Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need some advice

Hi all,

Some of you might have read my rant about not being able to get a job...well this might be considered a spin off from that I suppose.

As I said, my temp job is due to be ending in a month or so and I will be then out of a job. But while i have been working I've been putting money aside so I now have enough money to do one of two things:-

1. Take a couple of months out of work (or maybe work part-time) and put the money into starting up my craft business and making more stock and building materials.

OR....

2. Go abroad for a month to volunteer with a worthwhile cause. I'm thinking of working in an orphanage in Costa Rica or Buenos Aires.

So what should I do? I so want to do both but i have only 1 lot of time and money to spend.

What would you do?

Please help - all comments will be considered at length (Trust me) and very much appreciated.
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

I think only you can make that decision. A difficult one.
    Cynthia
    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

The angel in me says go help the orphans but ......Id say start up your craft career, its going to take a while to get it up and running so the quicker you start the better.
      Maybe when youve made some money in a few years you can pursue your other dreams.

You could still do other helpful/charity things where you are.
      Dont feel guilty at spending your money on yourself.

Do I sound like a heartless moo moo?
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Well I 'd go for doing the voluntary thing if it was me!

Sounds like you need a break anyway!

Some things you can put on a back burner, some you can't.
        Once you either get a good fulltime job, or start your business, it will be nigh on impossible to take a long break to go do voluntary work. that's without factoring things like mortgages, marriage, kids etc into the equation!
        you vould still do some crafting while away, and the voluntary thing would look god on a C.V., and who knows what interesting new techniques/crafts etc you might come across while in some distant land!

Comment

Only you can truly make that descision but I would go with the craft buisness and at least see if you can make it pay.
          As Seahorse say's there are Hundred's of volunteer jobs here that way you could end up doing both.
          Another thought is why dont you work for a volunteer job that ties in with your degree ?

Totally differant level but I got my dream job working with animals and it started off with me becoming a volunteer albeit I didn't have you formal qaulifications and that was my in.

Anyway all the very best with what ever you decide .

Cheers Janice
          Last edited by Rodeo Lady; 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
          www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

I know what my gut feeling would be but I dont wanna say - cos theyre both such great opportunities for you and, in truth, you need to dig a bit & see which one will make you happiest

Try some NLP techniques:

Future pacing - sit quietly and visualise yourself in the future doing one of the scenarios - really immerse yourself in it, see what you see, hear what you hear etc

...then do the same thing for the other option - you should feel which one you'll be most fulfilled by

OR you could try a conflict resolution technique - outstretch your left hand palm up and place one scenario in it - do the same with your right hand - then close your eyes and (this will sound odd!) have each of them state their case eg - "if she does this blah blah blah" - and then have the other one say "if she does this etc etc etc" - then just visualise a brand new thought in the space between both your hands and slowly bring your hands around the back of the new thought and envelop it and bring it slowly into your chest

Another good test might be a small Timeline Therapy walk - in a room, stand up and walk to a space where your future self at a much older age is standing, step into that space - then turn around and visualise looking at yourself at the age you are now - and as your older self, knowing what you know at that age, give yourself the advice you need

I really hth
            Shaz x
            Last edited by Focus on Life; 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM.
            Keepsake Kollections
            & Rossendale Ramblings!
            http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Originally posted by ilovecrafts View Post

Some things you can put on a back burner, some you can't.
              Once you either get a good fulltime job, or start your business, it will be nigh on impossible to take a long break to go do voluntary work. that's without factoring things like mortgages, marriage, kids etc into the equation!
              I was going to say exactly the same thing, I do regret not doing the travelling/volunteering thing when I was younger (god it makes me sound old) I was signed up to do BUNAC when I finished uni but was talked out of it by my then boyfriend, not the boyf who became my hubby I might add.

But completely agree with Shaz, I learnt those visualization techniques with my old job and even subconciously use them now for decision making it really does help
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I think it's entirely up to you and obviously something that you need to decide for yourself.

One thing I will say is that traveling for a while would be fun, but you'd still come back to not having a job and would also be poor, which would probably make you more miserable! I would go for the career first and then when you have the money and the security there's nothing to stop you traveling afterwards.

Good luck!
                I make Eco bags and Lavender Cushions.

LavenderHearts.co.uk

My blog: http://leatherheadchooks.blogspot.com/

Comment

What's really interesting about these replies is how they seem to be split 50/50 half of us would choose travelling and half the business - and for the same kind of reasons!

I think it certainly shows there's no right or wrong decision, it's gotta be what you feel is best for you
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Netty's spot on. See me (as I am now ie older & braver than I once was) would say (even though I said I wouldnt say ) take the chance to do the travelling now cos jobs, businesses, mortgages more often than not prevent you from getting back to things like that - either for a very long time but, sadly, sometimes never at all

The old, more timid, being-held-back me would have said take a paid job and stagnate in it.....PAH.....humbug!
                    Whatever you decide will be right though! Trust yourself!

Shaz x
                    Keepsake Kollections
                    & Rossendale Ramblings!
                    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Follow your heart.

Most people say the opposite! But I think in this situation you're able to follow your heart, since you have saved some money & have an oppurtunity. Where is your heart telling you to go. Deep down, which decision would you regret the most, having not had the chance to do the other? Who says you can't do both?

Although I dont believe we should be regretful for our decisions. I have made some quite bad decisions, yet I feel it has made me who I am today, so I must be thankful for them.

I know what I would do. I could tell you what to do, but how one decision would affect me is not how it would affect you

sorry if i'm not helpful...i'm feeling quite reflexive tonight!
                      Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Well I did say i'dtravel if it was me! Very personal decision i agree but I decided to leave the travelling for a bit, and never got around to it. got stuck into a job, then a mortgage, then met hubby,had the kids etc.and too late now!
                        well it's never too late,but marrying late and being an older mum,well I'll be an OAP before they're all off my hands!
                        Can't see us ever havng the money to do it, short of a large lottery win!, but health will prevent alot of it, as I have nasty back problems,and hubby's knees are shot! So lots of things we thought we'd get around to one day, we probably won't be able to!

few more factors to consider, just making it harder still!

Comment

That's a really tough one , I know I'm going to sound like mum, but I would suggest the old 'pros and cons' list. Only you can decide this one and there will be some emotional factors that you'd need to consider. Getting it down on paper my help you to see it clearly?

Anyway, I'm sorry if that doesn't help much. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cxx
                          Love LittleGems x
                          http://LittleGemsUK.etsy.com
                          www.truly-handmade.co.uk

Comment

I'd say just trust in yourself and your gut feeling, whatever you decide you will make the best of it, learn and move on. This is just one of many life changing decisions you will have to make....go with your guts!

Big hugs from an old hand who is making similar decisions as I enter my 50th year!
                            Sue
                            www.susiedolls.com
                            www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

Do it all!

You said you have time and money!

Split it 50/50

Can you go traveling for a bit, then come back and do some crafting? You may start traveling and find it impossible to stop! You may go traveling and decide you hate it.

I don't think you should have to choose between 2 things you really want to do

But that's just me, I am 25 and have already lived in 3 countries, although I lived with my parents until I was 22! I don't like traveling I prefer home comforts and knowing what is going to happen next - I am a veritable old lady at my young age.
                              www.beadlab.com

Comment

Working...
                              X