Telling tales on a colleague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telling tales on a colleague

I`ve just come home from work ( a School) and I share a class with a trainee colleague. He`s a good bloke but says exactly what he thinks.

Anyway, my colleague "lost it" with a pupil in the class. She is idle and he didn`t swear or threaten but his attitude was intimidating and made her feel 2" tall. I`d already spoken to her as the experienced teacher (ha! or so they say!)) and dealt with the situation she wasn`t happy but atleast she could see my point. But then my colleague waded in and went way too far.

I`ve had to tell my boss about it as I`m sure the girl (and she ought to) will be putting in a comlaint & I wanted him to know inadvance Now I feel bad for dobbing in a colleague but I also feel bad for the girl involved.

Hey ho. Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut

Soon be gin time!

Oh I bet you're looking forward to that gin after a day like that!
    I'm sure your gut told you it was the right thing to do and thats invariably the only thing you can go off in a situation like that. It sounds like it was bad enough for you to be sure what you had to do, rather than coming home and considering it overnight, so it must have been warranted

If there's any justice in the world, hopefully your colleague and maybe eve the girl involved will learn from it. He shouldnt have undermined you

Enjoy a chilling-out evening!

Shaz x
    Keepsake Kollections
    & Rossendale Ramblings!
    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

I think you are best to have reported it because like you say the girl will more than likely make a complaint - this will get back to the head and the head will want to know why you didn't tell him in the first place so best to cover yourself for that.

Looks like your colleague is just about to learn a very valuable lesson.

Cheers.

Lisa
      Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Your colleague will learn a lesson from this, you did what you had to. I wouldn't worry about it, your colleague is there to learn and he probably appreciates that.
        Amanda
        xx

Comment

Gosh, what a day You did the right thing Clare, your responsibility is to the pupils and if you felt that a point needed making in order for your trainee colleague to learn from it then what else could you do?

Try not to beat yourself up over it though.
          Here's to a better day tomorrow - and a large glass of wine tonight!!

Cx
          Love LittleGems x
          http://LittleGemsUK.etsy.com
          www.truly-handmade.co.uk

Comment

I hope everything gets sorted out soon.

Have a large glass of an alcoholic beverage tonight and relax.
            You haven't done anything wrong

Good Luck x
            Av xx
            Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all the supportive comments!

I have to say I felt awful but he was out of order. Sometimes problem kids are spoken to as though they have no rights. If they are spoken to like scum then they will think they are scum and then behave like scum. It`s a self perpetuating circle.

I dwell on stuff like this though and find it hard to forget about it. But I must!

I`ll make something, that will sort me out!

Comment

you definitely did the right thing! It's not easy and leaves a bitter taste ( which the G&T should sort)

It needs reporting because as pointed out if the parents complain, you;d be in for not saying anything, but more importantly, maybe this guy isn't cut out to be a teacher, culd really lose it one day and even hut a kid, so yo're protecting all future pupils potentially

Comment

I've reported two collegues in my work life and felt thoroughly grotty at having to do so.
                  They were both whilst I was nursing. The first was an utterly lazy guy who sat on his backside all day doing nothing but eating choclates and leaving the coffee creams.
                  The other was a far more severe situation. I was a third year student on nights with a team of two qualified staff. It had been theatre day and there were lots of very poorly patients. One old guy had had a colostomy and we were told it was a big one but by the time I checked half an hour later it seemed enormous. I reported to the nusrse. She went and looked and said o it's fine. I then checked every half and hour and by mnidnight I was extremely concerned and went back to the nurse and asked her to call the doctor out as it had to be done by a qualified staff member. She told me to stop ****** and to sit down and have a cuppa. By two o clock I said if you don't phone the doctor and get him to come I'm going to call a crash alert at which stage she nearly bit my head off. I walked off into the room where the guy was and as I lifted up his nightgown to check again, the bag exploded and a meter of bowel jumped out like one of those joke snakes.
                  It ended up at a tribunal with me giving evidenc against the two nurses one of whom was struck off. I have absolutely no regrets what so ever at doing it.
                  if you don't speak up you'll end up regreting it and you are in a position where professionalism is important.
                  Crack open the wine!!
                  full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by creativeclare View Post
                    I`ve just come home from work ( a School) and I share a class with a trainee colleague. He`s a good bloke but says exactly what he thinks.

Anyway, my colleague "lost it" with a pupil in the class. She is idle and he didn`t swear or threaten but his attitude was intimidating and made her feel 2" tall. I`d already spoken to her as the experienced teacher (ha! or so they say!)) and dealt with the situation she wasn`t happy but atleast she could see my point. But then my colleague waded in and went way too far.

I`ve had to tell my boss about it as I`m sure the girl (and she ought to) will be putting in a comlaint & I wanted him to know inadvance Now I feel bad for dobbing in a colleague but I also feel bad for the girl involved.

Hey ho. Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut

Soon be gin time!
                    you did the right thing, who knows why this girl behaves like she does, family or friend problems, a slight learning difficulty (sorry i did ed psych!!)

he might do this alot, who knows, his behaviuor was wrong, also if it was my child, i would be damn annoyed! alot would go by if no one said anything!
                    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

yep - you did the right thing

I had a maths teacher who used to bully me, I was good at maths but he was constantly saying things about my accent (Yorkshire lass in an Aussie school), you'd expect it from the pupils, but not the teacher. So I walked out of his class and up to the school office and complained, I don't remember him ever apologising to me but I didn't go to maths for the rest of the year (result!)

Teachers should not get away with bullying pupils and not all children are as feisty as me
                      www.beadlab.com

Comment

You did the only thing you could. Bullying or just inappropriate behaviour is just not acceptable from so called professionals.
                        Enjoy that large glass tonight!
                        Sue
                        www.susiedolls.com
                        www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

Claire,

I read this last night and I wanted to reply..Can I just say thankyou for sticking up for the pupil..
                          I have a son who didn't do well at school for a million reasons but he ended up with a bad reputation.
                          He went to school everyday and got bullied from his teachers. At the time we went every other week to try and sort out the issues .
                          I honestly wish you had been at his school and he had you as a teacher...

I hated school in primary I got the belt every morning before the bell went so my teacher didn't have to disrupt her class.
                          Is it any wonder I left school at fifteen. I think you will have given that child more than probebly any other teacher has given before..

Well done you.
                          www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

You've definitely done the right thing.

What kind of example is he setting to the other children if they see him speaking to the girl like that? If they see an "adult" doing it, then they're going to think it's okay to behave like that.

What did the headteacher say to you? You never know he/she may already have received other complaints from elsewhere or might in the future.

You've absolutely nothing to feel guilty about ... and if this other teacher tells you otherwise then he shouldn't be teaching.

Have you spoken to the girl about the incident? She needs to know that she was not in the wrong and that adults make mistakes sometimes too. If he won't apologise to her, I think it's only fair somebody explains that to her.
                            Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeo Lady View Post
                              Claire,

I read this last night and I wanted to reply..Can I just say thankyou for sticking up for the pupil..
                              I have a son who didn't do well at school for a million reasons but he ended up with a bad reputation.
                              He went to school everyday and got bullied from his teachers. At the time we went every other week to try and sort out the issues .
                              I honestly wish you had been at his school and he had you as a teacher...

I hated school in primary I got the belt every morning before the bell went so my teacher didn't have to disrupt her class.
                              Is it any wonder I left school at fifteen. I think you will have given that child more than probebly any other teacher has given before..

Well done you.
                              Thankyou and bless you.

In many ways I hate teaching. I find the kids who come from privileged backgrounds difficult ( those who boast about it) (My Dad`s got a much better car /house/ watch than you Miss!), I hate teachers who think they are "God" I cannot stand the paperwork& I do not do it (Ofsted/Senior Staff love me -NOT) but there is nothing that compares to making a child feel that they are valued, welcome and safe in School no mater what their reputation is. It`s that feeling that keeps me in School even if it`s only two days a week.

I was unsure if Idid the right thing yesterday but now I know I did.

Thanks folks!

Comment

Working...
                              X