Advice from cat owners please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from cat owners please

As you may know we've had our Molly for about 7 months now and love her to bits. This week she's been acting a bit scatty and I put it down to the fact she may have sensed we've got to put her in a cattery this weekend while we're away. The night before last she woke me at 4am and when I followed her downstairs there didn't appear to be any problems but she wanted me there while she ate.

Yesterday evening I found out why she's been acting strange. I went into the kitchen and nextdoor-but-one's cat was in there eating her food - as soon as they saw me they scarpered out of the cat flap but Molly was really upset and it's the first time I've ever seen her hiss.

Is there anything I can do to discourage this cat from coming into our house? We thought about those magnetic cat flaps but Molly bless her doesn't use the flap like 'normal' cats - she pulls the flap towards her and then climbs out rather than push her way out
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

That's not a problem I've ever had to deal with - we never had cat flaps - instead our cat used to ask to go out and then used the letterbox as a door knocker - by lifting it with her nose and letting go! I was just sat here thinking get a gun and shoot the intruder, but that might not be a popular idea
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

That's the problem with cats unfortunately. We've always had 2 cats but at differing times we have had half the cats in the neighbourhood visiting us at one time or another. We tried lots of things to put them off but there's not much you can do. In the end I treat it as a compliment, our place must be so welcoming! (if you are a cat).

Caroline
      silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
      bespoke handmade jewellery
      Silver Jewellery blog
      Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

It is a difficult one - we don't have a cat flap but as I am home most of the day crafting, I have the back door into the garden open for our 2 cats to come and go as they please.

Just once we had a neighbourhood cat come in to try to steal their food but after being chased off my all three of us it hasn't happened again.

I know Molly is probably too old to change her ways but could you not try to 're-train' her into using the cat flap properly? I think if you stop her doing it her way she will eventually decide that the right way is better and easier all round. If she has been getting away with using the flap in her own way, she doesn't know any different. Try enticing her with food to go through properly and if she does it the wrong way, just put her back until she gets the message.

I was going to suggest the magnetic cat flap - have you tried searching for a food bowl with a magnetic opening? I think there are some around which work in the same way - the bowl stays shut until she 'unlocks' it. (Hope I am not sending you on a wild goose chase but I am sure I have seen this somewhere - if I find it, I will let you know in another post!) Don't know if having two magnets (one for flap, one for bowl) will cause a problem but you could probably attach them to her collar at different places.

Unfortunately as cats pretty much have a mind of their own, it may just be something you have to live with - if she has expressed her displeasure at the other cat, he/she may not try again anyway.
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post

I know Molly is probably too old to change her ways but could you not try to 're-train' her into using the cat flap properly? I think if you stop her doing it her way she will eventually decide that the right way is better and easier all round. If she has been getting away with using the flap in her own way, she doesn't know any different. Try enticing her with food to go through properly and if she does it the wrong way, just put her back until she gets the message
          Lord knows we've tried We spend days showing her how it's used, tempting her with her dreamy treats the other side and with all that encouragement she'd jump through...only if we held it slightly open for her mind you. As soon as she was left to her own devices she was back to opening it her way

I do like the idea of those magnetic food bowls and I really hope you haven't just imagined them! If the other cat couldn't get to Molly's food it would hopefully lose interest in coming in - will deffo investigate those next week

Comment

OK - I have been doing some searches and am struggling to find them! However, I have found a doggie version which may be suitable anyway -

Dog Dish with Automatic Sensor Lid

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSN10001

This one is being sold by Target in the US but I am sure I have seen something similar for cats with a fish bone on the front. At least you can see the sort of thing I mean (and sort of shows I didn't dream it!).

They aren't cheap unfortunately but it may be better than a very stressed out little kitty (we spent a fortune when one of our cats pulled chunks of fur out due to stress - vet bills, pheremone plug ins, you name it!) She still has a bald tummy due to excessive licking but is much happier now and seems to like it that way!!

If I find a cat version, I will let you know...
            Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
            @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Found the cat one!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Pet-Fe...241226&sr=8-29

Hope this helps with Molly & her intruder!
              Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
              @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Pet-Fe...241226&sr=8-29

Hope this helps with Molly & her intruder!
                Thank you so much!!!! I think Molly will be getting an early Christmas pressie from us this is perfect

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                  Thank you so much!!!! I think Molly will be getting an early Christmas pressie from us this is perfect
                  I'm pleased I could find this - I was starting to think my imagination was running wild (could have invented it!!)

I would get some for our cats but there would be carnage!! It is bad enough with them not fighting over the timed feeders we use when we are at a fair at weekends.
                  Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
                  @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

They aren't cheap unfortunately but it may be better than a very stressed out little kitty (we spent a fortune when one of our cats pulled chunks of fur out due to stress - vet bills, pheremone plug ins, you name it!) She still has a bald tummy due to excessive licking but is much happier now and seems to like it that way!!

If I find a cat version, I will let you know...
                    Our big tabby, Zag, had stress due to the massive firework celebration they have every year when we lived in Valencia. He got acne!! His chin was covered in massive spots which we had to "pop" and clean every day with hibiscrub. A stressed kitty is not a happy one.

Caroline
                    silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
                    bespoke handmade jewellery
                    Silver Jewellery blog
                    Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Oh that cat pheramone works a treat. I baby sat two cats with our existing two, and the claws were all out. But after a plug in for and hour or two they were like hippys at woodstock.

I know that doesn't fix the issue overall, but could give your kitty a bit of a r&r.

I got mine from the vets but pretty sure its on ebay..something like ferriway or something.
                      my folksy
                      Kryshees Blog
                      www.kryshees.com

Comment

Its Feliway. It plugs into a diffuser thingy and sends the calming influences all over the house, the girls and guys on my Bengal Cat forum swear by the stuff! Selina

Comment

Thats what I used too - our normally laid-back kitties turned almost comatose!! They were sooo chilled out that one of our cats who is an obsessive washer didn't even seem too bothered about licking herself (which is why we bought it in the first place!)

Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep using it all the time so it is a little treat every now and again for them!!

I would definitely recommend it if your cat(s) seem to be getting stressed.
                          Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
                          @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I have a 6 month old kitten, shes called Molly too!

I haven't let her out of the house yet as I was waiting for her to be spayed by the vet, but she had to be atleast 6 months old to have the operation, which she had on Monday. I'm planning on letting her out when shes had her stitches out next week, but I'm a bit worried now that she will be a really big wimp because she will be so used to being indoors! She is already so fussy and likes loads of attention, but then again don't all cats?

I will probably have the same problem as you with neighbours cats coming in the cat flap as there are lots of cats around here.

Hope that magnetic bowl works for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X