Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being selfish/silly/naive??

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I'm working full time at the moment in a pretty well paid job and although I don't dislike the work, though the 8am starts are killing me, I find that every minute I'm thinking of my crafty business and what I need to do, new ideas, things to get involved with, etc. But after I get home from work I'm so exhausted and have to cook and clean and chore s'more that I don't really have any time or energy left for crafting.

So, I'm really considering going part-time but this place won't let me so I'd have to find a part time job somewhere else. But I'm only 25, have no savings, rent my house and have credit cards to pay off. Am I being selfish and silly and naive by even thinking that I could go part time and "follow my dream"?

I've done some very simple budgeting and I know that I could only just live off what I make part time plus any sales from my craft business would be an added bonus, but my very supportive boyfriend has said that he'd be happy to support me, but he's not on a lot. Is it unfair on him? Wait, I know the answer to that one already.

Should I just grin and bear it and get on with the day job?

Thanks in advance for your advice. It's always valued and helpful!
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

I'm a bit like you however I start at 7am and finish at 2.30pm so generally pretty shattered.

I have decided to stay put in my full time job and work my tail off on the craft front for the moment. I don't think it is a good idea to got part time at the mo with the credit crunch luxury items aren't a necessity so decided to wait until things pick up again but that is just my choice.

HTH.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Right now, the financial climate is very unsure. I really wouldn't take the risk. Perhaps look for another job that would suit you better. People are really cutting down on spending at the mo and until the market starts to pick up I'd say the priority is to keep a roof over your head and concentrate on getting your CC's paid off.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I love your sites x x

How about giving youself 6 months, putting aside the money that you will be losing out on.

Also use the 6 months to see exactly how much stock / Sales you make over that period.

In 6 months time you will see how you can cope without the Extra money and also have some savings at your disposal when you reassess your situation.

Your ultimate goal is a long term one and I would advise breaking it down into small short term, achievable goals to help you reach the Big one at the end with more vigor and confidence.

x x
        "Buffys Charms" my lil ol' Blog

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

This is a difficult time, I can understand how you feel, I was in a part-time job, supposedly the reason was to do my craft whilst I had an income, did this work? No, so tired when I got home that did not achieve much.
          Left employment in February mainly as I had a change of boss and he was a MCP and a bully, could not stand it any longer so DH and I left, we do however, have savings which we know will take us through to the first pension and lump sum in 7 years time, if we are careful, the house is paid for and we owe no one any money. I must admit without this financial plan I would be looking for another job. On the bright side I now have the time to do everything I want to do in the business line, making and networking groups etc, in fact I now do not know how I ever had time to work.

To go back to your situation I think you should have at least 6 months funds for bills etc behind you before taking the plunge and a supportive partner, however, now is a good a time as any on the run up to Christmas but accept that things will be quiet after and will probablyu not pick up much before Easter. One thing I will say I can now shop much more cheaply as I make everything from scratch, which when you are working you do n ot have time to do so it does have its plus points as I tell my friends we are borke but happy!

What ever you decide we at the forum will always listen and support you, good luck.

Comment

Hi,

As the saying goes... last in, first out. I agree with the above excellent advice, now is not a good time to change when you have a well paid job. If you get a new job and the crunch gets 'crunchier' you may be in a worse situation, esp as you have cc's to pay off.

You are right to want to follow your dream and lucky enough to be able to do it a lot sooner than most who wake up after years of work and wonder why they didnt change sooner.

I know that is not quite what you wanted to hear and at any other time than a major economic downturn I would say Go for it!!! So I wish you well with whatever decision you make.

Terry xx
            Terry xxx
            You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
            Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I guess I agree with the others.

I'm in a very similar situation! it's hard to say what you should do as it's your choice but I think it's a good idea to keep the money aside for 6 mnths - try and live on a part time salary and see what happens! It also depends on how long you've been running your company for as their is a steep learning curve and there is deffo an art to getting the balance right between the company and having a life beyond that.

I don't think you're being slefish trying to follow your dream though - not at all!
              Caroline

Diamond Ideas

http://www.diamondideas.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/DiamondIdeas01

Diamond Ideas is also on facebook!

Go on, add some sparkle to your project!

Comment

Some absolutely fab advice from those above. When I went part-time from my old job we had quite a lot of savings in the bank and I'd already calculated that we'd manage on one and a half wages. It was tough as I'd earnt more than hubby and we had to change a few things like buying the cheaper brands but we managed. When I left my job completely to focus on the business it was a decision made for me really - I'd been off work for 2mths following quite a traumatic event and couldn't really face going back plus the business was taking up a lot of my time. Much much tougher now financially as I don't have that guarenteed set income every month.

Love Buffy's idea of putting away what you'd be losing out on for 6 months - that'll be the real test of whether you'd manage on 1.5 wages.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I agree with most other people have said, but I wonder why you don't have time to craft?

I presume you get a lunch break? Do you have other commitments like kids that are using up your after work time? What sort of things do you do at the weekend?

I have a really mental-hectic schedule at the moment but I still get my crafting bits and bobs in by either getting up and doing some stuff before work (not usual, just if I am feeling particularly energetic) (oh and I start work at 8.30am so almost as early as you...), or using my lunch hours to fill orders or update my online shops. As for actually getting the crafting done, I know I have one weekday evening spare that I can use for crafting or whatever I feel like doing, so I usually end up collating my best ideas and thinking them through until I have a good idea of exactly how I'm going to proceed.

I know work can be tiring, but why not try crafting in front of the telly after work, that way you kill 2 birds with one stone? You're relaxing and crafting! Obviously I don't know the specifics of what you do, but I'm sure you can fit in some more crafting time if you re-shuffle things a bit.

FWIW As well as my 8.30-5pm job I teach martial arts Mondays, (get home 10pm) Tuesdays (get home 9pm) and Thursdays (get home 9pm), I'm also training for my 2nd Dan, which takes about every spare minute in the gym but when I'm not training, I am crafting, or getting stuff in order for the various shows or updating my website or filling in orders. I'm also 25 and I feel that if I don't have the energy to do all this now, I never will!

If your boyfriend is happy to support you, can't he "cook and clean and chore s'more" instead of you? We are in the 21st century now ya know

Comment

Originally posted by flurogoddess View Post
                    I agree with most other people have said, but I wonder why you don't have time to craft?

I presume you get a lunch break? Do you have other commitments like kids that are using up your after work time? What sort of things do you do at the weekend?

I have a really mental-hectic schedule at the moment but I still get my crafting bits and bobs in by either getting up and doing some stuff before work (not usual, just if I am feeling particularly energetic) (oh and I start work at 8.30am so almost as early as you...), or using my lunch hours to fill orders or update my online shops. As for actually getting the crafting done, I know I have one weekday evening spare that I can use for crafting or whatever I feel like doing, so I usually end up collating my best ideas and thinking them through until I have a good idea of exactly how I'm going to proceed.

I know work can be tiring, but why not try crafting in front of the telly after work, that way you kill 2 birds with one stone? You're relaxing and crafting! Obviously I don't know the specifics of what you do, but I'm sure you can fit in some more crafting time if you re-shuffle things a bit.

FWIW As well as my 8.30-5pm job I teach martial arts Mondays, (get home 10pm) Tuesdays (get home 9pm) and Thursdays (get home 9pm), I'm also training for my 2nd Dan, which takes about every spare minute in the gym but when I'm not training, I am crafting, or getting stuff in order for the various shows or updating my website or filling in orders. I'm also 25 and I feel that if I don't have the energy to do all this now, I never will!

If your boyfriend is happy to support you, can't he "cook and clean and chore s'more" instead of you? We are in the 21st century now ya know
                    Flurogoddess - thanks for your response. I'm not sure what your aim was but I took it to be to make me feel bad for my situation in comparison to yours and if I'm honest, I found it quite patronising.
                    I don't know what conclusion you have made about me from my summary of a post, but I'd like to reassure you that my bf also chores and I don't wait on him as you probably think I do. But there is still the other half of the housework that needs doing even though he does his half.
                    I already spend all my spare time on my craft and this includes in front of the TV and on my lunch hour but short of taking my equipment and materials to work with me, there is only so much I can do so it is mainly restricted to working on my online shops.
                    I didn't put my weekly schedule on the post as I didn't feel it was necessary. I wasn't asking for help with fitting in the craft where I can. I could craft constantly for 8 hours 5 days per week plus 17 hours on Saturdays and Sundays if I wanted to, and was fed intravenously, but the point is that I am just exhausted and don't feel motivated. But whilst we're on the subject, I also teach Chinese (voluntarily) on Sundays for 4 hours and am learning French and clothes-making in my spare time if this makes it any more acceptable.
                    As you've probably already gathered from this thread alone, as well as the whole forum, everyone on here is at different stages of their craft. A lot are hobbyists and some are lucky enough to do it full time and without knowing what stage a particular person is at, it is wrong to criticise their dedication to their craft.
                    I only registered my business earlier this year and have been working very hard on developing it into what will hopefully be a full time career that will last for many years. With that in mind, there are a lot of activities and events that I am involved with both online and in the "real" world and there have been many events that I have had to turn down, just because I know that with my full time job, I will not be able to prepare and stock up enough and it is this that makes me think I should be working part time. My job was meant to finance me while I built up my business, but it has come to a point now where the job is restricting the growth and opportunities that my business could potentially make.
                    I know this particular post will make me unpopular with yourself and probably quite a few other forum members, but I wanted you to know how your response came across, and also to be a little more understanding and not as presumptuous of your fellow forum members. There are a lot of aspects to everyone's life that you may not know about and comparing their situation to yours may not be very tactful if there an a factor that you are not aware of.
                    Yvonne
                    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
                    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

I would've hoped that it wouldn't have come across that way. I am trying to be supportive like everyone else, however I took a different angle from the people saying "don't give up the day job just yet" to see if there were any options that you hadn't already covered.

You said yourself that "I don't really have any time or energy left for crafting."

Only trying to help.
                      Last edited by flurogoddess; 23-09-2008, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Following your dream.

If you truely want to follow your dream and try to earn a living from your crafts then you need to be one hundred per cent motivated as now is a very difficult time to be trading. It is a good time to start if you can fund yourself for a year or so, because if you can survive now, you will be in a strong position when things improve. If you feel a bit unsure, I would say wait for a while, but if you are feeling very motivated and full of enthusiasm then I would say go for it.
                        Everyone on the forum comes from a different perspective and sometimes wires get a bit crossed and sometimes comments appear patronising but on the whole everyone has the common aim of sharing experiences and helping each other, I think it is good that you drew attention to this because sometimes feelings can get a bit bruised.
                        Good luck with whatever you do.
                        Chris W.
                        x
                        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Originally posted by flurogoddess View Post
                          I would've hoped that it wouldn't have come across that way. I am trying to be supportive like everyone else, however I took a different angle from the people saying "don't give up the day job just yet" to see if there were any options that you hadn't already covered.

You said yourself that "I don't really have any time or energy left for crafting."

Only trying to help.
                          I think this could have been taken a little the wrong way by Mymiyel. Reading through Flurogoddessessessesse's post I think the intention was to be 'motivational' rather than confrontational, sometimes we all need a kick up the back end, and, be honest, that's what you got! Remember we are from all walks of life, all types of background, and all styles of language presentation......................sometimes it's the gist of the post, rather than the words, that is important. I don't think any offence was intended here..........................so kiss and make up or yer banned!

Comment

I think no harm was intended by any parties, after all non of us really knows what the person asking the question is really going through completely.

I know when I was working albeit part time people could not understand why I did not have the motivation or energy to do more in the crafting line. I was in a very stressful job which takes a lot out of you, also my Mother who had been diagnosed with Alzhiemers and a MIL who I did and still do all the weekly cooking for. My circumstances have now changed but I know that sometimes I wanted to do more crafting but felt torn between other outside factors and guilty that I was putting that first, consequently you become chicken and egg situation and end up doing nothing. You get to a situation that you think may be the other alternative, in your case going part-time may be easier, sometimes it is and sometimes it is not, only you can make that decision.

I have a friend who gave up her part-time job to concentrate on her aromatherapy, her husband of the time was next to useless and did not have nor wanted a proper job, not as in your case, she worked hard 24/7 and it has finally paid off, she now does not regret the decision she made.

You will find that we will all suport you here and you always have a shoulder in the members of the forum and a place to ask questions and hopefully receive answers.

Follow your dream in whatever way you feel is right for you, post your progress and fears and we can go on the journey with you.

Comment

I am a strong believer in following your dream... but it all depends on how much of a risk taker you are. I want to experience everything in life and won't let anything hold me back, hence my recent decision to give up full time work completely and try my hand at being self employed . Make sure you have no regrets about the decision you come too, but if it works, it could be amazing!!

Stacey

Comment

Working...
                              X