Whats happened to librarys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats happened to librarys?

They are so noisy.Last week there were so many people talking it was ridiculous.
    Im happy for kids to be here but if they are at an age when they dont know how to be quiet maybe its not the best place to bring them.
    People seem to think if they go stand by the open doorway of the room they wont be heard on their mobiles!!
    I was in here on Monday and 2 men were talking to each other so loudly 2 people had to ask them to talk more quietly!
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

ooooo seahorse you do sound grown up!!!

full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I know what you mean. It not always the kids, I was in the library last week with my son and there was a man in there playing peekaboo with his son and another older boy turned round and said to his mum, I thought everyone was supposed to be quiet in the library. Good for him, at least some kids know how to behave.
      Amanda
      xx

Comment

Last time I went, there was a little group of OAPs having a meeting or something! They were talking in normal voices. In the end I had to leave because they were so loud!
        My craft blog - updated most weekdays
        BeautifulThings

Comment

Our main library stank of stale urine and other nasty toiletty smells near the photocopiers last time I went in there. Not pleasant when you have to walk past the photocopiers to get into the library! I can't imagine that the smell from the public loos below the ground floor of the building could get to what would be the equivalent of the second floor.....

View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I am soooo glad that my local library doesn't stink of urine and all. Actually it is usually pretty quiet even tho it is always busy so can't really complain. Well I could - it is really old-fashioned and the kids departmet isn't exactly welcoming or inspiring.
            www.littlebead.blogspot.com
            www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

well our village library has been out of action for well over a year now! First they had to use it as a classromm while refurbishing the school, and now it's got the bread shop located in it, as the building that housed that has been demolished, and the rebuilding is only just getting under way!

Mind you it 's small and I probably own double the quantity of books they ahve

Comment

Our local library was completely rebuilt and relocated a couple of years ago. I don't know what the old one was like because I lived somewhere else back then, but the new one is very clean and modern and well equipped. Sometimes there is hardly anyone there and its lovely, but there are occassions when it sounds more like a school canteen!
                Natalie
                website blog

Comment

I can't remember the last time I was in a library apart from when I was at Uni doing a part time course a few years ago. The one I used to go to as a little girl is still there and it was great. Felt really grown up when I could get the 'big books' out and got the adult brown ticket holders (there used to be a little slip inside each book which went inside the ticket holders with your name and address on so they knew what you'd got).

hated paying the fines though cos I got too many big heavy books out and could not carry them all back in one go!!

Comment

No books?

Our local library has a huge bank of computers, videos and dvds to borrow and even audio books to borrow.

But it's got sweet FA in the way of books and those that are there are ancient, or they're large print Mills & Boon.

It was a great place until it had a refit. They seem to have mislaid all the printed matter (apart from council-supporting leaflets) when the refit was ongoing.

There even used to be a bookshelf full of ex-library boks that you could buy for ten pence per book.

As an avid reader the library used to hold a fascination for me as a child. I do wish they'd bring back the libraries of my youth. What would we have done with today's resources when we were at school? Imagine having the www 30 years ago, instead of just books!

Jules
                    Apple Tree Crafts
                    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Ive been here for half an hour and there is a mental woman sat a couple of seats away that keeps talking to herself like she has someone with her!!

Since I red the urine stories Ive convinced myself that I can smell wee wee.

I have 2 books at home both from my old school which I left 14 years ago.I have no recollection of taking them out!! or why I have 2 books exactly the same.Luckily the mum of a pal of mine works at the school so one day Il be brave and return them to her.

I think the mental woman near me just said 'eff off' to the computer, now she is saying she hates something.I think I may go soon.

Comment

Omg.....

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                        Ive been here for half an hour and there is a mental woman sat a couple of seats away that keeps talking to herself like she has someone with her!! I think the mental woman near me just said 'eff off' to the computer, now she is saying she hates something.I think I may go soon.
                        Oh God...she was sat next to me on the bus last Tuesday. She started waffling to me when we were waiting for the bus...utter twaddle....she didn't even stop for breath.

I must have a sympathetic face or else I look like a bus-nutter myself....I always get the nutter.

Seahorse, be careful out there.....!

Jules
                        Apple Tree Crafts
                        www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Maybe it's the nutter that smells of wee wee!? LOL
                          Natalie
                          website blog

Comment

Originally posted by Roseberry Crafts View Post
                            Maybe it's the nutter that smells of wee wee!? LOL

Wouldnt surprise me, at one point she got up and went to the loo, I only remembered where she had gone when about 20 minutes later a mum and her kids were waiting outside the loo and the mum said 'we'll have to wait, someones in there'.

Comment

Working...
                            X