First Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Aid

Ok, now that you are all thinking of giving blood...
    Now i'm going to tell you all to go and do First Aid Course..
    The reason being there was an incident the other day at work, i wasn't there but got a phone call with the poor girls in a panic..
    The gist of it was that the man who was working in the shop next door had a heart attack, and as he fell banged his head on the counter..
    By the time my girls - who were told by a passer by very casually that 'the man there has just collapsed' got there, he was not breathing, no pulse, very blue and covered in blood..
    At that moment my hubbie turned up to see me..(for some reason he thought i was at work)!!
    So he was able to get the man turned over and move him as he was wedged behind his counter space..
    Anyway luckily one of the girls working at our shop knew CPR so kept it going with another passer by (who happened to be a A&E Nurse) untill the ambulance came and restarted his heart.
    So basically, she saved his life, i think she deserves a pay rise just for that!!
    And we have heard that he's coming out of intensive care, so it's really good news so far.
    I'm so pleased, the poor girl who did it was shaking like a leaf, and her arms ached all weekend but wow what a thing to do!!
    Hubbie is going on one with his friend as they do all kinds of dangerous things together and he said it was an awfull position to be in..
    I've done loads of first aid training with my previous job, but will definately be keeping it up as it's surprising how quickly you forget!!
    Ok, i'll stop lecturing now..
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

She should defo get a pay rise!!!What an amazing thing to do!
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I did my first aid course through work and have been a first aider for nearly 6 years. In that time I've used it twice at work to give out plasters, but about 4 times out side work, once for a motorbike accident, once for a serious head injury and two other minor incidents. Was a bit shaken after the two big ones, more from the adrenaline rush than anything I think.

I think your girl should get a pay rise too! I'm sure the man she saved will be very grateful!

I think everyone should be made to go on a first aid course. At the bike accident there were people milling, but no one was helping the injured biker. I'd hate to be in a situation where I needed help and no one know how to give it.

Carol
      Sparklez.co.uk
      Handmade Jewellery

Comment

It's always good to go on refresher courses, but apparantely even though you think you've forgotten stuff, it all comes back to you when you need it. I learnt the other day that they're now advising that you do chest compressions whilst singing (in your head) "Nelly The Elephant" because apparantely it has the right tempo. Can only hope if I ever need to do it, I remember to sing it in my head and not out loud!

My son once properly-choked (rather than it going down the wrong way) on a piece of food, and it did all come flooding back what we'd been taught at post-natal group. Everything was fine in the end, but we were obviously both shaken up and had a little cry afterwards! I mentioned it to all the mums and tried to organise a first-aid course specifically aimed at treating children but sadly nobody was interested......
        Blog Website Flickr

Comment

A pay rise and some lovely flowers are in order - a lot of people would have stood around and flapped.

My eldest who was 19 months at the time had a fit brought on by a high temperture. Jacob was only 7 months old and I had to leave him with on the bathroom floor (it was bathtime) with no nappy on and screaming whilst I sorted Samuel out downstairs because my husband froze.

Luckily one of our neighbours came round and helped us get Samuel on his side and his airways clear and more stable although I think he had stopped breathing and he was foaming and going blue.

And all I could think of was that I'd not hoovered cos there were crumbs all over the place and that the paramedics would think I was a scruffy devil!

Its amazing that your instincts kick in and you just do it. We more or less went to peices when stood outside whilst they put him in the ambulance. 4 hours later he was fine as he wanted a chocolate digestive and not a plain one at 10pm when the nurse brought him something to eat and drink....

He nearly started fitting again in the early hours as he got really hot, but luckily I was in the hospital bed with him and managed to react in time and got him sorted out.

Samuel was totally out of it in the ambulance but he remembers me sitting their talking to one of the paramedics....

Comment

I'm a frist aider at work. When I went on my refresher last year the rest of the people on it were from schools and so when asked "what incidents have you dealt with" they were all saying grazed knees and the like, my turn cam and I had acid in the eye, cut fingers from broken glass, faintings followed by falling off the exercise bike and gaining concussion and a snake bite... thankfully none of the pregnant staff have landed me with any births, and most of the time it's just plasters to cover some small cut while working in the lab...

Gives me something to do when I'm at my busiest usually!
            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Well done that woman! Life is so precious and I can only imagine the relief and gratitude that man's family must have. At 30 heart compressions a minute I am not surprised the ladys arms ached. It really takes effort.

I have just been on a first aid course which was long overdue seeing as I worked with vulnerable people before my burnout. My most stylish bit of first aid was pouring special brew down an individuals throat to bring him out of an alcoholic (withdrawal) fit in order to get him in a state to be more easily treated by the ambulance crew, who didn't know about the remedial uses of super strength lager. However now I have my first aid certificate I carry a 'face shield' in case I need to perform resuscitation at a moments notice. Which makes a change. In the past I used to keep special brew behind the counter in case of alcohol fits. I used to joke that the emergency services were there for my clients and the special brew was there for me.
              Many a mickle muches a markle...

Comment

I did my first aid at work renewal last week.

Fortunately, since I did the initial training three years ago I've only had to deal with a minor burn/scald.

Also, fortunately I work in a building where there are trained medics, practising medics always coming and going and an ambulance station about 50 yards aways!

I agree though that the young lady deserves some kind of reward for her prompt action.

Linda

Comment

Woah she did an amazing thing, I did some first aid with the st johns ambulance when I was about 12 but thats about it! Things like cpr, everyone should know really.
                  Cake Toppers http://huntersdesigns.co.uk
                  My etsy http://peculiarforest.etsy.com
                  My Blog http://peculiarforest.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by larryfroot View Post
                    Well done that woman! Life is so precious and I can only imagine the relief and gratitude that man's family must have. At 30 heart compressions a minute I am not surprised the ladys arms ached. It really takes effort.

I have just been on a first aid course which was long overdue seeing as I worked with vulnerable people before my burnout. My most stylish bit of first aid was pouring special brew down an individuals throat to bring him out of an alcoholic (withdrawal) fit in order to get him in a state to be more easily treated by the ambulance crew, who didn't know about the remedial uses of super strength lager. However now I have my first aid certificate I carry a 'face shield' in case I need to perform resuscitation at a moments notice. Which makes a change. In the past I used to keep special brew behind the counter in case of alcohol fits. I used to joke that the emergency services were there for my clients and the special brew was there for me.
                    About the face shield.... They got a carrier bag and used that!! Now there's something i would never have thought of!!
                    Think we will be adding a face shield to our work first aid kit though!!
                    Yes i agree she is fab.. she is such an un flappable person, i knew that as she never gets stressed when there is a queue down the road with hungry people wanting ice cream!!
                    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

well done that woman for stepping up to the mark I have been a first aider in work now for over 9 years and have seen many things in my time (large factory with over 400 workers) and we have about 25 first aiders and just today i had to deal with a serious nose bleed, about a pint in 20 minutes, but at one accident we were with a man who was caught in a machine and waiting for the ambulance and a fellow first aider came up to me and said "if he startes to bleed when we get him out i'm off i can't stand blood " but i managed on my own as usual so yes well done
                      while i knit i think

http://foxyscraftythoughts.blogspot.com

http://thecraftyfox.misi.me.uk

Comment

face shields...

Well they are really good, but I had real trouble using one on the dummy we trained on. Thamk god I was never called upon to do mouth to mouth for my clients as a few of them were known to have hepatitus C and I don't think a face mask may have been enough if there was a sore or an open wound in the vicinity to prevent cross infection. Now that's a moral dilemma...do you risk hep C or save a life? With the help of a nurse trained in working with high risk groups who had a drop in at my office we helped patch a few bods up. And desperately tried to get a few of them to care for themselves enough to actually see a doctor. Could get a bit harrowing at times.

Comment

If you were to get the girl's permission and the family's permission you could do a press release to your local paper - I'm sure they'd come and take a photograph of her - outside your shop maybe......

Oh okay, I'm a mercenary soul ... always on the look-out for free publicity!
                          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

JBJB...mercenary? Cunning more like!

Comment

My dad has one of those heart shocking thingys that they use in ER at home - they live in a village in the middle of nowhere, so they have a "first responders" team of people who are on call if someone is having a heart attack. They can usually get there before an ambulance can, so they turn up, and if they need to, the can give a quick zap to bring them back.

So, all I need to do is to time my heart attack to when I'm over there, and I don't worry.

Defibrillator - that's what it's called.
                              It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Working...
                              X