A boost up the ranks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A boost up the ranks!

I've heard, recently, that the more links you have to your web site the more advantageous it is for your search engine ranking. So, I was thinking, if those of us with our own sites all had a page where we could put links to each others sites, then that should (potentially, at least) give us all a boost in the rankings.

If this is the case, I'm more than happy to put links to other sites.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts, or feeling about this, or, indeed any other cunning plans (please keep them very simple, no computer speak etc. as I don't understand it) ~thank you~
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

I'm really sad that nobody wants to join in this thread. My OH was talking to a work colleague and they also said that mutual site links are a really good way to drive traffic to your site & improve search engine rankings. I assumed that everyone with on online shop would want more traffic...or do you all know something that I don't???

I don't know about you but I'm really struggling with SEO I know I was as green as they come when I set up my website!!! So, if anyone has any tips for those who weren't brought up in the computer age, I'm certain that I won't be the only one who'll appreciate them. (Is SEO for Dummies any good?)
    Jayne

Comment

Jayne,

It doesn't work like that.. It used too back in the 90's ...

Liink are what count but search engines know if the link is an exchange..

Basically google look at links as votes for your site.. The more votes the better BUT if all the votes come from sites that you voted for then many of them will be discounted...

Link to sites you like, love and use.... Keep well away from anything "automated"

Hope that helps..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
      (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy4lee View Post

I don't know about you but I'm really struggling with SEO I know I was as green as they come when I set up my website!!! So, if anyone has any tips for those who weren't brought up in the computer age, I'm certain that I won't be the only one who'll appreciate them. (Is SEO for Dummies any good?)

Your site is young.. Why should it rank ?

Factors of ranking: Age of the site , Amount of incoming quality links, Content, Freshness, Link Freshness..

Seo is a full time job ... Its what I do 7 days a week..

Your welcome to pm For more info about what k/w your going after..

seo for dummies is VERY outdated..

If you need a book try http://www.seobook.com/

Aaron Wall is a good guy..

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
          Jayne,

It doesn't work like that.. It used too back in the 90's ...

Liink are what count but search engines know if the link is an exchange..

Basically google look at links as votes for your site.. The more votes the better BUT if all the votes come from sites that you voted for then many of them will be discounted...

Hope that helps..
          What about a kind of linking where we split into thirds, the 1st third link to the 2nd, the 2nd to the 3rd third & the 3rd third to the 1st .. i.e no exchanges? Would that work? I know it sounds a bit messy but, surely it could be worth it (or, am I being totally silly?
          Jayne

Comment

hehehe.

Thats called 3 way linking.. Again google has worked that out..

Here is google guide lines
            http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769

Basically you need to be a bit creative.. Marketing is marketing..

Consider things like competitions.. Blogs .. Joining social sites like craftjuice stumble upon etc..

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
              Basically you need to be a bit creative.. Marketing is marketing..

Consider things like competitions.. Blogs .. Joining social sites like craftjuice stumble upon etc..
              I've been featured on Cuteable and BBD's Wedding blog, plus I also am a member of this forum (yeah!) and I comment on a number of other blogs (not random comments or blogs but ones I like) plus I submit to Craft Juice and also the Forum blog (ok not as often as I should - I aim to change this!) so the exposure is out there! Since my feature on Cuteable almost a month ago my website hits have trebbled and I've had a number of orders too.

You've just got to get out there!!

Comment

Yep..

Think about articles too.. Your welcome to submit to our article blog...

OR

Create a how to video .. Put it on your site via youtube.. All your need is a dig camera or even a mobile phone to take video now..

Once you have content then submit to social sites like craftjuice, stumbleupon and so on.. .

It takes time and ideas as if it was easy as "just" exchaning links then any body could do it

Comment

I was told and read on various forums that mutual links was a good way to increase traffic. It not the solution to getting up the search engine results but a factor alongside keyword rich homepages, blogging, joining in forums, writing articles yadda yadda yadda.

I would also like to think that by linking to other sites it may attract more business, for both parties.
                  Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Comment

Correct..

3 way linking mentioned above is a old method to manipulate the search engines which is against their guidelines..

Traffic is very important.. If you look for visitors your ranking will oftern follow..

Many sites that exchange link put those links on some page so deep that it drives no traffic along with the fact that if the page is called "links" or "link exchange" etc.. its has no value in search engines..

I've posted this before regarding what weight to put on site/offsite factors to make a site rank..

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

Comment

Thanks for all this really useful info, I dont have a website yet but its on my list of "things methinks I really need..."

Poppy4lee - I saw your post but didnt reply cos sadly I know just a tad more than diddly right now but I was keen to follow the threads you generated from it, cheers

Shaz x
                      Keepsake Kollections
                      & Rossendale Ramblings!
                      http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

0103Media... just wanted to say thanksyou, thats a really informatie article
                        Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
                        No Membership just visit & Browse
                        Craftville.com

Comment

This is why I dont have a website to show and sell my art! I have a bit of a collection now, I need a site..but this all just confuses the hell out of me! ergh...i'm going to have a house full of paintings and no where to sell them....bcoz i'm a technophobe!

cant cope....going crazy......
                          Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Working...
                          X