Himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Himself

Himself, poor soul, has been admitted to hospital. This time they aren't letting him home sans gallbladder.

Today has been deeply scarey one way and another. We finally got Himself admitted to the Emergency Assessment Unit as a priority case. We went in at 2pm and I'm just home now at quarter past midnight.

After what seemed like hundreds of tests, Himself has been diagnosed as having a gallstone (no sh*t!).....anyway, the long and short of it is, his gallbladder is very inflamed and he's on IV antibugs and morphine for the next few days until they operate.

On the way to the male surgical ward, via A&E and EAU, two guys have died (very, very old men who's time had probably come) and this has not inspired confidence in the NHS. Anyhoo...Himself is now comfortable. Tomorrow he's going for a scan,

I'm a bit shaky, but better now that I've had a stiff brandy. I just feel like chewed string.

I'll keep you posted, if you're interested.

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Oh Jules, you and yours haven't had it easy this past week, have you.

Hope everything starts to get better now, he's in the best place really (and I'm sure he'll enjoy the morphine as much as the other lovely pills he's had.)

Thinking of you,
    Carol
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Aw Jules big big hugs to you and very gentle hugs to your hubby. Silver lining I guess is that at least he's now getting the op he needs without the wait but not exactly a great way to go about it. You have my sympathies with the horrible wait in EAU, I've spend far too much time in there over the past few years with hubby's rellies being admitted and being surrounded by all those people in pain (and worse) is just so awful.

Just remembered it was a gallbladder my friend's dad had removed last year, he took a little while to fully recover from the op but was nowhere near as poorly as before the op and now he's absolutely fine and glad to be free from the pain

Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Oh Jules hope you are feeling a bit better this morning. At least he is in the right place and is getting treatment for it.
        Thinking of you
        Lynsey
        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Thinking of you and hubby. Hope it gets sorted soon. Hope all goes well, take care and please keep us updated.
          Emma
          Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
          Sassy Crafts Blog
          My Blog

Comment

Ow Jules your nerves must be in tatters - definitely a stiff brandy (purely for medicinal purposes you see).

My sister in law had her gall bladder removed recently and I think it was with keyhole surgery so she really didn't have a very long recovery period at all and is absolutely pain free now - at best he is getting his much needed surgery sooner!

Thinking of you and yours.

Cheers

Lisa
            Bowed Over
            Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Jules, I'm so sorry to hear that your hubby is back in hospital, but it sounds like the best place for him to be right now. I am thinking of you both. Do keep us posted. We all care about what happens to you and just writing it down can help in stressful situations. Hugs to you all.
              Anice xx
              Funkyhand x
              my website
              http://www.funkyhand.com
              my blog (updated 09/06/10)
              http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
              Follow me on Twitter
              http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Jules... big hug coming your way.

Now the bead freak in me see's oportunity...... Wonder what sort of bead that gall stone could make.
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

awwwww Jules, bless you and himself and hope he is a lot more comfortable today!

Its amazing how much the human body can withstand and its also amazing how quick it can heal (once the doctors begin to get moving on it that is).

I bet it wont be that long before he's home again and you need to get the rest while you can now, because you are going to have to look after him while he is on the mend once he does get home!

Take care and put your feet up when you get the chance!

Pauline
                  Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

As the others have said - he's in the best place. At least now if something unexpected happens, he's there and can be seen straightaway.

My neighbour had her gall-bladder removed and as soon as she was recovered from the op, she was 100% better.
                    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Yes I also know people who have had this same op and recovered 100%

Try not too worry too much
                      Cake Toppers http://huntersdesigns.co.uk
                      My etsy http://peculiarforest.etsy.com
                      My Blog http://peculiarforest.blogspot.com

Comment

Update...

.....just phoned the ward sister.

She's said he was very uncomfortable last night as he's refused the morphine prescribed. Apparently they gave him 3mg and he was really bad, heart palpitations etc for a long while afterwards. I told my MinL and she says it affects her the same way.

I'm not sure what to think about 'Sister'....she said Himself is going for a scan, and 'if he has a gallstone, then they'll treat it'........What? Where does 'if' come into it? I've come to the conclusion that at 9am there was probably a shift change and Sister hasn't had time to read his notes in detail yet. Either that or she's dozey.....

I have an american friend who's had the same op and she was raring to go about a week afterwards, said she'd never felt better, so I have great hopes of this cholesystectomy. The surgeon is japanese and very nice, he can't understand why Himself didn't have it done ten years ago. His med records show that a gallstone was reported from scans done for his spinal problems, but no one mentioned it to us.....how cross-making is that! Ten years he's been in pain with this blinkin' stone.

Weird to spend the night in a half empty bed. I didn't get to bed until one, after my brandy, but was wide awake by 4am. Don't think we've ever spent more than two nights apart in almost 25 years...it's just so strange!

I took my sewing in yesterday, but didn't get any done. I did try but I think the nurses thought I was being a bit crass under the circs. Not sure they understand that I have a (sewing) needle addiction, and it helps to de-stress me....

Thanks for all your well-wishes, I'll tell Himself when I go in later. Complete bummer, not allowed to visit until 2.30pm, and I want to be there now!

Jules
                        Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

I think partners are allowed to visit anytime - well they are up here - I work in the NHS and partners are definitely allowed in anytime (but try to keep out of the road when the docs do their rounds and dinner time!!)

Cheers.

Lisa
                          Bowed Over
                          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Sadly, No....

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                            I think partners are allowed to visit anytime - well they are up here - I work in the NHS and partners are definitely allowed in anytime (but try to keep out of the road when the docs do their rounds and dinner time!!)

Cheers.

Lisa

I have to stick to the visiting hours. But if Himself didn't want me to leave, then I'd kick up a fuss. Personally, I'd like to chat to one of the docs, hear the diagnosis first hand instead of through a drug-befuddled husband or a nurse who thinks because I'm not a nurse then of course, I couldn't possibly understand.

Jules
                            Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Think it depends on which hospital and of course how poorly the patient is.

When hubby has his by-pass last year, we really had to stick to visiting times in the Birmingham hospital, but when my dad passed away last year in the Leicester hospital, they let us (the family) 'take over' the waiting room to the point where we took a small buffet in! Not that any of us wanted to eat, but we were there for most of the day and had to eat something!

You have probably hit the nail on the head when you said it sounded as if she did'nt really know what was going on and had not read his notes!!!

Awww, I hope the time goes quick for you and its not long before you see him.........mind you, if it was me, I would chance it and turn up early - slip in when they can't see you, bet they don't 'force' you out once your there!

Pauline
                              Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Working...
                              X