Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Mail Warning

Hi All,

Just to let you know I received an e-mail from Natwest today saying that they had had complaints from customers about something or other (I can't remember the exact wording) as such they had suspended my online banking details until I could confirm my identity.

Now it is very professional looking but the warning signal was I DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THE NAT WEST!!!!!! Just to let you know in case you get it and you do have a NAT West Account - like I say it is very professional looking so watch out.

Guess the best bit of advice is to never ever ever clink on a link from an e-mail unless you know who it is from or give your details out by responding to en e-mail from someone you don't know always type the web site and enter it from your address bar.

Cheers.

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Bad people out there

Thanks Lisa,
    I get these sorts of emails about 5 times a day! You advice is correct, never click on any links. If you have an account with any of these banks etc, go to their site and log in directly.
    All the ones I receive never have my name on them just say things like 'Dear Valued Customer' I've got them set up now straight into my junk filter!
    Anice xx
    Funkyhand x
    my website
    http://www.funkyhand.com
    my blog (updated 09/06/10)
    http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter
    http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Anything to do with "your account" delete...

The only "your account" type of emails you should read are the ones that you have requested... e.g. forgot password etc...

One extra bit of security is to copy and paste password.. your need a file e.g. word document of notepad text file that contain a password / passwords.. Select the correct one and copy it, to then paste it into site e.g. banking / ebay / paypal..

Why ?
      Well you can have a program on you computer called a "keylogger" this records what you type.. Copy and paste gets around this..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
      (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I used to get these. Now I have tightened security and have chosen not to even download them from my server.
        Great to give others a warning though.
        http://butterbeandesigns.co.uk/

Comment

It seems that you get more if you sell on internet sites like ebay and use paypal....

Take time to read through the email telling you are suspended as sometimes the grammar and spelling are funny!!

Comment

How come the only spam emails I get are to do with ******?!

Good advice about copying and pasting Mr M, I have a page in my "notepad" that's got all my passwords on and do just that, copy and paste each time.

There are also a load of emails doing the rounds saying a friend has sent you an e-card and click here to open it, blah, blah, blah.

Basically, if I don't recognise the sender and it's not an order for anything I sell, I put it straight in the deleted folder without even opening it.
            Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Thanks Lisa & Mr M for your very valuable info. & advice.
              Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

I've had LOADS of those e-card spams recently - they just get deleted straight away now. (I also get the ****** ones ! And something called '******' but they get filtered out & deleted too). I also get ones from 'bored russian girls who would like to chat' .. eh ?! I mean where the 'eck do those come from !!
                Mel

Comment

The internet is magic sometimes..

I can with a little bit of scripting look at the history of your browsers so what happens is when you visit a visit a site the script looks for ebay or paypal or banks and triggers a email..

You should never have a email address on your site and have a contact form..
                  Ok your need to pay more for hosting but for god sake why do people think you can pay £10 a year and get service ?

If you paid £10 for someone to fix your car would you think your getting service ?

Pay peanuts ...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                  (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
                    How come the only spam emails I get are to do with ******?!

Good advice about copying and pasting Mr M, I have a page in my "notepad" that's got all my passwords on and do just that, copy and paste each time.

There are also a load of emails doing the rounds saying a friend has sent you an e-card and click here to open it, blah, blah, blah.

Basically, if I don't recognise the sender and it's not an order for anything I sell, I put it straight in the deleted folder without even opening it.
                    Notepad's not the best place to store them, though!! Word or Excel you can password protect, and then you only need to remember one password.

Somewhere I've got a "vault" that stores passwords for me and then cut and paste out of there - much more secure than a notepad document, but each to their own.
                    It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                      Hi All,

Just to let you know I received an e-mail from Natwest today saying that they had had complaints from customers about something or other (I can't remember the exact wording) as such they had suspended my online banking details until I could confirm my identity.

Now it is very professional looking but the warning signal was I DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THE NAT WEST!!!!!! Just to let you know in case you get it and you do have a NAT West Account - like I say it is very professional looking so watch out.

Guess the best bit of advice is to never ever ever clink on a link from an e-mail unless you know who it is from or give your details out by responding to en e-mail from someone you don't know always type the web site and enter it from your address bar.

Cheers.

Lisa
                      There are lots going round at the moment. The best way to find out if they are genuine is to send them to a techie.

So - if you'd just like to forward the email, with your correct username, password, date of birth, PIN and mothers maiden name to me, I'll check to see if it's a fake or not.

Better include your home address, passport number, bank sort code, account number and inside leg measurements just in case.
                      It's never too late to gyrate!

Comment

I just had one form Abbey internet banking.I dint click the link but went straight to my Abbey account and it said nothing new.
                        https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                        X