Apple Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Pie

We're having a dinner for my partner's brother's girlfriend's birthday and I'm making the pud, her favourite is apple pie, does anyone have any scrummy recipes, or, any tips on how to make a really yummy apple pie?
    Any advice will be gratefully received!
    Jayne.
    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

I haven't got a recipe but add cinnamon and raisins to it too - yummy!! Jules (Apple Tree Crafts) usually has some lovely recipes - she might be on later to give you some hints!
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Normal apple in the pie then cover with a good layer of grated strong cheddar before covering with pastry.

Comment

Agree with Swirly, lots of cinnamon, and brown sugar, yummy!!! Hot with ice cream or custard .... ooooo now I want some!!!
        Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

I love the sound of cinnamon & raisins but not sure about cheese?
          Jayne

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy4lee View Post
            I love the sound of cinnamon & raisins but not sure about cheese?
            Cheese and apple together is yummy (never had it in a baked pie before though!) My favourite lunch is meusli ryvitas with sliced apple and grated cheese - I had it today in fact!
            Blog Website Flickr

Comment

I will definitely try cheese and apple together....but maybe not in the pie?
              Jayne

Comment

Usual apple pie but with a layer of lemon curd on the base....mmmm

Or top with meringue instead of pastry!

Or pipe shortbread mix on top and bake....now that is yummy...normal shortbread mix but with an extra egg and a touch of milk. Sprinkle with b.sugar.

Sorry~ chef head on again!!

Or stew apples in cider/brandy!!!
                Debbie
                www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

Unusual topping...

...quick and very effective;

I always use frozen desert or shortcrust pastry because my own pastry is inedible.

So, line a pie dish or tin with shortcrust pastry and either bake it blind, or put in your sliced apples/raisins/cinnamon, brown sugar etc. Then take a block of still froazen desert or short crust pastry and grate it over your pie filling, evenly covering the top. This also looks pretty on wee mince pies at Christmas.

Bake as normal. As soon as you remove it from the over sprinkle with castor sugar, or brown sugar if preferred. Or wait a little while and sprinkle with icing sugar (I use the tea strainer like a mini sieve for this!)

You can also substitute dried cranberrys for the raisins!

Jules
                  Apple Tree Crafts
                  www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

WOW!! Thank you for your fantastic ideas!! I love the idea of the lemon curd on the bottom and the grated pastry top, oh and the stewed apples in cider/brandy. I think I may have to try out some of these ideas -all in the name of research, just to make sure they're OK...
                    Jayne

Comment

Serve with a yummy dollop of clotted cream
                      Melanie

"When I talk about belief, why do you always assume I'm talking about God?" Serenity

http://www.myspace.com/kandmcreations
                      http://www.kandmbeadshop.co.uk/ | http://www.kandmcreations.co.uk/
                      http://kandmcom.etsy.com

Comment

So Important.....

Originally posted by mjbelkin View Post
                        Serve with a yummy dollop of clotted cream
                        And we all forgot it! My personal favourite is a really good vanilla icecream with hot fruity pies...

Speaking of which, a really good really simple pud is the best vanilla icecream you can get ( Lidl's in a blue box is unbeatable) topped with a generous splash of brandy...or whatever spirit or liqueuer you like best!

Calvados is great with apple deserts....

Jules

PS I got a card from Sainsbury's today for my birthday with a coupon for a free tub of their Simplt the Best icecream! I bought Farmhouse Devon Toffee....or something like that.
                        Apple Tree Crafts
                        www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                          And we all forgot it! My personal favourite is a really good vanilla icecream with hot fruity pies...

Speaking of which, a really good really simple pud is the best vanilla icecream you can get ( Lidl's in a blue box is unbeatable) topped with a generous splash of brandy...or whatever spirit or liqueuer you like best!

Jules

PS I got a card from Sainsbury's today for my birthday with a coupon for a free tub of their Simplt the Best icecream! I bought Farmhouse Devon Toffee....or something like that.

Don't, your making my mouth water ...going to have to go out tomorrow now and buy ingredients for a apple pie and of course get the ice-cream..........or should I go for clotted cream? Hmmm

Blackcurrents are ready on my bush! maybe I will make a blackcurrent one too!
                          Debbie
                          www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post

Jules

You're right, Lidl icecream is fantastic! I'll definitely get some to go with the pie.

Jayne.
                            Jayne

Comment

I like icecream and custard with my cinamony apple pie!! (at the same time!)
                              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Working...
                              X