A little appreciation goes a long way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little appreciation goes a long way

A few weeks ago I had a table at a pub selling my jewellery. A young girl bought a bracelet that night and then came to see me on the market a few days later and asked if I could make her a necklace to match. She was having a party for her 18th birthday and the colours on the bracelet was the perfect match to her dress. I said I'd do my best cos the beads I used were a one-off strand of purple dyed pearls and I didn't know if I could match them up. Anyway, the other day I realised that I'd made a necklace with the remaining pearls so I took the necklace apart to use the pearls to get her what she wanted.

I started to make this on Thursday evening and at 9.30 pm I had a phone call to tell me that my sister in law had been rushed to hospital. Naturally this upset me but to make matters worse, an hour later I recieved another call to inform me that she had died. To say I was distraught is an understatement so I sat up half the night sobbing and eventually at about 3.00 am I finally realised that I had to do this necklace for this girl as I had promised her it would be ready to collect on Friday.

I spent a long time designing it, I added far too many sterling beads to realistically stay within the budget of the price I had quoted her and I also made a pair of matching earrings as a freebie cos it was her birthday. I made what I believed to be a stunning necklace and when my OH got up for work at 6.30 am I was just adding the finishing touches. He sent me to bed and went off to work.

When I got up later I rang him to ask if the girl was happy with it. He told me that she was very pleased with it and I was just glad that I had made something that she was happy with - you know how it is when someone tells you what colours they want but leaves the design to you!

Anyway on Saturday at the market I was busy trying to serve 2 customers at once when this young girl turned up. She wanted to come and see me in person to thank me for what I'd made for her and she handed me a thank-you card and a box of chocs . . . . . and I crumbled.

She will never know how much that meant to me - not only cos I gave her what she wanted but cos of the significance of the night that I made it. I never told her and I never will (she doesn't need to know) but I know you lot will understand when I say that I wanted to say how much that little gesture meant to me.

I am now sobbing my eyes out - don't know whether its cos I'm grieving for my sister in law, that I loved dearly, or whether its cos is 2.am on Sunday morning and I've consumed far too much alcohol. Probably a combination of both. Anyway - I think its time I went to bed.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Good night hone sleep well Babe. You deserve the praise for the work alone but after what you have been through you need a medal. you got me teary too now. Look after your self. Sweet dreams.
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

There are some good people out there and this was your Angel when you needed one. Thinking of you.

Comment

Kind of restores your faith in human nature doesn't it. Thinking of you Auntynet, Selina

Comment

((big hug))

Hope that by now you are sleeping peacefully in a warm bed.

thank you for sharing your story. The girl obviously recognised the effort you'd gone to. As you say it's wonderful to have apprecieative clients.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Oh Auntynet, I know that feeling! One warm cyber hug coming your way....
            Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

*** HUGS ***

What a lovely gesture from the young girl, and it must have meant so much more to you, especially in the circumstances.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Take care xxx

Comment

young people get so much bad press nowadays it`s lovely to hear a positive story. it must have given your spirit a lift at such a sad time.
                the angels must have sent her

Comment

awww bless.........had a lump in my throat while reading that!

Yes it does go a long way and isn't it funny that those little gestures given at the right time goes a long way

My aunty died on the same night auntynet and apart from hubby I've not spoken about it to anybody yet but I know my time will come when it hits me that's she's gone.

What a lovely girl she is and you my dear are a special person for carrying on with a promise you made to keep somebody happy. xx

Pauline
                  Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Aww I'm filling up reading that.

As you said, that girl will never know just what her kind gesture meant to you. Kind of makes you think, sometimes people are meant to cross our path at certain times in our lives doesn't it.

Comment

Annette you are a shining star - sending you reiki hugs xx
                      Chris xx
                      My Website
                      My Blog

Comment

That was such a lovely thing to do! I'm so sorry about your sister in law.

Take care, Debbie
                        Debbie
                        http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?id=1262375772

http://www.folksy.com/shops/purplemac

http://purplemac.misi.co.uk/

Comment

Aw thanks for your story AuntyNet, It brought this poem to mind.

“We shall pass this way
                          but once
                          All the good that can be done
                          do it now
                          For we shall not pass this way
                          again”

Folksy shop http://www.folksy.com/shops/Fairyweb

Comment

Best wishes auntynet xxx
                            Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Thanks everyone for your hugs and kind words - it really does help knowing that sometimes people that you've never met can feel for you. Isn't cyberspace a wonderful meeting place.

What I forgot to mention in my first post is that Thursday was also the anniversary of the day we burried my brother - it was 22 years ago but he was only 14 at the time and his death came as a total shock so it hit us all pretty bad and when the anniversary comes round every year all the family get a little emotional.

Pauline - I'm really sorry for your loss. You will grieve in your own way in your own time. And I'm passing on some of the hugs that have been sent to me. <<<<< HUGS>>>>>
                              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                              X