Fruity Interruptions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruity Interruptions...

.....I'm making new stock for Exeter & Taunton. Or I'm trying to...

Yesterday I was interrupted (is that two r's or one?) by #2 son who wanted to know whether or not I'd make jam if he picked enough blackberries for me.

Now, we do this every year...the kids require jam but leave with a big plastic tub which tends to return with one or two dozen blackberries rolling around, lost, in the bottom. So, with this in mind, I said yes, Jamie, I'll make jam if you do the picking........and went back reassured, to my sewing.

Soooooooo......8+ lbs of blackberries and half a sack of Bramleys arrived in my kitchen two hours later!!!!! OH buggeration...he's called my bluff this time! A local farmer saw Jamie, Sam & friends blackberrying and donated the apples, which they have now peeled & chopped, and there's a small mountain of sugar in my kitchen fetched from Sainsbury's by them too.

On the plus side, although my sewing has stopped mid-article, the house smells divine! There is a huge pan of the most gloriously coloured blackberries simmering gently on my stove top, a row of glistening sparkly clean jam jars on the worktop.

But most precious of all, two expectant faces waiting to taste the fruits (literally) of their hard labour.....

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

You can make it quicker in the microwave.

Not done it with anything other than strawberries, but you can do strawberry jam in 8 minutes in the microwave!
    It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

ooh fab - kids have a knack of puling something out of the bag when you least expect it dont they!! LOL We went redcurrant,strawberry and raspberry picking the other day and the kids loved it!
      My blog

Website in progress - will update soon.

Comment

I am terrible never made jam in my life so take my hat off to you all who know how to make the stuff - I hate cooking I'm afraid, I don't bake unless I really really need too - don't mind cooking if we have family and friends over but hate the daily what will we have for tea tonight!!!

Enjoy making the jam Jules.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Wow..I am always in awe of anyone who can 'make' stuff like jam. I have less than Zero ability when it comes to cooking. I have to look everything up, even stuff like how long to boil an egg!
          I love to eat though and I'm very good at that!
          Anice xx
          Funkyhand x
          my website
          http://www.funkyhand.com
          my blog (updated 09/06/10)
          http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
          Follow me on Twitter
          http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Originally posted by Funkyhand View Post
            Wow..I am always in awe of anyone who can 'make' stuff like jam. I have less than Zero ability when it comes to cooking. I have to look everything up, even stuff like how long to boil an egg!
            I love to eat though and I'm very good at that!
            Anice xx

I agree with you there!

I now feel really inadequate!

PS Egg boiling - just put loads of water in the pan and leave it till its almost boiled dry and then you know its done!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tip Top View Post
              I agree with you there!

I now feel really inadequate!

PS Egg boiling - just put loads of water in the pan and leave it till its almost boiled dry and then you know its done!!
              Here speaks someone who set fire (yes, literally) to a gas cooker about 3 weeks after it was installed. Flames licking round the gas pipe and everything! Guess who does most of the cooking in our house now?

Jules - if they went to Sainsbury's to buy some sugar, couldn't they just have bought some jam while they were there? They're in the same aisle......... (sorry, being fascetious I know, even if I can't spell it!)
              Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Oh but home made jam is delicious!! 1lb sugar, 1lb of strawberries - bung it all (strawberries chopped) into a microwavable bowl. Wack it on full power for 4 mins, stir then put it back in for 4 mins. Once it has cooled it may need another lot of 4 mins - depends on how runny it is and wether it has set. You can re-boil it until it's ready to whatever consistency you like.

I wouldn't have had a clue what to do unless my mother in law had told me. I've got some of her yummy jam in the fridge at the mo.
                Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Ah!
                  Now that sounds easy peasy!

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                    Oh but home made jam is delicious!! 1lb sugar, 1lb of strawberries - bung it all (strawberries chopped) into a microwavable bowl. Wack it on full power for 4 mins, stir then put it back in for 4 mins. Once it has cooled it may need another lot of 4 mins - depends on how runny it is and wether it has set. You can re-boil it until it's ready to whatever consistency you like.

I wouldn't have had a clue what to do unless my mother in law had told me. I've got some of her yummy jam in the fridge at the mo.
                    Stick it through the blender if it's still too runny.

Comment

O....m...g.....

....what to do with 17lbs of blackberry & apple jam?

It's delicious though, and the boys have absolutely loved making it. It's as much as I can do to stop them going to pick more. They want to have a jam stall at the end of the drive......

We've donated jars & jars to all of our elderly neighbours, saved some for my parents who'll be here in a few weeks, given some to my sister, and to the boys' friends who helped pick the berries.

Still got nine jars left.....!

Jules
                      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Let 'em sell it - get the entrepreneurial skills started young!!
                        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post

It's delicious though, and the boys have absolutely loved making it. It's as much as I can do to stop them going to pick more. They want to have a jam stall at the end of the drive......

We've donated jars & jars to all of our elderly neighbours, saved some for my parents who'll be here in a few weeks, given some to my sister, and to the boys' friends who helped pick the berries.

Jules
                          If only you could find a craft-fair or something where they let you sell handmade stuff.......
                          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

lololol

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
                            If only you could find a craft-fair or something where they let you sell handmade stuff.......
                            Can't sell food without a current Food Safety certificate and a 'food vending' license or somethingorother.......it's a pain!

Jules
                            Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post

Jules

Use some as a basis for a crumble.

Comment

Working...
                              X