Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cost of new glasses !!

O. M. G.

I cannot believe what I have just had to fork out for a new pair of glasses ('varifocals' just to make me feel like a granny )... I've know for some time that I needed to have my eye's tested so I finally went to a well know high street store today and came out a few hundred quid lighter !

Not what I needed just before christmas even if it was a BOGOF deal...
    Mel

I need new specs too but I'm going to see what I can get in the States next month. Its usually dollars for pounds so even with the current exchange rate it should still be cheaper. Hopefully they'll be having a sale or a BOGOF as hubby wants to get eyes tested too! Selina

Comment

Originally posted by BeadsbyLili View Post
      O. M. G.

I cannot believe what I have just had to fork out for a new pair of glasses ('varifocals' just to make me feel like a granny )... I've know for some time that I needed to have my eye's tested so I finally went to a well know high street store today and came out a few hundred quid lighter !

Not what I needed just before christmas even if it was a BOGOF deal...
      Oh I know what you mean, I got some varifocals earlier this year & boy did it cost - they take some getting used to too. All the best with them
      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

I daren't even think about new ones just now, so I wear two pairs at once for close work!
        Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm plucking up courage to go for another eye-test - it's going to be expensive getting new lenses in 6 pairs of vari-focal, photochromic (frames all carefully chosen over the last 10 years before I retired - different colours and styles from eccentric to severe , for important meetings, and the oldest frame broke when I was on holiday and I don't think I'll find simiilar).
          ElaineJ soap and other stuff
          website
          blog

Comment

I know what you mean, i got told I need varifocals this year too - when i saw the cost of them i decided to squint a while longer
            www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

I've always worn the cheapest possible glasses (I do lots of extreme sports which sees my glasses flying off a lot) but last month when my wife was choosing some new ones because she needed them, I stumbled across a pair that were the only pair of glasses I've ever seen that I actually liked... So she ended up with two pairs for the price of one cheap pair and I, who still have the same prescription - not even a complicated one, ended up suddenly a couple of hundred of pounds lighter. I've been really pleased with them even though they're really just a couple of bits of glass and three bits of wire. I've persuaded myself it was the right thing to do by trying to put a price on seeing, and on looking descent (my old ones had lost all their plating and had started turning green).

Yesterday I met my five-year old boy at school, bent down to kiss him just at the same time as he threw a fist up to hug my neck... Something went wrong in the middle and he thumped me square in the eye and my shiny new glasses smashed to the ground on their lens... without smashing! Some random little girl picked them up and passed them to me and they weren't even scratched! So now I'm pretty impressed with them: they're not just glass and wire, there's some kind of voodoo involved too, and that's got to be worth money
              If I ever make anything good enough to sell, I'll want to keep it!

http://mines.lumpylumpy.com/Electron...xNet/index.php

Comment

My aunt and uncle get theirs from Glasses Direct (I think that's their name). They have a catalogue and prices start from about £15, something silly like that anyway. All you have to do is let them have your prescription and then they make them up with their frames. And they aren't naff either, imo anyway! Quite designer-looking ones I think.
                Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

We waited until we went to India at the beginning of this year before getting my new specs and hubby's first ever specs. I got 2 pairs for about £50 and hubby got perscription sunglasses and some rimless glasses (that make him look very preppy and sexy imho ) for about £80. We like to kid ourselves that the savings we made paid for the holiday!
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nettie View Post
                    My aunt and uncle get theirs from Glasses Direct (I think that's their name). They have a catalogue and prices start from about £15, something silly like that anyway. All you have to do is let them have your prescription and then they make them up with their frames. And they aren't naff either, imo anyway! Quite designer-looking ones I think.
                    I was looking at that site, but no-one I knew had used them so was a bit hesitant
                    www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

Hiya Pagan, my aunt and uncle have used them a couple of times now I believe, and they are VEry impressed with them. They would definitely say if they'd not been good! hehe... Service quick too, within days anyway.
                      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Originally posted by nettie View Post
                        Thanks for that Nettie, I've just had a look and they are quite reasonable. Love the virtual mirror, lol...just gotta take me a good photo now.
                        Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn Faerie View Post
                          Oh I know what you mean, I got some varifocals earlier this year & boy did it cost - they take some getting used to too. All the best with them
                          I hope i do get used to them... they said it would take a couple of weeks (does that mean I will be stumbling around bumping into everything... oh no... the bruises !)
                          Mel

Comment

Originally posted by BeadsbyLili View Post
                            I hope i do get used to them... they said it would take a couple of weeks (does that mean I will be stumbling around bumping into everything... oh no... the bruises !)
                            I was fine after an afternoon - bit of a problem when I came to drive home after work though.

I discovered that I could only read road signs at a suitable distance through the top of the lenses - no problem on a familiar road but driving with my chin tucked into my chest on an unfamiliar road wasn't on. So I found a laybye with road signs at a distance which I would want to read them and carefully bent the legs until the angle was right.

Took them into the optician the next day and he took some measurements - all subsequent lenses have been fine.

I still don't need them for reading - wearing varifocals for reading means that your head is going up and down like a nodding dog in the back of a car!!

Eventually though, because I sewed and crocheted without the specs, I found that I couldn't thread fine needles and the bottom part of the varifocals wasn't deep enough.

So I took my needle and thread to the opticians and showed him the position where I wanted to hold the needle and he sorted me out with sewing specs - next time I'm tested I'll have these as half lenses thhough as when I look up I can hardly see anything clearly (if I watched TV I think I'd have to have bifocals for sewing/watching).
                            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                            website
                            blog

Comment

I've never paid through the nose for my specs - although receiving one of the qualifying benefits to get NHS ones does help.

My last pair cost me £10 and a week later my sister bought almost the same frames without NHS consessions and she paid almost £200 for hers! And even she admits she can't tell the difference between mine and hers.

My dad who is the biggest cheapskate going gets his eyes tested free as he's a pensioner and he's lucky cos his prescription is the same for both eyes (he needs +2 lenses) so he just goes to the poundshop and finds a pair that suit him with the correct magnification. Doesn't work for me though cos my eyes are both different.
                              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                              X