Christmas aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas aftermath

Cold here!!! The wind has been howling since about 3:00 yesterday afternoon. It's about -6؛C and feels a lot colder. Our house is on pier and beam so the wind howls under, over, around, and (sadly) through, as the caulk dries out and shrinks all year long, so when a cold front howls through, the curtains blow!! This is the one time I really appreciate the dogs being inside - they are great furnaces!! Maddy got in the bed with us last night...she's a real heater!

Its cold here too, we are on a hill with a few trees for shelter but another storm is sweeping in from the Atlantic, another storm force ten!! The weather is weird, the rain falls in thick lumps, not the sort of rain we are used to. The wind is howling across the top of my broken shed chimney and making the most spooky sounds. Enjoy snuggling up with the dogs, its good to be at home in the warm.
    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Originally posted by Eyebright View Post
      The wind is howling across the top of my broken shed chimney and making the most spooky sounds.
      We put up a wall years ago on the back porch (it has a roof), to protect the washer and dryer from rain (had to put them outside for a little more room inside). A small knot fell out of one board eventually, which now makes the most mournful, spookiest whistle sound when the wind blows hard enough!

Comment

Good to hear there are other people alllowing dogs to sleep in their bed. My dog (female) sneaks up every night in our bed.
        http://nest2rest.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine always slept either on the bed or at the side but never in. To be honest, she never asked to either.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Further down the lane from our house there is a metal gate into a field. The gate has holes all the way down one side and the noises it makes when the wind blows in the right direction is amazing, it's like a spooky orchestra! We've another storm forcast for tomorrow and in fact wind and rain for the rest of December.
            "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Our old house was really draughty. If you put a piece of newspaper on the floor a few feet from the closed kitchen door it would blow across the floor. The front door had an almost 1/2 inch gap at the bottom so we permanently had a mat across to stop the draught. We also had no central heating and on cold frosty an icy mornings there was more ice on the insides of the windows than outside.
              Our new house is lovely though, no draughts and great central heating, we feel really spoiled.

Melanie

Comment

Hi, great post. Out two little Shih Zhus cuddle up to me when it's cold but I think it's to get them selves warm. It's nice when they lie across my feet.
                All the best for the New Year
                James & Cath
                www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Comment

It's turned cold here too though not -6 yet ! It's heartening to know I'm not the only softy who lets their dog up on the bed for a cuddle. My excuse is she's a whippet so she hasn't got enough fat to keep her warm (though she keeps working on it !!)
                  www.beadtopia.co.uk
                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadtopiaStudio

Comment

Our dog has learned how to open the kitchen door and can come into our room when she feels like it. I had to stop her jumping on the bed though because she has a habit of getting up and turning round and flopping down again...she's a springer spaniel collie cross so not that small and takes up a lot of room. Every time I fell asleep i'd be woken up by her shifting about! Now I wake up to find her sitting beside my side of the bed grinning at me...she does smile I'm sure of it!

Comment

I just got back in from feeding and watering the chickens and the dogs - I'll let the dogs back in in a couple of minutes. I hate putting them out for long, after being in all night. Granted, it isn't that toasty in here, but still...

We've got the house back in order from Christmas morning. I'm already using my new knitting bowl! My eldest is already in to her new painting craft start-up kit, which she'll add to her party business once she gets it down pat.

There are TWO hatchlings now, that I can see, in the Love Bird nesting box. Awww!!!! So cute in their ugliness, bless them!!

Comment

Working...
                      X