Any Computer Recommendations plus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Computer Recommendations plus...

I want a "small" laptop as I spend the majority of the weekends at shows from March - October but don't want to carry on lumbering my full size laptop arround, it can just stay at home as my main machine.... I was looking at the EEE which on the face of it would be perfect for what I want (I only need to check email, a few forums etc) but it is a Linux machine and I don't think any of the mobile companies support a connection through Linux......

So has anyone else already sorted out their connection when away from home? What do you use? (Keep it cheap please )
    Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
    No Membership just visit & Browse
    Craftville.com

I got myself a Mac book as i travel around quite alot.

To connect to the internet i usually pop into my local WI-FI pub or macdonalds for free! Otherwise its a fortune each month to get one of those modem USB sticks.
    Av xx
    Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

why not get a blackberry.If all you need it for is to check mail and surf some a Blackberry would do the trick
      Shabby Neesey

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles View Post
        I got myself a Mac book as i travel around quite alot.

To connect to the internet i usually pop into my local WI-FI pub or macdonalds for free! Otherwise its a fortune each month to get one of those modem USB sticks.
        I didnt know mac donalds let you connect for free! is this all or some do you know?

s.x
        Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I have no idea if it is all of them, but this page could help

macdonlads

scoffing on a macdonalds dosnt seem so bad when you are there for a purpose doing work!

Av xx
          Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

thanks sprinkles! I try and stick to the salads...i got a bit carried away with chicken burgers at one stage! lol...no sauce on the salad tho!

Splatcat...would you prefer a handheld or a laptop?
            Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I think a laptop mainly because although email and a bit of browsing is what I'd need it for it would also be nice to be able to play the odd film (DVD player not ness I have DiX stuff) and maybe even a bit of TV...

When I'm at a show I often camp and am therefore basically stuck in a field all weekend... no WiFi, so I've been looking into "Web and Walk" which seems to use some sort of USB/Mobile connection. I did have something which did it on this computer but its PCMCIA card thing and I don't think those are used any more.
              Craftville.com

Comment

Modem UBS connection is the best then i guess. I'd check out all the different network carriers to see the best deal for you. I found them too expensive for me, as i cant find a PAYG one yet. If anyone does find one tell me!
                Av xx
                Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

THanks, appreciated..... I've been looking at the
                  PHILIPS 12NB5800 Laptop which PC world have on offer at the moment.... 12" screen which should make it a lot smaller than my current "brick" :-)
                  Craftville.com

Comment

Went past a phone shop at the weekend that had a poster in the window for a widget thingy to plug into your laptop - giving you broadband for £10 a month. Looked good to me! It was the phone shop which is black with white writing (so that's not Orange, Phones4U, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, The Link or O2)
                    Kate xx
                    My craft blog - updated most weekdays
                    BeautifulThings

Comment

It's 3 mobile!

And yes! £10 a month is awesome!

And yes its PAYG!

And ouch its £99 to buy the USB modem!
                      Av xx
                      Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

I'll hae a look...... I may be going back to the EEE idea.... aparently you can connect them through some mobile phones which can act as Wifi routers..... I really just can't keep up :-(
                        Craftville.com

Comment

Originally posted by splatcat View Post
                          I'll hae a look...... I may be going back to the EEE idea.... aparently you can connect them through some mobile phones which can act as Wifi routers..... I really just can't keep up :-(
                          I came accross the EEE today in toys r us, i want one! so i came home and did a bit of a search. this may answer your Q's about it

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/mobi...asus-eee-pc-4g

Hope it helps. I'm going to get one I think!
                          Sophie.x

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Well for simplicity I didn't go for the EEEalthough I think I may still in the near future :-)

I bought an Advent 9112 which is a windows machine with a 12" screen which is very usable... just have to get used to Vista now :-(

The connection is T-Mobile web and walk... fairly good speeds although I had major problems at Belvoir Castle.

To prove it all works I am typing this sat in the back of my van parked on the Sandringham Estate where I am at a craft fair (its Friday, looked as if it was going to be a good first day but the heavens opened at luch time and spoilt it.). At least the connection is fine :-)
                            Craftville.com

Comment

Working...
                            X