Why is it so flipping difficult?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it so flipping difficult?!?!

Grrrr.... rant time I'm afraid. I'm only panicking because the temp job I'm in at the moment is due to be ending within the next month.

I'm trying to find myself a finance/accounting job (who knows why) and I am struggling so much because I don't have finance experience. Even though I'm a graduate and would be exempt from 2 of the modules for the first level of the qualification, which must in some way show that I have at least an ounce of knowledge, surely.

Even when I try to get in at a school leaver's level no-one wants to know. Does the fact that I did a-levels and a degree not help AT ALL???

Does anyone have any suggestions or help or anything at all that I might have missed?

Had the CV checked by recruitment agencies and university folk - all is OK. What is WRONG with me. I am obviously unemployable. I guess there's nothing else to do but to set up my craft business full-time then.......
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Hiya,

What degree did you do? I've found (when I thought about going for finance jobs, I changed my mind!) that they like analytical subjects like all sciences, maths, IT etc. Perhaps there aren't so many jobs in your area and the competition is high? There seem to be more jobs than people in that sector in the South East.
    I make Eco bags and Lavender Cushions.

LavenderHearts.co.uk

My blog: http://leatherheadchooks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Its just a thought but you may be 'over' qualified for certain jobs. I've found when you have a degree people can be scared off because you are more qualified than the person who would be employing you.

Also the most annoying part is that you have qualifications but no 'experience' in that particular job and they're not interested.. so how is anyone supposed to get the experience in the first place?

You can probably tell this has got to me personally in the past, so I became self employed full time, because even though I have an MA I am unemployable.

Sorry but that probably doesn't help your situation.
      Sarah x

Muddle Website
      Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

[quote=Muddle Jewellery;69253]

Also the most annoying part is that you have qualifications but no 'experience' in that particular job and they're not interested.. so how is anyone supposed to get the experience in the first place?[quote]

Exactly!!!!! It is so annoying. I really just need someone to give me a break and let me prove myself. I think also that it is so easy to get a degree these days that it doesn't mean a thing really now.

And just because someone has worked for a year as a general dogsbody under the title of "accounts assistant" it means that they have the capability to learn and progress well.

It really annoys me because when I speak to recruitment consultants asking for advice they always tell me to start at the bottom as some sort of office junior shredding paper all day and work my way up - so WHY did I get a-levels and go to uni if I could've done that after leaving school at 16?!?!!?! I personally think they're just in it for what they can get for themselves and they know they could easily get me an office junior job.

Oh, and you post did help - because it's nice to know that I'm not the only one and that people can empathise. So thanks for taking the time to reply I think I may be left with no other option than to become self employed full time....you may be hearing from me more in the future...
        Yvonne
        x

Comment

Originally posted by LavenderHearts View Post
          Hiya,

What degree did you do? I've found (when I thought about going for finance jobs, I changed my mind!) that they like analytical subjects like all sciences, maths, IT etc. Perhaps there aren't so many jobs in your area and the competition is high? There seem to be more jobs than people in that sector in the South East.
          My degree is in Management studies & Spanish. And it's from University of Leeds too so it's a good uni.

Ironically, I chose management because I didn't know what I wanted to do career-wise and thought it was generic enough to open up lots of doors for me after I graduate. Pah!
          Yvonne
          x

Comment

Originally posted by mymiyel View Post

Even when I try to get in at a school leaver's level no-one wants to know. Does the fact that I did a-levels and a degree not help AT ALL???
            That'll be cos they can get away with paying a 16 year old sod all in wages whereas you'd cost them adult minimum wages - cynical moi? You betcha!

I can really empaphise as I remember having exactly the same problem as you when I left uni - either didn't have the experience or was over qualified. It gets depressing when you don't even get interviewed for a factory job oddly I did end up in a factory after uni as the manager there liked football too (which I had on my CV) and I reckon no-one else applied. Only after I got that job did I start getting interviews for others, obviously it was now apparent I was employable after all to the companies I was applying to. It wasn't until I did a job specific MA though that I got a 'real' job.

And now I'm self-employed doing absolutely nothing to do with my degree, MA or previous jobs so go figure
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I really understand how frustrating it is. I wish I hadn't gone to uni for 3 years, giving me £10,000 debt, and then done an MA for another year costing £3000, because what I'm doing now I've taught myself and don't need any qualifications for it, but I don't think about that much because its abit depressing.

I feel like I've wasted a lot of time being a student, and you're right the degree doesn't mean as much anymore. The tutors have a lot to answer for filling your head with stuff thats not relevant in 'the real world'.
              Sarah x

Muddle Website
              Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Muddle Jewellery View Post
                I feel like I've wasted a lot of time being a student, and you're right the degree doesn't mean as much anymore. The tutors have a lot to answer for filling your head with stuff thats not relevant in 'the real world'.
                If only we'd known at 18 what we know now!!! It was feeling like that which made me go and train as a careers adviser. I loved working with the 6th formers trying to get them to see that the degree they were applying for was just there to get them to the starting line - what else were they going to do while there to give them the competitive edge over all the other tens of thousands of uni leavers with the same degree? No use to you now I know but hopefully a few of my old 6th former won't be in the same poo-y position we all found ourselves in. God I hope that didn't sound too pretentious
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Its good you can use your experience to help them making that decision now.
                  I'd be no good at that job, I'd keep telling them not to bother going to uni, probably cause I'm bitter and twisted about it
                  Sarah x

Muddle Website
                  Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

i graduated from uni last year with a degree in psychology. Unless you do a postgrad then its a total waste of time, as you cant 'practice' psychology without one. Ok, so almost a year after graduating (with a 2:1 I might add!) am I emplyed full-time? No!

I have been offered a number of jobs, either working rotational shift work, which i cant do as i have a child, and even if i didnt have a child, i wouldnt work those kind of hours, I do have a life!!! other jobs offered include things like support work, which after wasting my time filling in app forms and being interviewed I find out its actually 'care work', and i know it sounds incredibly stuck up, but i truly didnt go to uni for 3yrs, get a degree in psych and get into thousands of ££££'s of debt to do 'care work'.

It annoys me when they dont tell you exactly what the job is until the interview, or they just blatently lie about what the job is because if you knew the truth you wouldnt even bother applying!

Another thing that gets me is most jobs want you to have an NVQ...SOD off, i dont have one and i'm not going to do one either..I HAVE A PSYCHOLOGY DEGREE...grrrrrr!!

I think it is definitly a case of being over qualified alot of the times, alot of the jobs i see advertised i know i could do, (doing a degree really does involve gaining some major skills) but i dont bother applying because i'll be turned and placed in the 'not enough work based experience bracket'...well if no one gives you the chance how do you ever gain experience???!!

so, I decided to do some voluntary work in domestic violence alongside my p/time job, i'm doing my voluntary training at the mo, then i'll be able to do some one to one, with this i can go to college and do a counselling skills certificate course, then go back and do a postgrad in counselling psychology, become a qualified counsellor and then live happily ever after and dance around in the fields full of flowers!!!!

I do strongly believe that the right job will come along at the right time. there is a job out there which is perfect for all of us, and i'm not applying for anymore until that one comes along! At least i have time to do my paintings since i'm only a p/timer! lol
                    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I did a degree and a masters degree in Biochemistry and it took me 6 months of continuous applying to even get an interview, fortunately I was offered the job but it was 60+ miles away from my house and the wages were peanuts. I took the job and stayed there for a year and then I worked as a scientific editor for a couple of years. I now work as a trainee Medical Writer (still trainee even after 4 years working!), which I enjoy as much as anyone can enjoy an office job! I took the job with a view to working from home full time so that I can fit in my craft work! :-)

Anyway, my point is don't dispare! It will take you a while to find something and you might find that you have to either look further afield or think outside of the box a bit and take a job that might not look like your dream job, but might give you vital experience. I think lecturers, parents etc build up university such that you almost think that the worl is your oyster and unfortunately the reality is that a university degree does not guarantee you a job, but it might make your CV look better than another candidate.

Good luck!
                      I make Eco bags and Lavender Cushions.

LavenderHearts.co.uk

My blog: http://leatherheadchooks.blogspot.com/

Comment

it is true, the world is a crazy place. I managed to get my first proper job while i was about to finish uni, it seamed so easy then. but as i decided to leave that job a yr later i couldnt find any to do with my degree. I did fashion but really wanted to get into the costume industry, i had my heart set on it, but decided to give bar work a go while i was looking and now i am a manager there. but i am not happy there at all, kind of enjoyed for a while but its true, the shift work is hard, and i dont have a life! When i'm off, i'm tired all the time, and customers can be so nasty!i am doing well but feel i need to change my career again, am kind of confused at mo. Would like to teach, but then would love to do my bag design fulltime- then at least my degree would be worth it!!!

You keep going hon, you'll get what you want in the end, just have a long hard think and keep pushing at what you want to do.

You got my ranting now!!!!

take care x
                        Dee x
                        Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
                        Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
                        Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Originally posted by dee_liteful View Post
                          I did fashion but really wanted to get into the costume industry
                          I did an MA in Fashion Design, but did costume design work. On the course I'd got in contact with the Star Wars concept designer Iain McCaig, he set me a project to re-design the costumes in Peter Pan (he worked on the storyboard for that). I loved it, it was a 10 week project, the tutors encouraged me to do it. But because he was busy I couldn't get his feedback before the marks had to be decided, and the tutors gave me low marks, I was fuming, they said "we couldn't mark that kind of work"!!
                          When I did get his feedback it was really good, he loved my Tinkerbell design more than the one in the film.
                          The tutors were a complete waste of time.

I'm getting angry again.. and it was over 3 years ago, ha ha
                          Sarah x

Muddle Website
                          Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Apart from jobs/professions that are qualification specific (doctors/lawyers etc..) I sometimes (lately) think it's possibly better NOT to go to Uni straight from school. As said previously, with a degree they often won't employ people as overqualified, or lacking in experience! ( catch 22), BUT later on you can't progress further up the ladder WITHOUT a degree!

If I had my time over, I'd go to work, then after a few years, either take a sabbatical to do a degree or do open uni or similar. That of course if of no use now to me or any of the others in the same boat.
                            When I first got to London, and was loking for any job at all to start with, the woman at employment agency REFUSED to send me for interview for a temp receptionist/ switchboard operator, on the grounds, that
                            A) I was overqualified with a degree,
                            B) underqualified
                            well that made a lot of sense ! (admittedly I had no switchboard experience.) Somehow I badgered her into sending me along, and easily got the job. The way she'd gone on about it I was expecting some massive switchboard like in the old fashioned telephone exchanges, and it was only a little desktop pbax 4x18! 1 interview question was "Can u type?", answer " Well I know what a typewriter is and the principle of how they work" (yes it was that long ago!!) and I still got the job! ( and was told to also bring a book in to read to fill in the time!

Not easy, but it's worth badgering the employment agencies and trying to get past them (many jobsworths) and seeing the employers themselves.

Brush up your Spanish mymiel and you could prob easily get job here or in Gib with management studies. There always seem to be LOADS of ads for jobs in Gib, and I gather the pay there is good too!

Comment

Originally posted by ilovecrafts View Post
                              Brush up your Spanish mymiel and you could prob easily get job here or in Gib with management studies. There always seem to be LOADS of ads for jobs in Gib, and I gather the pay there is good too!
                              I did consider going back to Spain to work (I lived in Granada for a year) and would love to go back to Andalucia - maybe Sevilla, I love it there. But I think it's such a big step that it scares me a lot. And I also have an other half I have to think about. I don't think he'd like to move over because he is a typical Brit that only speaks English and expects everyone else in the world to speak it fluently too, so talks to foreign people as though they're from Sheffield as well. Though he did come out to Granada and was very impressed by the late night tv there - lots of footy and *ahem* other things to entertain men.

I might look into it actually. Since right now I can't actually remember the reason why I didn't make the decision earlier. What do you do, if you don't mind me asking? And why is it that you took the step to move over there?

It is worth a shot, if all goes wrong I can always move back here...
                              Yvonne
                              x

Comment

Working...
                              X