I told him he had to go back to town to pick it up late this afternoon - Woolies is right in the middle of the shopping centre which is in the middle of the pedestrianised area in town centre.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

good buy!!!!! I never even thought about buying the display stands!! Guess where i'll be going tomorrow!!! ha ha
    Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Aha! Glad to know it's not just me then

Our local Pier shop is closing down and there were tiny little wire stands (would be ideal for displaying a card or a box ) lying about and I asked the girl if they were going to throw them out and she said probably so I asked if I could have them. She said yeah sure but let me just check with the manager, and came back and said £1 each ....I think not!!

I can wait

Comment

There used to be a large ornament gift type shop in the center of Manchester Arndale . When they closed down they sold of all there small acrylic block stands dirt cheap. I came home with 3 carrier bags full. My hubby had a fit. couple of years down the line eveyone is being used to display his ever increasing Dragon collection. lol
        Pity you don't have any storage space you could buy more and flog them on ebay.
        "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
        my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

How mad, we were in Woolies today looking at the display stands too! Popped in to get a few calenders for last minute pressies and saw the stands, hubby tried to persuade me to buy some but tbh they're a bit too big and bulky for my shop so I resisted. It was really quite sad actually in there, over half the stands are empty (and up for sale!) and only the dregs left now really - they are shutting on the 27th Dec but I'd be suprised if they've got anything left by then.

As a side note, one of my friends who is super organised and bought all her xmas pressies in the summer had to give her dad his pressie early as she'd bought him..........a Woolies voucher
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

My wife did the same once with a Thai 'screen' thing: turned out that it weighed 90kg and took 2 men to carry 1/4 mile to the car!

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
            As a side note, one of my friends who is super organised and bought all her xmas pressies in the summer had to give her dad his pressie early as she'd bought him..........a Woolies voucher
            LOL - oops! "Here's your present; you have one afternoon to spend it on toys, chocolates, or display stands"!
            If I ever make anything good enough to sell, I'll want to keep it!

http://mines.lumpylumpy.com/Electron...xNet/index.php

Comment

I once did a fair , terrible fair but I bought 5 display busts from a girl who was giving up fairs..I've got to nip into town tomorrow so I'm off to check my woolies for display stands now,lol.

A bargain is a bargain and you never know when you will need a display stand so I totally understand auntynet
              Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
              my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
              my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

I wouldnt have thought of buying the stands... great idea
                Mel

Comment

I know auntynets got an eye for a bargain, so I knew the stand would be good, and it is. Plus its better than the last bargain, 2 mahogany shop counters which I had to drive 100+ miles to collect from a guy that was not very happy that he had sold them for 99p each on E-BAY. I pretended to be just a courier, "nothing to do with me mate" was my parting shot as the brother in law and me loaded them into the van.

Comment

Genius, pure genius. You're a women after my own heart. I don't know how many times I've been in a shop and thought how well my jewellery would look display on your shelves or display cabinets.

Good on you
                    Carol
                    http://www.facebook.com/#!/CarolShawJewellery

Comment

You've gotta love a bargain would have been rude not to IMO
                      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
                      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
                      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Fantastic!!!

And you will own a bit of history too - an original Wollies stand!

Comment

Got to admit net did well, been at the market today and loaded up the "umberela" stand with pendants, It could have been designed for the job, and very stable, the old one kept getting knocked over,
                          Maybe the best £10 shes ever spent

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
                            Got to admit net did well, been at the market today and loaded up the "umberela" stand with pendants, It could have been designed for the job, and very stable, the old one kept getting knocked over,
                            Maybe the best £10 shes ever spent
                            My word, praise indeed. Should she get this framed do you think?
                            Does she rent you out, my DH could do with a few lesons. (Did I say 'a few'. Naaa. It would take a few more than that to cure a lifetime habbit. lol
                            Carol
                            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I was in our local Woolies today which is starting to look like the stock equivalent of the Marie Celeste. No display stands bargains to be found though, only the huge shelving units at a minimum of £50 a pop. Wouldn't have minded a decent tall wire display stand so may have to look at another local branch before they close down. I did chuckle at some Pick'N'Mix bags they had made up to sell off cheap... containing 4.8kg of sweets! Cavity central!!

Si.
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X