Dr Pepper Texas Chocolate Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Pepper Texas Chocolate Cake

This is the darkest, the most heavenly cake you have ever or will ever taste...I kid you not. You'll need a USA measuring cup set, ehich you can get in most supermarkets. Got mine in Asda £2.49.

Ingredients
    Cake
    2 cups sifted plain flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup dark brown sugar, packed tight into measuring cup.
    1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 cup Dr Pepper or coke
    1/2 cup plain chocolate chips
    2 large eggs
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Frosting
    3/4 cup Trex, chilled
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 cup Dr Pepper or coke
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Instructions
    Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour and line two 8-inch round cake tins, tapping out any extra flour. Sift together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa and baking soda into a bowl and set aside. Pour the Dr Pepper into a saucepan and add the chocolate chips. Heat on low, stirring often, until the chips are just melted. Pull off the heat and set aside.

Combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a mixer bowl and mix on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the Dr Pepper-chocolate mixture and continue beating until combined, about 1 minute.

With mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more. Divide the batter between the 2 tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the layers in the tins for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and flip the pans over onto a cooling rack. Gently lift off the pans and let the cake layers cool completely.

To make frosting, beat Trex and butter in a mixer bowl until soft and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa, and continue mixing until combined. Stir together the Dr Pepper and vanilla and very slowly pour it into the frosting, beating with the mixer on high speed to thin it a bit. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.

Set first layer, top down, on a flat plate. Spread 1 cup of the frosting on top. Top with the second cake layer and spread the rest of the frosting on the top and sides of the cake, making attractive swirls.
    Yield: 12 servings.

Enjoy!!!

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Omg...

I can feel my thighs getting bigger just reading the recipe. Got a feeling my filings will need to be redone - but mmmmmmmnnnnnnn.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

It's Rich...

...but not overly sweet. And it's very moist. Serve with pouring cream which helps tone it down some. It makes a great birthday cake too, especially for adults.

Jules
      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Does adding the cream also tone down the calories? Sounds lovely, I am craving chocolate at the moment and have none, darn it!!!
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Of Course....

....adding fresh cream to anything tones down calories. It's a very special chemical reaction.......

It's why I love icecream.......!!

I was going to do the pavlova, but I think I'll buy buttermilk and make the chocolate cake instead. Hope the locusts at Sainsbury's have left me some cream......!

Jules
          Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

buttermilk

Does anyone know of anything you can substitute for buttermilk in this recipe?

Thanks!
            my website: www.bettysbakes.co.uk

Comment

Yum! Yum!
              You can also get the USA cups from Lakeland. re buttermilk sub, could you use creme fraiche?

Comment

Originally posted by Betty View Post
                Does anyone know of anything you can substitute for buttermilk in this recipe?

Thanks!

butter milk is sour milk you can buy it from tesco or make your own http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttermilk#Substitutes its simple enough and works fine I offten make american cakes
                My hats can be seen in my album

Comment

In our family my chocolate cake is fought over!!!!!! It is a very simple recipe but nobody else can make cakes in this family so anything I do gets raved over!!!!!!! Your recipe sounds SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!! I have copied it, I have saved it, and I have printed it ready for when my son (who won't eat any cake but my choccy cake) and his gang come over. I can't wait to try it!!!! When they try it I will get back to you with scores out of ten!!!! Sue xx ( If me and Bob don't eat it before they arrive) he he!!
                  http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

mmmmmm that sounds gorgeously scrummy. In fact, my tummy has just rumbled so loudly someone just looked up fro their desk to see what it was
                    Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                    Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                    www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

My ex next door neighbour used to make a chocolate cake that she called 'Blue Peter cake', surprisingly she got the recipe off Blue Peter! The only thing I remember about it, apart from it was fabulous was that you used a jar of mayonaise in it instead of eggs and butter. Anyone else ever heard of it or better still got the recipe? Selina

Comment

Oh thanks I'll check that out re buttermilk - I've heard of it before but never really knew what it was.

I'm not sure about mayo in cakes! That just sounds a bit too weird for me!!
                        my website: www.bettysbakes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X