Top 5 books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 books

Well I said I would start a thread about your top 5 books!

1. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman (kind of cheating because it's a trilogy but it's my list!)
    2. The 39 Steps by John Buchan
    3. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (again cheating but.....)
    4. 1984 by George Orwell
    5. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndam (or anything by him really)

Love to hear yours!
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Love John Wyndham too, though havent read any for ages..mmthink I'll have a sortof the boxes of books and dig them out!

My absolute favourite is El camino,by Migue Delibes. It was a set book for A level many many years ago, and I still love it,as well as most of his other stuff.

I love reading, and will read most anything i can lay my hands on!!
    Had a nasty accident as a kid 'cos of loving reading!

Was pulling my mum's shopping troley,not looking where I was going, as trying to read a newspaper onthe floor,and walked smack into a large solid lamppost !! OUCH!!

Comment

Top 5 books.....

1. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
      2. The fourth bear by Jasper Fforde
      3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
      4. I cpature the castle by Dodie Smith
      5. The house on the strand by Daphne DuMaurier.
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Mine would be, in no order

On the Beach - Nevil Shute
        Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho
        The Tiger's Child - Torey Hayden
        O.S.A - Denise Rudberg (true chick lit)
        Storlek 37 - Denise Rudberg (same here, true chick lit)

--Helen
        http://www.youyours.se

Comment

Ooooohhhh....

...I could never get mine down to five...

I've just re-read all of Peter Mayle's novels (not Year In Provence etc), and I'm planning to re-read the Larkin Chronicles by H E Bates....

I like light-hearted reading as I mostly read before bed so anything that gives me nightmares is out, as is anything that really makes me think......

Today I've bought Jill Mansell and Judy Astley's new books....

I loved the Hobbit, and The Weirdstone of Brisingham at school. Loathe Shakespeare though....

I'll read lots of things, depending on my mood. Sometimes I have two or three books on the go at once.

Jules
          Apple Tree Crafts
          www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Erm

Maya Angelou - anything - read it at school and got the ones in the series
            Ian Rankin - anything
            Peter Robinson - anything

Usually kids books at the moment to be quite honest!!

Comment

Hmmmm...not really got a top 5, but realy like anything by...

In Rankin
              Michael Connelly
              JK Rowling - all the Harry Potter Books

And currently enjoying 'Northern Lights' (aka the Golden Compass)
              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

1. The Testament of Gideon Mack - James Robertson

2. The Beach - Alex Garland

3. Sickened - Julie Gregory

4. Of Mice & Men - Steinbeck

5. The Winter of our discontent - Steinbeck

These are my favs at the mo. It is subject to change! lol

Also I like all the books by Torey Hayden.

s.x
                Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Hmmm I feel a little bit 'uncultured' now with all these classics and great authors mentioned, I hardly ever have time to pick up a book anymore and I'm far too picky about what genres I like. For instance I can't be doing with anything sci-fi or thriller as it has to be something I can believe and I can't be doing with anything too heavy or depressing as there's enough of that on the news everyday - I like to escape to a believable world where everything turns out ok in the end...I know, I know, I'm a sap!

Probably my favourite author at the mo is Mike Gayle and 'Turning Thirty' and 'My Legendary Girlfriend' are my faves of his, they're funny, believeable and so true

If I had to choose a classic it'd have to be Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, again characters you can relate to and love wins the day! Must admit A-level English put me off 'classics' except this one...and I still have nightmares about James Joyce
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Hmmm, will have to think about this one.... Richard Bach would certainly come into it at least once "Bridge Across Forever" or "JLS" or "Adventures of a reluctant messiah"

Currently re-reading the Zen of Juggling which would also have to be there along with "2001", I shall go away and give it a bit more thought :-)
                    Craftville: Free Craft Downloads
                    No Membership just visit & Browse
                    Craftville.com

Comment

Originally posted by sweet View Post
                      1. The Testament of Gideon Mack - James Robertson

s.x
                      How spooky - I've just finished that and it was very good! Going to get hubby to read it next.

Natty Netty - I know what you mean about not finding time to read!! I used to read a book a day before children came along and now with cuteable I'm lucky if I get a few pages before bed!
                      Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                      My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                      My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                        Probably my favourite author at the mo is Mike Gayle and 'Turning Thirty' and 'My Legendary Girlfriend' are my faves of his, they're funny, believeable and so true

I agree!!!!

Comment

Stuart Macbride, his first 3 books.(counting as 1 book in 3 bits)
                          Jaws by Peter Benchly
                          Bernard Cornwell "Sharpe" series.
                          Industrial age . Fred Dibnah.
                          River Cottage Cookbook. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
                          Handcrafted Display Stands from Welded steel, wood or acrylic.

Comment

Oh yes the Sharpe series was great, disappointed by the TV series though!

Comment

i know this is an old post but thought i'd share mine...

The Commitments by Roddy Doyle (also a fab fab film)
                              Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh ( another good film & not just cos it has the gorgeous Ewan Mcgregor in it!!)
                              The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-time by Mark Haddon

The other two are part of a trilogy i've just got into thanks to my niece, they are by Libba Bray, the first one was called 'A Great And Terrible Beauty' the second one which i'm about to start is called 'Rebel Angels'.
                              I've actually got some free time this week after a couple of months of hard slog at the day job, so can't wait to snuggle up on my fav reading chair..have a look on my blog....
                              http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X