Dept of Pensions s c a m?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dept of Pensions s c a m?

I have recently received two phone calles with a pre recorded voice claiming to be from Dept. of Pensions and stating that I am due a bonus of about £1,000. Please press 5 for more info.
    Common sense tells me that if the Dept of P want to speak to me they would write like they normally do, plus when ever do these people give away large sums of money unsolicited. Out of curiosity I did press 5 and was transferred to a ringing number but cancelled it immediately. Please tell me I am right as I would hate to miss out on a legit grand.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Sounds like a s cam

Did you look up the number...

HMRC and DWP would send stuff by post and not phone you (I would of thought)

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Yes. Number unavailable. Should I ring them and ask?
      Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
        Yes. Number unavailable. Should I ring them and ask?
        You could but as I said you'll get something in the post.. And the use of the word "bonus" sounds s cam like to me...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
        (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

You did the right thing but i would'nt have pressed 5 as there was a **** a year or so back where if you did that it redirected you to somewhere and cost people a fortune in call charges even though they got the call in the first place the ****mers had sorted it so they got money out of the people they called. Yes HMRC and Pensions would write to you. This is like the tax man emails i often get telling me im owed a tax refund. Yesterday i got an ebay emails telling me they had refunded in favour of the buyer. **** as i had not sold anything.

Comment

Originally posted by hazelsmail View Post
            You did the right thing but i would'nt have pressed 5 as there was a **** a year or so back where if you did that it redirected you to somewhere and cost people a fortune in call charges even though they got the call in the first place the ****mers had sorted it so they got money out of the people they called. Yes HMRC and Pensions would write to you. This is like the tax man emails i often get telling me im owed a tax refund. Yesterday i got an ebay emails telling me they had refunded in favour of the buyer. **** as i had not sold anything.
            Hopefully that didn't happen as it was still ringing when I put my finger on the buton to cancel it.
            Carol

Comment

There are loads of these ruses going about at the moment. As has been said, if they have something for you they will write - and in my experience they don't write and say we have a rebate/bonus for you, they write to you, naming you with your NI and other associated numbers with a cheque attached in your name and say, "Here you go, this is yours." Phone calls and emails are not legitimate.
              Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I'm wary of anything with a pre recorded voice. Do they owe lots of people £1000? Errrrm ..... probably not.

If it was genuine they would write to you, or ask to speak to you direct.
                Kate
                www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Glad you did not ring,would have cost a lot of money.That's what it is all For to get money from the call.
                  moni

www.folksy.com/shops/krazykrafts4u
                  http://krazykraftscardskeepsakes.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Krazy-...41816422497756"

Comment

Originally posted by moni219 View Post
                    Glad you did not ring,would have cost a lot of money.That's what it is all For to get money from the call.
                    Oooo so am I. My bills are high enough without adding to them. lol.
                    Carol

Comment

Nobody from a government office would make an unsolicited call so you can assume it's a ****. Try calling the Dept. of Pensions to check. I doubt they will even know what you are talking about

Comment

It's probably worth 'phoning the DWP even if it's just to inform them of the potential fraudulant activity in your area.
                        Last edited by vonny; 18-01-2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I would doubt there is anyone at the DWP this week!! I would ignore it, if the DWP owed you money they would send a letter, not telephone.

Comment

I heard on the radio there is a government website fraud and s c a m s that we are supposed to report all these things to.....but no one knows about them. We ought to dig them out and report EVERYTHING to them. Maybe the evil toerags might get caught?

Comment

Ah ha. I think it's this http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X