A failed break in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A failed break in??

Oh blimey!!! I think someone tried to get in our backdoor during the night!!! The lady over the road said that the two dogs were going mad about 3.20 am this morning!!! We decided to phone the police as it seems very suspicious. I decided to iron outside in the sun this afternoon, I turned round to put a hanger on the door for a shirt and noticed all the scratches on the white handle and the actual handle is loose. It is a new door because of our new extension. It's scary as Bob will be working away next week!!!!!I am waiting for the police to phone and tell me when they will call round. Will update when I know something!!!!!!! Sue xx
    http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Gosh Sue, thankfully they didn't get in. Hope the door is still secure for you and hopefully the dogs will frighten any likely intruders away. Selina

Comment

Cripes!Hope the police sort it out.

I have a knife within handy reach at night.Cant be too careful nowadays.
      Weve also been burgled 3 times but luckily we wernt in.

Did you have any money or credit cards on show from the window?

Dont be scared, most people in this world are nice.

Let us know how things go with the police.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
        I have a knife within handy reach at night.
        I would think twice about using it if I were you as the tables can easily be turned.

My advice is to get your hubby (or anyone) to put up a security light before he goes away. You can get them for well under £20 and a light coming on will deter most would-be burglars. Money well spent in my opinion.

I'd also make sure I had a phone near me when I go to bed and I'd NEVER walk downstairs to confront them like they do in the movies! Just ring the police if you hear anything - even if you're mistaken they will understand if you've already had problems.

And if you're really scared, get someone to stay over with you.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

What a horrible feeling - if you feel really threatened perhaps someone can come & stay or maybe you can get some of those little door/window alarms fitted (the ones that go off with vibrations) - at least some kind of audible alarm might scare them away?
          Mel

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
            I would think twice about using it if I were you as the tables can easily be turned.

My advice is to get your hubby (or anyone) to put up a security light before he goes away. You can get them for well under £20 and a light coming on will deter most would-be burglars. Money well spent in my opinion.

I'd also make sure I had a phone near me when I go to bed and I'd NEVER walk downstairs to confront them like they do in the movies! Just ring the police if you hear anything - even if you're mistaken they will understand if you've already had problems.

And if you're really scared, get someone to stay over with you.
            Thanks everyone!!! Yes, Bob has been looking at security lights and will put something up before he goes away. Not heard from the police yet. The door is still secure, we are not too sure what they thought they would achieve as it is a double lock door and even with the handle off It wouldn't have helped them much!! Mind you, these days you never know!!! Will keep you posted! Sue xx

Comment

A failed break-in

Good advice from Auntynet. The Police might take a little longer if they are true to form. I've known them to take up to a week to follow up an enquiry. Makes you want to rush out and buy a Rottweiler (spelling not too good). Do go for the outside light though. It scares them off if they can be seen.
              Carol
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

It'll be good if Bob can get a security light up before he goes Sue. I wouldnt be surprised if the dogs barking did scare them off but, if they do happen to come back for another look, the fact you've installed it will show them you've taken action so they may well just walk away

The other things I like to dot around the house are those automated light switcher-onner-jobbies. Theyre cheap enough for you to be able to buy a handful and pop them all over the place then merrily set your timers up so they come on at various times around the house - making it look like you've got up in the middle of the night once or twice and put the loo light on, maybe the landing, and definitely your kitchen if thats where the offending backdoor attempt was

Dont let it scare you too much though babe, if you take some sensible precautions, they'll move on to somebody else who hasnt

Love
                Shaz x
                Keepsake Kollections
                & Rossendale Ramblings!
                http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Originally posted by Focus on Life View Post
                  It'll be good if Bob can get a security light up before he goes Sue. I wouldnt be surprised if the dogs barking did scare them off but, if they do happen to come back for another look, the fact you've installed it will show them you've taken action so they may well just walk away

The other things I like to dot around the house are those automated light switcher-onner-jobbies. Theyre cheap enough for you to be able to buy a handful and pop them all over the place then merrily set your timers up so they come on at various times around the house - making it look like you've got up in the middle of the night once or twice and put the loo light on, maybe the landing, and definitely your kitchen if thats where the offending backdoor attempt was

Dont let it scare you too much though babe, if you take some sensible precautions, they'll move on to somebody else who hasnt

Love
                  Shaz x
                  As usual your comments are like a soothing balm!!! - even though sometimes you make me laugh out loud!! You always say the right thing !!
                  I wish you were my next door neighbour Shaz!!! What a laugh we'd have!!!
                  I am sure Bob will sort something out before he goes. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get the GORGEOUS policeman that I sometimes see around the area. That will perk me up!!! He He . Sue xx

Comment

My personal advice would be to keep all handbags, car/house keys, purses, mobile phones, etc, under your bed at night or (at the very least) well out of view of all ground floor windows. Potential burglars may have a look around first to see what is on offer as they will not want to risk having to search late at night: they will want to be in, grab what they want and be gone as quickly as possible to avoid waking residents up.

Plan your garden defensively as well. Consider what plants you grow under windows (spiny or spiky ones can be good!) and use gravel wherever possible due to the noise it makes when people walk on it.

And above all else... don't have nightmares.

Si.
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

Sounds a bit worrying, at least they didn't actually get in. Just try and stay positive and hopefully the dogs will alert you or scare off any likely intruders anyway. Someone I work with had 2 handbags stolen from their kitchen while everyone was still in the house in the middle of the day a couple of months back. They had left their back door open as they have dogs running in and out all the time and the bags were right by the door. I always make a habit of putting anything that might look tempting (empty handbags etc) right out of sight so it doesn't look so easy to find things. Hopefully your dogs will keep you company and the security light will help!
                      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Scary - but keep yourself safe

What a horrible experience - but you really shouldn't even think of using a knife! Firstly, if anyone got in and you used it against them it would be seen as premeditated and not self defence and you could end up in serious trouble, and secondly you'd have to get awfully near to an intruder to use it, they'd probably overpower you and you'd end up being stabbed. Definitely not a good idea.
                        If you do want to have something for protection (and who can blame you!) you'd be far better off with a golf club or something that can deliver a heft knock without you getting too near, and also it's not automatically deemed an offensive weapon so you would stand less chance of finding yourself in trouble if you ever had to defend yourself with it.
                        Gravel is a really good idea outside 'cos of the noise, and security lighting which comes on when it senses movement must be offputting to would-be thieves. Isn't it awful that you even have to think of such things!
                        www.doodlesartandcraft.co.uk

Find us on Facebook
                        http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...y/173605348873

Crafters DON'T do housework!

Comment

knowing that somone is trying to get into your home is terrible news
                          the
                          good news is that they diddent if you look at it that way
                          maybe leave a light on but i would phone the police and say some one is breaking in the house dont say i think they will sent some one out stright away
                          we got burgled 7 years ago i was epecting about 6 month i had gone to pick the childern up from school but forgot there club bag so i went back to pick it up not even 5 mins away i unlocked the door walked in the living room and they they was they looked at me and ran out the back door as it was smased so they must have done it they diddent do nothing to me as i think we was both shocked but i was in a right state i rang steve and toild him at work and with in a flash the plice was there they took forensic but diddent find a single thing and it was too quick to see there faces it was horible cause it was my sons birthday that day and his cake was ruined with glass
                          Love Chaze2k7 xx

Comment

What a horrid experience, my heart goes out to you. I agree with the other comments about a security light. Is it possible to get something like a mace spray, to keep by your bed? Not that I think you'll need it but it gives a sense of being able to defend yourself and it's better than a knife.
                            I'd ask the police for their advice too, I'm sure they must be experts when it comes to making your home secure.
                            Many years ago (when I was married) my hubby had to go away for a few days, so, I borrowed my sister's dog, who just stayed with me during the night time. I've heard, on lots of occasions, that burglers are really put off by dogs.
                            I know it's a really scarey time for you but please don't think that all the advice you've been given is because we think it will happen again, rather, it's just trying to find ways to give you a feeling of security in your own home.
                            Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

I personally think the best thing to keep by your bed is a mobile phone... the sooner a call is made in these situations, the better. As soon as you've made a call, you know help is on it's way. If you try to deal with something yourself first, you are on your own for the time being.
                              I'm sure you will have been given some crime prevention leaflets by the officers that attended, and you can always ask to be put in touch with someone who provides advice on such issues (although I'm sure we've covered most of them in these threads!)

Si.
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X