Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor cat - dont know what to do....

Hi all!

Im not sure what to do here. Im an animal lover and in particular, i love cats. I already have a cat but another poor wee cat has been hanging about my house. There is some background to this cat. Its "owners" (and i use this word lightly) live a couple of streets away. I sometimes see the cat sleeping outside under their window or sitting looking in the window to get in.

About 6 months ago i was talking to another lady who lives on our estate and we were talking about this cat. Turns out she has been feeding it and had bought a little outhouse for the cat as it looked very thin. She had went around to the "owners" house to ask if the cat was ok and they basically said that they didnt want it anymore !!!! So this other lady was doing her bit to look after it but didnt let it in the house as she had 2 kittens plus this poor wee cat had flee's. A few weeks ago, i noticed that this wee outhouse has now gone from this ladies garden and after speaking to her she said that she is no longer looking after it as it was frightening her kittens and it gave them flees. So now the poor wee cat has arrived at my door! It has an infection in one eye and i think it might have went blind in that eye due to it not being treated. Its also very thin. Iv been feeding it whenever i see it but now its sleeping outside my front door! Its very friendly and it just wants a cuddle and a warm house! I feel so bad. I sssoooo want to take it in and love it but Alans going Ape that im feeding it at all! Plus i dont think my cat would take kindly to another entering the house.

On Friday, i phoned the SSPCA and reported the owners for neglect but im all too awair that the SSPCA put animals down and i dont want this to happen.

Any advice??? Is anyone still there after reading all that ????
    Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Check out your nearest rep for Cats Protection
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

Comment

already did. they are full and didnt even answer the phone!!! There was just a message saying that you had to phone the SSPCA!
      Snowf1975

Comment

Don't want to correct you to much on this. Phone the S.S.P.C.A there job is to deal with cruelty cases and neglect and this is exactly what has happened to this poor wee cat.
        The only thing that they will ask you to do for them is to contain it for them to collect.
        If it has fleas the it will probably have worms which is why it will be thin . It will need a proper vet check as well . I used to work for the Society and to the best of my knowledge and experience we never put animals down that would respond to vet treatment . Unfortunately working with cruelty cases oftens means that by the time you get them to the vet it's to late.

If you need any help just P.M me and I will do my best to get you advice.

Cheers Janice
        www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

Poor wee cat - can you afford to get a phial of de-flea stuff (can't think of the name, you snip the end off and put the contents on the back of the cat's neck) and sneak it to the vet to have its eye treated?

Long term is a problem as I gather people are leaving pets at sanctuaries etc. or dumping them because of the credit crunch.
          website
          blog

Comment

I'd have taken it in by now and my other cats would just have to deal with it!!LOL Seriously though I would try calling the vet and see if they do RSPCA treatment which won't cost you anything. We did this with a little poorly cat that we found. The vet said they would cover the cost of the tests and we would take it from there. Turned out she had acute kidney failure and had to be put down, broke Richards heart even though it wasn't our pet, the vet did it all for free in the end, Selina

Comment

Hi Rodeo Lady, i DID phone the SSPCA on Friday. I chased them up again today and the lady said that it had been passed on and id to phone back in 5 days!!! Phoned the Catx protaection again today and left a message saying that i was looking for advice and told the story to the answering machine. Anyway, im just back from the shops and the cats protection had called back and spoke to my hubby. They said that id to phone the SSPCA tomorrow again and if nothings been done, phone them back and they will deal with it.

Selina, id love to take it in but my cat is old and really doesnt like other cats. And my hubby isnt too keen on cats but he puts up with mine as we came as a pair !

Im just so stressed about this little cat and im constantly wondering where it is! Poor wee lamb.
              Snowf1975

Comment

Do you have PDSA in Scotland (People's Disensary for Sick Animals)? They are a bit like the RSPCA, they will give treatment for a donation if you can afford it or for free. Hope you can resolve the problem, its a shame to let it suffer but as an owner of two cats and a dog I know how expensive drugs and treatment are.
                www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Its so nice to see someone wanting to help! Makes a change lol. Keep on to the SSPCA. They certainly dont put animals down unless they need to (medical wise). But they are very busy! They rely on public donation only so are always strapped for cash!
                  Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

The poor little thing. I can't believe how uncaring some people can be to animals (the owners I mean). If they weren't prepared to look after it properly they shouldn't have got it in the first place ...it's that simple.

It must be a real dilema for you SNOWF1975, I can imagine how you feel.

For what it's worth I found that our local Cats Protection do a brilliant job. That's where we got our little kitty from. She was abandoned in their car park a week before Christmas. How could you ...I mean, just how could you???

The only thing I can offer you is to stick with the 'rescue' services as others have advised and maybe if you feel strongly enough about it take some direct action yourself. If the ex-owners have really disowned it you could take it upon yourself to take it to the vets and get it treated (sorry, I know I'm potentially spending your money for you here!!!) and then try and find it a home ...much easier said than done I know ...but you never know. I'm sure there are other people out there with hearts just as kind as yours.

I truly hope there is a happy ending!

Regards.
                    Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

I got my cat from Cats Protection too! That was 9 years ago now. But they are full as per usual.

Please rest assured that i will not let this little cat come to any harm. The SSPCA told me to discourage it from my door and not to feed it because they have to see the cat in its true condition to be able to prosicute the "owners". Which i do understand but if its not at my door then where is she going to go???? It was back at my doot#r today and my OH chased it!!! I have decided to feed it just once in the morning to keep at least some of the hunger away...until i know for sure that something is being done.

I really want to take the wee thing to the vets and get her sorted myself but i just lost all my benefit and really have NO MONEY. And i cant go to the PDSA becuase my OH earns too much for us to qualify for free treatment. I cant get money for the cats treatment from my OH because he disaproves of my involvment just now never mind anything else and its causing problems in the house!!!

So, the plan is... to feed it in the morning. Phone the SSPCA again tomorrow and if i cant get anywhere there..... i'll get back onto the Cats Protection. I might suggest that i let it into the house and they come to mine to have a look at it as long as its during the OH's working hours and then he will be none the wiser.
                      Snowf1975

Comment

update. finally managed to speak to the SSPCA inspector that should be dealing with this case. She said that she "was only told about this case on friday and she is OFF THE WEEKEND so she might get round to it today"!!!!!

I couldnt believe it! Im not saying that she shouldnt have the weekend off but shouldnt someone else deal with her cases over the weekend!!!

So, the wee cat is going to the cats protection vets tomorrow morning. They are going to treat her and take her in even although they are full. YAY!!
                        Snowf1975

Comment

Glad to hear things are getting sorted and you know you did your absolute best for the little one. Both mine are rescue cats too, I'm now looking for a rescue Bengal, unlikely I know but will keep trying! Selina

Comment

Good news!
                            website
                            blog

Comment

Great news, I had hoped Cats Protection would come through and finally they have! Well done them ...but mainly 'well done you' for not giving up.

I'm sure little kitty is very grateful.

Regards.
                              Fair Do.

Fair Do's!

Comment

Working...
                              X