Sir Ken Robinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Ken Robinson

This guy is so great...I love listening to his talks. He is extremely popular among the homeschoolers of America. Is homeschooling legal in the UK? I know it isn't in Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Yep homeschooling is legal here, when I had my shop I had lots of parents with their homeschooled children come in - until then I hadn't realised how popular it was around here.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I would love to be homeschooled - I think it would make me more creative ALTHOUGH I do think I would be less social and not be so academic and not to be up my own a** or anything but high achieving. I think think homeschooling is more common in the US? am I right?
      Blog;http://sewingsteady.blogspot.com/

Hopefully there will be a new blogpost EVERY day !

Comment

It is quite widespread here in teh USA. I don't know how many people homeschool in the UK but I bet there are a good many.

So Caroline, how old are you?

Comment

Will be 15 this year

Yeah, I see so many programs from the US with homeschooled kids as well as lots of people's blogs, their children are homeschooled too
          Blog;http://sewingsteady.blogspot.com/

Hopefully there will be a new blogpost EVERY day !

Comment

A couple of the schools in the catchment area near my old shop had pretty bad reputations which is why I think home schooling was so popular around there. The town has just been the first in the country to be approved to have a free school* which parents have been campaigning for for years so it'll be interesting to see if the number of home schoolers will reduce.

* for Susan - a free school is public funded but independently run http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12192484
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

That's interesting reading. Over here, if the gov't gives you funds, you therefore do everything their way because it's tax monies, and the citizenry's monies are to be spent the same for everyone - which means everyone gets the same stuff in school, whether it suits their learning style or not. Many states make homeschoolers submit the curriculm they're using for approval, and have the kids take standardized tests, etc., but here in The Great State of Texas, the law is that homeschoolers are considered to be private schools, they receive no tax monies and they are on their own. It's AWESOME! We also have an incredible homeschool lobby here, and several VERY aggressive homeschool organizations that make sure nothing happens to change what we have here.

I never had a curriculum for either of my homeschooled kids - we just did it freestyle and Susannah graduated from the U of Texas, also studied at the U of Lyon in France...she has traveled abroad a fair amount, and lives and works in NYC. Jonathan is a sophomore in college, works there as a math tutor...he's doing very well.

Neither of them is a genius or anything, they just learned to love learning. That was our main focus in their upbringing.

Comment

While there are a fair few homeschooled children in the UK it is generally not encouraged by the government or schools. A lot of importance is put on exam results by employers here. So much in fact that often employers looking for basic unskilled workers will choose the person with the best exam results rather than the most suited candidate.
                My son had lots of problems at school because of bullying and being partly deaf. He missed about 1/2 the days in school when he was 13 due to migraines and stomach aches - brought on by worry and depression. In the end the school told me when he was 14 that I had to either take him out of school completely or I would be prosecuted for not sending him to school. The idea being that he would be having 'lessons in life' with me. Because of his hearing problems they agreed that he would have a home tutor for 1 hour per day and he ended up only taking english, maths and NVQ exams.
                Although I was very reluctant to agree and had to face very strong dissaproval and critisism from my family at the time, I think it was the best thing for him and he is a now a happy, inteligent and sensible young man with a good job that he loves.

Melanie

Comment

Melanie, that is a very common story and it always has a happy ending! Yay for you for having the courage to take him out!! You rock!!! Yours was an act of love. No one else, especially the school, loved you son...

There is always some difficulty with family, it seems...it's hard for many people to comprehend homeschooling.

People said things to me like, "God, I couldn't stand being around my kids all the time like that. They're so horrible."

And someone said something like ''How could you give up your own life like that?"

And my sister in law said to my son, after asking him how he was doing in college, "it must be so hard to learn anything, having never been in school."

Comment

I meet loads of home educated children at Kentwell. www.kentwell.co.uk
                    (Up to 500 people live as Tudors for 3 weeks a year. Schools visit during the week, the public at weekends. They can't get over our 'families'. Children who go to school have a h**l of a time getting permission to take part. For the home educated children it is their education.)

So the home ed kids all have sad stories to tell. Stories of being swats and bullied at school, of severe dyslexia and getting no useful help, stutterers told they were stupid etc. For their week (or more) at Kentwell they are valued for what they are. Teaching is done by verbally, visually and I think, more importantly by doing. Time goes at a natural pace. You are expected to do things but not forced. Kids learn actions have consequences. Turn your nose up at food and go hungry. Don't listen to the grown up, stand too close to the back of a cart horse and it stands on your foot breaking a toe or two. (Relax, they learned that one by watching a distracted should have know better grown up.) The big important bit: the children are valued, respected, needed and wanted. It does not depend on their reading skills, exam results, or ethos/gang they have to fit in with. We do have 'gangs' but enough different ones for 'the old folk' to manipulate things to shift unhappy children around and set up mentors/buddies to offer supportive settings for these kids to blossom in.
                    My for example is my dyslexic son getting low marks in his English GCSE but top marks in History, which needed lots of writing but was obviously marked on content and understanding which he had picked up from his stays at Kentwell.

So back to home ed. The parents are usually very concerned and consciencious and put their all into it. They are supported by a voluntary organisation called Education Otherwise and local networks happen where home ed families get together for social/educational days, outings, skill sharing and events. The home ed children seem to be more at ease interacting with people of all ages. They are more independent thinking and less conventional than school 'herded' children. Our ones have found refuge and support (you have to recognise that to want to live as a Tudor for a week or more our grown ups must have not run of the mill values) and forged their way into decent jobs but not by the normal pathways.
                    Our latest figure seems to be around 0.42% of children are being home educated in the UK. How does that compare to the US?

AnnieAnna
                    www.anniethepedlar.co.uk

Comment

I could not find any current percentages but found one for 2003 that put it at 2.3 %, so it has most likely gotten higher than that. There are something like between 1.9 and 2.5 million homeschooled students here, I read somewhere recently. Don't know how accurate that is.

Comment

My number's not accurate either. No one seems to have bothered counting apart from one or two counties. Counties can be very different so my number could be misleading. It's also a couple of years behind the times.

Comment

The reason for the lack of accurate and current data here is that most homeschool families feel that it's none of the government's dang business, and that the gov't has no biz taking over the education and rearing of anyone's kids. It's cloning. Bring everyone down or up to meet in the middle and try to teach everyone the same thing the same way. Lord.

Well, I am with the other homeschoolers here, and I'm quite vocal on it locally - boo big gov't and my kid is my kid, to raise the way I want!

We are really limiting the cognitive 'gene pool' so-to-speak, when it comes to future leaders and future anything, by rounding up all the kids and putting them in a conveyor belt gov't institution - public school. To me, public school has no love for the children on an individual basis...no respect for their family values or family stories, unless it is politically correct to do so on a general cultural basis. It has no interest in what each family wants for their own children. It herds the kids along like cattle and tells them they will be good at this or that and nOT at that or this...

oh don't let me get started....

Anyone read Lord of the Flies?? WHY would anyone want to put their kid in a huge group of other kids and leave them every day for 12 years, in the charge of some frazzled and possibly troubled adult who cares not one iota about the individual???

Pant, pant...okay...going to work in the garden some more...maybe have a pleasant visit with my goats...

Comment

This is me shouting now: I've been a teacher. How did they expect me to give love and care to 30 children at once! (Actually I had 35!) Have they done the maths? That's 10 minutes per child per day. They were 4 and 5 years old. They needed cuddles. We weren't supposed to touch them. They needed their snotty noses wiping. We did provide the hankies and I tried to teach them how to do it. Some were reading and we ran out of suitable library books and weren't allowed to raid the junior one. One of them's dad had accidently killed her uncle. One had an alhoholic mum and was depressed at 5 years old. One was being adopted and kept loosing his temper. One couldn't use the toilet or feed herself. One was so neglected we gave her a shower and dressed her in a pretty frock for the school day, then back into her stinky clothes to go home. Surfice it to say I did cuddle them and didn't teach them all the same thing at the same time.
                            But I'm with you, Cosmic. Oh Lordy!

Comment

But we know that you're a special lady. I taught Kindergarten years and years ago, and I know just what you're talking about...teaching is not an easy or a fun job.

All the more reason to homeschool!

Comment

Working...
                              X