Need help choosing internet provider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing internet provider.

Ok, I've been with AOL forever, I hate change. They provide my broadband and unlimited phone.
    For mth's now the internet has been playing up, the last month being very unreliable. I have to have a booster on my main pc or else it can't pick up the wireless signal, same goes for the lap top and as I only have one booster box it's a pain to switch over. Pointless having wireless really.

It gets boring listening to the radio all day and daytime tv is not brilliant so I try to put catch up tv on the computer. It starts off well and then keeps freezing, I've never made it through a whole programme yet.

I know I don't get all my AOL emails, especially notifications for sales from my website and I know this is a commom problem with AOL and it's worrying with a business to run.

So am thinking of changing to virgin for broadband, phone & tv.

Now my question is has anybody got anything bad to say about virgin? Any problems? I don't want to make the change to find I am no better off.

Or is there another provider I should be looking at? Tv is not essential, it must provide the phone though with unlimited calls as I'm 300 hundred miles away from my family and I don't want to have to make my 'free' calls in the evenings or weekends only.

Any advice/response would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie x
    www.debbiehowe.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...52781658101133

Good morning Debbie

hope this finds you well

we were having the same trouble with orange been with them for years - but this last two years more trouble than it was worth.

I have just change to BT infinity - we get free calls unlimited, broadband which is a lot quicker you can watch something without it stop and starting. the internet doesn't go off when the phone rings !!!!

My teenager daughter is always on her laptop she is also alot happier.

check out their deals at this time, hope this helps

Take care and good luck
    Sara
    Elegant Designs

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elegan...3497680?ref=hl

Comment

I'm with virgin. We are not in an area where we can recieve the tv too so only have phone and broadband.
      They have always been very helpful and I've not had issues. The main computer is wired to the mode and the other one is wireless. I have had bbc i player freeze once or twice, but I just pull the cursor slightly back and then it's fine again and I suspect that might have more to do with my computer than the signal.
      Do be aware that with virgin you can haggle quite a bit. We were going to leave for a cheeper offer and they said fine, we'll reduce our cost which was fab as we didn't really want to change because of all the hassle.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I have been through the AOL syndrom too and now have BT. I am quite happy with them, have had no problems and have been with them a year now.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
          Sara I've always avoided BT as I had a falling out with them many years ago. I had a fault on my phone line and they came out and fixed it and then sent me a bill even though it was their fault. According to them they hadn't sent out an engineer and I was lying. I made the man a cup of coffee, I hadn't dreamt it! Still that was many years ago now and I should be grown up and forgive them. Will take a look at BT now.

I used to be on virgin for my mobile but the signal was awful and I changed to vodafone once my contract was up. I must say I had to ring virgin mobile a few times and their customer service was always fantastic.

Carol good to hear you had problems as well and it's not just me. Can you still use your AOL email address? I've had mine ever since I've been on the internet and all my business correspondance has that email address. I've got thousands of stored customer emails and would hate to lose them all.
          www.debbiehowe.com

Comment

I did change to Hotmail which I can use whatever provider I have but you can still access your e mails but not send any which gives you the opportunity to remind folk that you have moved, especially if you respond from your new address.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

One of the best ways is to do some research for your area. I find it is not always the ISP who is the problem, it can also be the BT lines we are using. Try some of these sites to check the services out - here & here.

Of course the help the ISP delivers is also a great asset so this need to be part of your checks. The trouble is that you can always find dissenter's and advocates for the majority of providers in the UK. It is very hard for some folks to be objective if they have had a load of grief from some provider, even after years of good service.

Good luck with your search.

For what it is worth, I have had very reasonable service from Tiscali, then Talk-Talk who bought them out.
              regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Originally posted by TePe View Post
                For what it is worth, I have had very reasonable service from Tiscali, then Talk-Talk who bought them out.
                And just to demonstrate your point about how you'll always find dissenters and advocates - we had an atrocious experience with Pipex who are now part of Talk-Talk. When my MIL died we tried to cancel her contract and pay any outstanding bills, they insisted we had to have her signature to do this even though we had told them she had died!!! It dragged on for months until finally a letter arrived at her home informing her that as her bill hadn't been paid for 3 months they were cutting her off....which is what we'd been asking for in the first place. It caused DH a lot of stress he really didn't need at that time so on principle personally I'll never use them.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Ive been with BT for years and never had a problem (sorry Debbie!) The internet at the shop - im not sure what it is, does the same thing with the catchup tv, really annoying!
                  www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Thanks Tam, I will look at them links properly later on. Is the first one saying it's because I live in Devon it's slow? Damn it, I knew there was a down side to living in a lovely part of the country.

Gail you shouldn't be watching tv while I'm slaving away on your garters!!

I did have a quick look at BT yesterday and was very surprised at the prices, seemed really competitive. I must admit everybody I know who is on BT have had no problems.

I think AOL has been reading my browser and all the different providers I've been looking into because today it's all working super quick, typical.
                    www.debbiehowe.com

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                      And just to demonstrate your point about how you'll always find dissenters and advocates - we had an atrocious experience with Pipex who are now part of Talk-Talk. When my MIL died we tried to cancel her contract and pay any outstanding bills, they insisted we had to have her signature to do this even though we had told them she had died!!! It dragged on for months until finally a letter arrived at her home informing her that as her bill hadn't been paid for 3 months they were cutting her off....which is what we'd been asking for in the first place. It caused DH a lot of stress he really didn't need at that time so on principle personally I'll never use them.
                      My point exactly NN, and my sympathies are with you for the distress caused.

PS Debbie, probably one of the best ways to check out web service is to have a word with folks local to you. They are probably the best sounding board.
                      Last edited by TePe; 29-05-2011, 02:21 PM. Reason: adding to
                      regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Working...
                      X