Childhood memories pt II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childhood memories pt II

OMG Sweet's other post has just taken me right back to a memory from when I was a teeny (yeah I know, I'm not much bigger now!) tot

(any delicate-minded boys might have to stop reading at this point or sign a disclaimer so I'm not to blame for your embarrassment)

Does anyone remember the really (really) old....erm....sanitary wear?
    Big knickers with hook things and the....erm.....towels had big loops on the ends?

...Now go back many years and picture little Shaz finding her mum's in a drawer then happily walking into the living room wearing it "a la mode" on top of her head like a lovely hat, with a loop fashionably hooked beneath each ear...

Well it seemed a logical way to wear it to me

Shaz x
    PS I made a card today, honest!
    Keepsake Kollections
    & Rossendale Ramblings!
    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

That was a naughty memory.

remember when I was 15 and just started my first jobn. (Had to work Saturday mornings in offices those days) I had a phone call from my mom one Sat morning asking me to pick up some scraps for dog meat from a nearby butchers - she had pre arranged it.
    Duly picked it up - it was a losley wrapped newspaper parcel - and went t catch the bus home lugging this parcel and my own bags.
    Bus was full - standing room only and there was already 200 standing. (Slight exageration). I was pushed to the rear of the bus. The parcel got heavy so I thought I would put it in the parcel rack, lifted my arms to shove it in. The parcel fell appart and three sheeps heads, complete with fur and eyes, rolled into a fat ladies lap. She screemed and I hurriedly got off at the next stop.
    I had to wait 2 hours for the next bus home.
    Carol
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Priceless!!!! Both of them!!! I actually do remember the knickers and the hooked towels, felt like you were wearing a housebrick. I love sheep Carol but don't think even I could have handled that, Selina

Comment

I remember them too.
        Before I was old enough to know what they were I remember seeing them for sale in the chemists and thinking they were small towelling towels, like flannels and wondering why mum didn't buy them cos they were really cheap.
        When I was in hospital with my first baby ( 21 years ago) I asked my MIL to bring me in some towels and instead of the modern stick on ones she brought me a pack of them !! I had to cut the thread one side and tie them on to the top of my knickers.

Melanie

Comment

You lasses don't know you are born - these unmentionables were soooo big there was no disguising your condition. ugh.
          Carol
          Carol

Comment

My mum bought me a 'sanitary belt' when I first started with those house bricks to wear, thank god things improved as I got older!! Have PM'd you Carol, Selina

Comment

Oh, yes, I remember the belts and towels! Awful, horrible things, that shed cotton-wool everywhere... I caused great shock in the household by opting for the new and startling lil-lets instead!
              Cheers,
              Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
              Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Ow I've got a better one to top that off. My mum told me the sanitary towels with the hoops were bandages - guess who used to sneak them out the house and wear them on her leg to school pretending she had hurt her ankle!!!

Ow god I cringe at the thought !!!

Hehe.

Lisa
                Bowed Over
                Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                  Ow I've got a better one to top that off. My mum told me the sanitary towels with the hoops were bandages - guess who used to sneak them out the house and wear them on her leg to school pretending she had hurt her ankle!!!

Ow god I cringe at the thought !!!

Hehe.

Lisa
                  Excellent story!!!!!

Si.
                  Wood Tattoos
                  Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                  Facebook
                  Flickr
                  Twitter

Comment

I have my aged Aunt sitting next to me reading all these and she has wet herself laughing.
                    Carol
                    Carol

Comment

I have my aged Aunt sitting next to me reading all these and she has wet herself laughing.
                      It sounds as if she could do with some of them herself.

Melanie

Comment

I remember one of the most embarrasing things I have ever seen, when as a brownie we went camping and the brown owl went off to the latrines and came back with the used ST was hanging visibly over the back of her skirt, probably because had unhooked at the front when she thought she had fastened it and as she pulled her knickers up she was unaware that it had been flipped up behind and over her skirt. The worst thing was that as she left the latrine she had walked into a group of people including the vicar and the town council and then turned around to talk to a group of brownies. OMG something I have never forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
                          It sounds as if she could do with some of them herself.

Melanie
                          Thats just what she said.
                          Carol
                          Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                            Carol
                            And that's another problem we women have to deal with from time to time once we've produced the ofspring.
                            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Mmm. I could probably quote you chapter and verse.
                              I said 'could' not 'would'
                              Carol
                              Carol

Comment

Working...
                              X