My darned dodgy eyes :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My darned dodgy eyes :(

Can't remember if i've mentioned it on here before, but I have shockingly bad eyesight. I was born with cataracts in both eyes and over the years have had more operations to remove them, correct squints and all sorts of other things, than I can count. The last round of surgery was to put a replacement lens in one eye (which is now standard at the time of cataract removal, but wasn't around 30-odd years ago), and it's been a godsend; no hassle with contacts before being able to do anything etc., and I'm quite happy to wear a contact in the uncorrected eye.

But I noticed yesterday that after I'd been doing some chainmaille for an hour (lovely half persian bracelet!), when I then went to look at something a distance away, it was virtually impossible to see - all blurred with a very distinct floating shadow. And as I sat trying to focus on a particular thing, I also noticed that my peripheral vision appeared to be a bit patchy.

So I managed to get into my local eye hospital this morning, and after two an a half hours of tests it looks like I have posterior capsular opacification, which I believe is also known as an after-cataract. It's where the little sac that your lens inside your eye sits in thickens and becomes cloudy. Apparently it's amazing that I'm seeing as well as I am, as the inside of the eye is a bit of a mess

So now I have to wait to see the surgeon who did the lens replacement to see if he is prepared to do anything to help widen the tiny little gap I currently have letting light get to the back of the eye. I think it can be done by laser, or by keyhole if it's deemed too much for a laser to deal with. I have no idea how long it'll take to get onto his list - I was told 6 months ago that he had a 12-month list for consults (I had been hoping he'd do the same lens replacement on my left eye so I could ditch the contacts altogether), so lord knows what it is now!!

And when I do get to see him, he may decide it's too much of a risk to do anything, in which case I will just be left with deteriorating vision. Not much good for crafting!! Or driving for that matter, which I'm currently very wary of - the sight in my left eye is fine with contacts and glasses, but when my right eye is really playing up I obviously don't want to be on the road.

And none of that's good for next week as I have stuff to pick up from a printer's firm on Monday, to get ready for an event I'm exhibiting at on Weds, and on Tuesday I have two medical appointments on different sides of town, with a pretty tight timescale, as well as my college course!! And my parents are totally absorbed in their own problems; even speaking to them on the phone gets me down these days, so I won't be getting any help from them, although Dad did take me to the eye hosp this morning.

Why does it have to happen when you really don't need it?!?

Sorry for the rant - I know there are others here dealing with really difficult problems at the mo, but I just wanted to vent, and say I'm a bit scared. The thought that I might possibly lose the sight in one eye, although it's by no means at that stage yet, is quite terrifying.
    :cry:

Sarah Gail Designs
    Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
    Crafty Cat Events
    Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Huge hugs from Jersey.....I can understand how you're feeling but do try to think positive!! Difficult I know xx
    Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

I have had very similar problems as you, not over so long a period thank goodness but I also have had to have a hole lasered in both eyes to let in more light because of the thickening of the membrane after having cataracts removed and implants put in. I still wear glasses (Don't feel comfortable with contacts) but the improvement is amazing. I can see to do very close hand sewing without any difficulty, can thread the needle too without an aid. Good luck to you, let us know how you get on.
      Last edited by Critchley; 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Thanks both

Carol, good to hear your experience - sounds like what I have developed, and I just need to hope they'll do the lasering. Apparently, the membrane is hardly letting any light in, and there's a lot of mucus there too. I still wear glasses as well as the contact, so that wouldn't be any change. The one contact lens I do wear has a strength of +16 (and my glasses are +5.25 and +5.75), so you can guess how bad things were when I had to wear two!!

Fingers crossed I'm worrying over nothing, and they can sort it out lickety-split!

Sarah Gail Designs
        Crafty Cat Events

Comment

I've got rubbish eyesight, but nothing like you have described and as long as I wear my specs I am OK.

Hugs to you and I hope you can get sorted out very soon and be able to continue crafting.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by muffin789 View Post
            Thanks both

Carol, good to hear your experience - sounds like what I have developed, and I just need to hope they'll do the lasering. Apparently, the membrane is hardly letting any light in, and there's a lot of mucus there too. I still wear glasses as well as the contact, so that wouldn't be any change. The one contact lens I do wear has a strength of +16 (and my glasses are +5.25 and +5.75), so you can guess how bad things were when I had to wear two!!

Fingers crossed I'm worrying over nothing, and they can sort it out lickety-split!
            The moisture is another reason they make a hole in the membrane, to allow it to dry out. Sounds like a launderette dosen;t it.
            Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
              The moisture is another reason they make a hole in the membrane, to allow it to dry out. Sounds like a launderette dosen;t it.
              Haha!! Very true

I've had an afternoon of taking it easy, as all the tests gave me a nasty headache, but I'm getting heartily bored now. I can see it'll be back to the extra-large-print library books for me!!

Thanks, Linda Really hoping it doesn't take too long to get whatever needs doing done, and I will keep crafting one way or another!!
              Last edited by muffin789; 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM.

Sarah Gail Designs
              Crafty Cat Events

Comment

Well at least if you take them back late you don't get fined if you have a 'U' on your card.
                Carol

Comment

Awwwwwwww Muffin, i am so sorry this has happened to you. I pray you can get a good outcome from the surgeon and that he can do everything he can for you.
                  Sending you love and hugs.
                  PeonyRose
                  "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
                  --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

Thanks

Been trying to do some more maille this morning, but it's made my eye go all blurry again. Probably best give it a rest now

Sarah Gail Designs
                    Crafty Cat Events

Comment

Can i ask what maille is exactly? I don't think i have heard of it?
                      PeonyRose
                      "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
                      --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

Gosh Sarah! You sound very brave and positive to me so if you feel the need to cry then do so, it's always a good 'release'. I can only begin to imagine how you must feel; I know that I, as a coward, would be very frightened. Do you have a sibling who can be more supportive towards you right now, in lieu of your parents support?
                        We're all here though and we all care. I wish you well. x
                        ~ Rachael
                        My etsy Shop Blog

Comment

Sarah said, "chainmaille" and as a knitter myself I main not get this technically correct but basically it's linking tiny hoops of metal together in a particular way to form a rope or a fabric.

Originally posted by PeonyRose52 View Post
                          PeonyRose
                          ~ Rachael
                          My etsy Shop Blog

Comment

Originally posted by PeonyRose52 View Post
                            PeonyRose
                            Originally posted by BlueShedCrafts View Post
                            Sarah said, "chainmaille" and as a knitter myself I main not get this technically correct but basically it's linking tiny hoops of metal together in a particular way to form a rope or a fabric.
                            Rachael is right - chainmaile is essentially the art of linking meral jump rings together in different ways to make different patterns. The photo below os of one of my favourite pieces so far

Originally posted by BlueShedCrafts View Post
                            Gosh Sarah! You sound very brave and positive to me so if you feel the need to cry then do so, it's always a good 'release'. I can only begin to imagine how you must feel; I know that I, as a coward, would be very frightened. Do you have a sibling who can be more supportive towards you right now, in lieu of your parents support?
                            We're all here though and we all care. I wish you well. x
                            Thanks Rachael. Have been feeling a bit wobbly today - haven't event bothered to dress. I've have had a bit of a cry and a rant, and it's made me feel a bit better. In a lot of ways I'm trying not to get too anxious about it as it's completely in someone else's hands, and there isn't really much effect I can have on it, other than trying to persuade the surgeon to have a go. And knowing him as I do, if he;s not prepared to do it for whatever reason, nothing I sat will change his mind.

I think I'm bothered most by the fact that getting my eyesight to the point where I was able to get a driving licence was a massive thing for me. All through my life I'd become pretty much resigned to never driving, and once I had the lens implant done (11 years ago now), it changed everything. I love the freedom having a car allows you and without one, I'd have to give up craft fairs. If they won't do anything to improve the vision in my right eye, and it deteriorates at the speed it currently is, it'll only be a couple of months before the car has to go. Hate the thought of that.

Unfortunately, my sister and I only speak on the phone as she lives in a different part of the country and we don't get to meet very often. She hates coming down here as my parents aren't as pleasant towards her as they should be. She's been great ove the last few days, but has enough problems of her own to deal with, so I try not to put even more on her. I wish ny parents had more empathy; my mum's first reaction when I was telling her what they hospital said was "so you won't be able to take me to ... anymore if you can't drive". She's become far more self-centred in the last 6 months, and I can't say I like it very much. I try to avoid involving her too much in anything as she can't stand not being the centre of attention; I'm waiting for her to come up with some new ailment to get everyone's sympathy focussed on her again (every time I have had some big operation or a nasty illness, she's had to "beat" me). That makes me sound so awful and ungrateful. I don't mean to be, it's just that I've seen some sides to my mother that are really quite unpleasant. Doesn't mean I don't love her though. And my Dad just wants anything for a quiet life; he finds it hard dealing with difficult or painful situations so just avoids them and talks about the weather, bless him!!

But never mind. Can't change things, so just need to get on and deal with it. There are people far less fortunate than me who deal with harder things than this every day of their lives. I'm a big believer in karma, so if the worst happens, it'll be because it's meant to!!

Appreciate everyone's kind thoughts - thank you - it reminds me that there are some really lovely people around
                            Last edited by muffin789; 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM.

Sarah Gail Designs
                            Crafty Cat Events

Comment

Fingers crossed, I may be able to get my eyes treated privately, using health insurance I forgot I pay for!!! Am off to the eye hosp for more tests etc this afternoon, so will talk to whoever I see there, and see if they will write to my health insurance people confirming the need for treatment, and that should be all I need to get the ball rolling.

And the surgeon who did my eye implant is the one who would treat me at the local private hosp too. That would cut the wait down quite a lot!!!

Here's hoping it's as easy to sort as it sounds!

Sarah Gail Designs
                              Crafty Cat Events

Comment

Working...
                              X