I`ve hurt myself! (Doh!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I`ve hurt myself! (Doh!)

Hmmmmmm, can`t decide whether or not to go and get this checked out!

About 10am today I was stood on a coffee table taking down xmas deccies and well, the inevitable happened and I stood too close to edge of table. It up turned and I went flying.

It HURT LIKE HELL for 15mins or so, but then the pain eased and I thought it would be fine. I`ve been sat down but in the last couple of hours the pain has come back with avengance, ankle has swollen up and feels hot.

The worse thing is it`s my right foot and that`s my sewing machine pedal foot. Have got a start/stop button so no need to panic!

If it was a member of my family, I`d have them down to A&E like a shot but I`m sure if I stick a bag of peas on it, it will be fine!

Be careful ...

Keep an eye on it, my husband fell over a box the cat had been playing in and landed heavily on his knee. He ignored it for a couple of days because, although it hurt like hell initially, the pain dropped off a bit. He ended up having to get it x-rayed and he couldn't walk properly for 2 weeks while the swelling went down. Its OK now thankfully.

Comment

being the person sat here with a torn hamstring after a NYE drunken escapade i recommend R.I.C.E
      Rest
      Ice
      Compression
      Elevation

this is what the hospital tol me, if after 3 days the pain hasnt lessened then get it checked, if you can take aspirin then Ibruprofen is a good anit imflammitory,
      ***hugs****
      Vendi..Verdi..Visa...
      I came..I saw..I shopped

Comment

At work a few years back I turned my ankle and fell down a couple of steps while wearing strappy sandals and it swelled really badly. The pain was so bad that night that I couldn't even have the bed sheets touching....was panicking like mad as I was getting married overseas 1 month later and all I could think about was taking my vows on a beach with my ankle in plaster. Went to A&E the next morning and thankfully it was only sprained - never knew a sprained ankle could hurt so much.

Hope you're feeling better very soon
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

If your ankle is hot then it means that blood is being pumped to the area. This could be because it is sprained and the muscles are damaged. Alternitivly it may be that you have damaged abone, ligament or tendon. Either way it sounds as though you need some medical intervention. There are lots of tiny bones in the ankle and foot area and although they might not be able to find the exact cause they can offer you appropriate support bandaging and follow up as necessary. Go to A&E and get it checked out!!
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

If your ankle is hot then it means that blood is being pumped to the area. This could be because it is sprained and the muscles are damaged. Alternitivly it may be that you have damaged abone, ligament or tendon. Either way it sounds as though you need some medical intervention. There are lots of tiny bones in the ankle and foot area and although they might not be able to find the exact cause they can offer you appropriate support bandaging and follow up as necessary. Go to A&E and get it checked out!!
            Couldn't agree more. They probably can't do anything for you that hasn't already been recommended on here (RICE), but at least you would have a good idea how serious the damage is.

Bones in the ankle & foot = 26 - all of which are very important.

Just putting my complementary therapy hat on for a moment, it does sound very much like a sprain and I'd suggest that as well as the RICE and ibuprofen you consider taking arnica tablets. They are a homeopathic remedy which will help to reduce the swelling, ease the pain, bring out and speed up the bruising and get you back to full working capacity as quickly as possible.

You could also try a salt water compress on the ankle - this will also help with reducing the swelling and brining out any bruising.

A&E - today - preferably before the Saturday night crowd start to arrive!

Best of luck and let us know what they say.

Linda

Comment

Hi Folks,

Thanks everyone for your advice!

I did go to A & E, the verdict was is that when I fell I stretched the ligaments in the side of my foot, which then pulled off a tiny fragment of bone!

Luckily no cast but on crutches at the moment. Far less painful than on Friday night but I wont be running any marathons for a while yet! ( as if..)

Thanks for you help everyone!

Comment

What a wonderful excuse to sit and eat chocs!!!
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by craftdancer View Post
                  Couldn't agree more. They probably can't do anything for you that hasn't already been recommended on here (RICE), but at least you would have a good idea how serious the damage is.

Just putting my complementary therapy hat on for a moment, it does sound very much like a sprain and I'd suggest that as well as the RICE and ibuprofen you consider taking arnica tablets. They are a homeopathic remedy which will help to reduce the swelling, ease the pain, bring out and speed up the bruising and get you back to full working capacity as quickly as possible.

Linda
                  Hi,
                  Hope you feel better soon.
                  Just a point of interest: you can get Arnica in a cream, by Weleeda, & a tincture - both of which should be used on UNBROKEN skin & help to bring the bruising out much more quickly.
                  This should make it esier to assess any damage done more acurately & more quickly because the swelling might protect the area for a time, but it make getting a proper diagnosis harder.
                  Just hope its not ligaments, because they take MUCH longer to heal.
                  And they say that leaving decorations up longer than the 6th is bad luck! lol.
                  Regards
                  Gay Elston
                  http://www.artyfactsforcrafts.com

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                    What a wonderful excuse to sit and eat chocs!!!

HHmmmmmm.... chocolates.......

Hope the ankle is better soon! More time to be on the forum eh?!!

Comment

Working...
                    X