computer help.... PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer help.... PLEASE!

As I am frequently moaning about the queues for computer use in our house I am sure it will come as no surprise that we are considering getting a second computer.
    I have several concerns etc that I'd appreciate some advice on.
    • If i have two computers, I believe they can be connected together so that files can be accessed off both computers etc. If this is so, how are they connected. (they will be in seperate rooms one upstairs and the other in the room below).
    • If I have two computers do I need a norton antivirus contract for each of them?
    • Would I need two printers?
    • Could one computer be XP and the other be Vista?
    Thankyou for any advice anyone can offer.... also grateful for any other advice I should have asked about but haven't.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

I'll get hubby to have a look at this thread and I'll get back to you!
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

My sister has three computers in her house and they all connect via some wireless connection thingy, and all use the same printer, but other than that am not going to be any use whatsoever, sorry!!
      Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

We have two computers and they both run off the same router so we can both be online at the same time. It uses a wireless connection so I can be anywhere in the house and get online.

Had to get someone to set it up for us (rubbish with computers!)

We have anti virus on both systems but had to buy them seperatly unfortunatly. Now we download most of our security stuff free from download.com

Hope that makes sense

Good luck with it
        Julz p.s they both use the same printer

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
          As I am frequently moaning about the queues for computer use in our house I am sure it will come as no surprise that we are considering getting a second computer.
          I have several concerns etc that I'd appreciate some advice on.
          • If i have two computers, I believe they can be connected together so that files can be accessed off both computers etc. If this is so, how are they connected. (they will be in seperate rooms one upstairs and the other in the room below).
          • If I have two computers do I need a norton antivirus contract for each of them?
          • Would I need two printers?
          • Could one computer be XP and the other be Vista?
          Thankyou for any advice anyone can offer.... also grateful for any other advice I should have asked about but haven't.
          Hi,

1 - Yes you can connect the two together. You need to get a router (some broadband suppliers give them away, if not they are about £50). This will allow you to connect the two, either by a cable or wireless. You will need to connect the router to your phone line / internet connection, and if you are going wireless, then each machine needs to have wireless available. Most laptops have wireless, but you'd need to make sure that your desktop machine has it.

If you need to use wires, then you can get adapters that plug into any electrical plug socket and then into your computer, so that you don't have cables trailing all the way through the house. I don't know how much they cost though.

2 - Yes. You can get other anti-virus software though. I use Kaspersky, which if you register for an AOL screen name (for free), you can get a years free subscription. There are links / advice on the forums at moneysavingexpert.com

3 - No. You connect the printer to one machine, and as long as the machine is switched on, you should be able to print to it. Some printers will connect to a router, so you don't need to have the computer switched on to print to it.

4 - Probably. I wouldn't use Vista for the time being though, as it will have lots of bugs and security holes in it, until the next release is out (based on typical Microsoft programming).

There is a technical forum at moneysavingexpert.com that might be worth a look at, where more people will be able to provide input. Alternatively, post back and I'll see what I know...

HTH,

Mr Swirl
          Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
          My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
          My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Thanks matt
            That's lots to think about. Wish I was computer savy!!! can only do what I have to do though.

Comment

Do you have an ADSL or Cable connection?
              Make sure you get the correct router for your broadband. It is a commen mistake that a lot of people make (I talk to these people all the time as I work in Broadband Support myself)

Wireless would be the best option if you are connecting between more than one room.

I would recommend that you pay for a half decent router, as you really do pay for what you get with this. My recommendations would be Linksys, Netgear or Belkin.

As for Anti Virus programs - I wouldn't touch Norton with a barge pole to be honest. AVG or Avast are fine and are also free. They have done the job for me and my customers for over 8 years!

With a decent router, you also get the added security of a hardware firewall which adds that extra security to yourself and your family.

As for Vista, I would tend to agree. If you do however go out and get it, then make sure it is not the basic pack.

Mr Swirl has answered all the other questions for you

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
                One of the engineers we've spoken to recently said that it was possible to purchase a vista computer and then downgrade it to a windows xp and then in a years time revert it to vista.
                What would be the drawbacks etc of that idea.... is it possible etc.

Comment

It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it as when you are paying for the PC you are usually paying for the Vista licence also. If you were to downgrade to XP, it would mean you would have to go out and buy another version of XP (if you want to be legit) to install on the system. Then you would need to get someone in to do the actual uninstall of Vista, and then install XP.

If you are getting a PC Engineer in to do that, then you are looking at approx £25-£30 just to install XP usually.

The problem you are going to encounter at the moment is that most PC Vendors will be selling their new PC's with Vista pre installed. You may be better off going somewhere other than the big chain stores such as PC World etc.

In saying that, Vista has certainly started off better than XP when XP was first launched - so we may be in for a pleasant suprise. Microsoft may have learnt their lesson lol.

If you need any further advice - please don't hesitate to ask

Shane

Comment

So that's even more to think about.... this is turning into a nightmare!

Comment

Working...
                    X