Im a life saver!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im a life saver!!

After years of watching the blood donor people set up across the road every few months or so, and thinking yes thats a really good thing to do but i'm soooo scared of needless...
    I did it yesterday!!!
    A friend was going she does it even though she crys every time as she hates the thought of it so i thought 'if she can do it'...
    I would like to tell you all how painless it was.
    I was really nervous but the nurses are soo lovely, they cuddled me up in a blanket as i was cold!!
    And a bonus was it didn't hurt a bit!! And i have no bruise today from the needle!!
    In fact the hardesd bit was trying to get the blinking plaster off today!!
    I just made sure i didn't look at the needle, and didn't look at the blood flowing out of me into a bag.. and it worked a treat!!
    So the lesson of the day is to stop thinking about it!! Do it!!!
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

I've been going for about 30 years - they won't always take it because quite often my iron levels are too low, but I keep going back simply because I might want some of it back at some day!

Comment

Well done you... have a virtual gold star, I have yet to find the courage to do that and I know I should, there's no excuse really. (btw hows the website, I've just had a look and the first necklace I clicked on was sold and the second and then another one)
      Amanda
      xx

Comment

Originally posted by colourart View Post
        Well done you... have a virtual gold star, I have yet to find the courage to do that and I know I should, there's no excuse really. (btw hows the website, I've just had a look and the first necklace I clicked on was sold and the second and then another one)
        I know!! To be honest i sold most of the stuff at Art on The Prom, but i've just put sold on some of them as otherwise it would look like i'm all sold out!!
        It's quite easy to make more of the same, and i'm trying to find the time to do some different stuff as well..
        I'm also really busy at the Parlour, as we are getting the Colchester shop up and running soon hopefully!!
        So it's all exciting stuff!!
        Good job i haven't got kids eh?!!
        http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

1st step is hardest part

dear icecreamgirl , congrats and huge hugs for taking first step and becomming a donor, i too am totally freaked by needles, i took the plunge and have donated 7 times since then , my trick is to go off mentally to a beach and sunbath whilst its all going on, and taking that plaster off is the worse bit !!!!!! try taking rubbing arnica on area if you do get bruising, again well done to you
          grab life by the reins and hold on tight !

Comment

Well done you! I used to give blood but seem to be aenemic more often than not so haven’t donated for a few years now. Agree about not looking at the bag of blood nearly fainted when I did that.

I first started donating when I was in the 6th form and remember announcing in the common room where I was going one afternoon and half the 6th form decided to come along and donate too - I’m sure getting out of lessons and a trip into town didn’t come into it
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Well done all of you for donating!

I was told that I could not donate because I had yellow jaundice as a child!! not sure to be honest if that still applies, but its a shame really because I have a 'rare' blood group.

Maybe I should call somebody to find out if that rule still applies?

Pauline
              Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Pauline there is a website that you can look at to check whether the rules have changed - I'll try and look it up for you later. I tried to give blood recently because it has been a year since I had my tatoo and more than 9 months since I had Tara but it hadn't been 6 months since I got back from Goa which is a malaria risk!! I can go in a couple of weeks though. I always look at the needle going in and watch it going into the bag - it's fascinating!!

Well done for going - have a think too about going onto the bone marrow register too - the blood people will be able to give you details next time you go - it involves giving a blood sample at your doctors and then you are on the register. Well worth doing too! I once taught a little girl who had leukaemia and she had to have a bone marrow transplant and that spurred me into registering. I've not been a match yet but hopefully one day I might be able to help someone. Oh also get a donor card and tell all your family what you want doing if you die - morbid I know but best to be prepared. Right I'll stop lecturing now and go and have breakfast!!
                Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                  Well done you! I used to give blood but seem to be aenemic more often than not so haven’t donated for a few years now. Agree about not looking at the bag of blood nearly fainted when I did that.

I first started donating when I was in the 6th form and remember announcing in the common room where I was going one afternoon and half the 6th form decided to come along and donate too - I’m sure getting out of lessons and a trip into town didn’t come into it
                  I am the same it has been about a year or so since I last donated. Not for lack of trying though, I tend to run borderline anaemic and they wont take me (I don't have enough for myself they say half the time!!)

More people really should donate because they are always advertising that blood stocks are running low. However I feel that the blood buses should get out more because people are able to donate in their lunch break, if they are at the shops etc. Tends to put people off when the need to trail into town to the donor centre.

Cheers.

Lisa
                  Bowed Over
                  Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Every time I was going to donate I was pregnant (twice) or still 'in that zone'. I really need to do it though as I've got a rare blood group

Gives me an incentive

Comment

Well done you and I would just like to add a thank-you aswell.

After Toby was born, I had a huge hemmorage when he was 10 days old and ended up needing 4 pints of blood, so I speak from personal experience as to what a life-saver you are!

On the down-side it means I can't ever give blood now ... they won't accept people who have had blood transfusions. Which kinda makes me think, "what's wrong with the blood they gave me?!!"
                      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with the blood they gave you! I beleive *not 100%* but because there are now 2 peoples worth of antibodies and stuff floating around in your veins there is a much higher risk of rejection if someone else gets your special combination blood? make any sense?
                        well done to eveyone who gave blood! I wish I could but they don't want my blood as I've got a connective tissue disorder which tends to make me bruise and bleed more easily from needle sticks, so apparently as I'm at risk of a bruise I can't donate :/
                        That and all the drugs... :P
                        ~Jo Southall~

Hand-knitted wire jewellery and all sorts of beaded goodies, visit Purl Beads on Facebook

~Happy Crafting everyone~

Comment

Working...
                        X