Hair help - again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair help - again.

I have found a special offer for highlights and a cut for £55. At the moment I have mid – dark red brown hair with some roots. Its lightened quite a bit really as I haven’t dyed it since 22 Feb 2011. I am still unsure what to do about colour tbh. I think the dark makes me look older (which I need) but I am getting sick of dying it and I miss the blonde.

I spoke to the hair dresser and she said to go back to blonde I would need a bleach bath and other sorts of things that would come to about £90. I may be able to stretch to it to get it back to the blonde but I really don’t want to end up with that awful fake bleached blonde look. Plus I don’t want to really damage my hair.

The other option is to get highlights and then put a toner on top to calm any orangeyness that may come through. But this would then come to £70 anyway, so I would may as well get the bleach!

My other option is to just keep home dying it with semi permanent dark brown and try and grow it out. The problem with that is I will still be building the dark colour up on my ends so it will be harder to then lighten that later on. I would then just get it cut.

I have days off so I want to get this decided today and make the app and sort it!
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

I'd just go with what your hairdresser advises - providing you trust her!
    Wid

Comment

Personally I would go for the highlights and toner. If you go down the full bleaching route, it is very hard to get your hair into decent condition afterwards. I dont know how often you colour your hair but I think that if you use semi permanents too often, after a while depending on your hair they do build up colour and are hard to get rid of. I first coloured my hair when I was 15 and am now 48. Started off with home colouring kits which were fine. Then I started getting highlights done at the hairdressers which I liked. Anyway a couple of years ago I decided to do it black. Didnt like it so then used various colour restorers, bleach, toners etc. Ended up after spending a fortune on home products with hair that was blonde, slightly orange and very patchy. Now have gone brown but would love it to be a nice blonde again

Comment

It is difficult to remove the red tones and this is likely to cause that 'orange' tone and over bleaching will make your hair weaker and liable to breakage and damage. Personally (and I used to be a hairdresser) I would have highlights and even a few lowlights to break up the regrowth and allow it to grow out and lighten slowly in its own time. If you can bear to have a good amount cut off, you will get rid of the most overprocessed part where the multiple colours have built up.

If you find that the roots coming through still show too strongly, you could go for a 'wash in-wash out' colour (they used to come in sachets at Boots & other chemists) which contain no permanent colouring so won't build up on your hair - they last a couple of washes only but your hair can be growing out in the background if you know what I mean.

Once you are back to your natural colour, I would recommend lowlights to darken it rather than an all-over colour as this is easier to grow out and doesn't cause as much build up and overprocessing.

Good luck.
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Highlights are cheaper too! I just want to avoid that stripy look
          Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Shave it off and start again?

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Well i ended up getting highlights! They look ok and have blended in better than i though. Its still lighter on top than at the ends but i dont think its to noticable!!

Comment

Methinks this demands a photo! Sounds like it was a good choice decision.
                Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                Follow me on Twitter:
                @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Working...
                X