D-I-Y craftwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-I-Y craftwork

It seems that for a while at least all craftwork is going to be put on hold while I do some DIY

Not quite so delicate as using a needle and thread, but plumbing in a washing machine will, I'm sure, be more useful!

As I couldn't wait to get a steam stripper, I started pulling bits of wallpaper off the bedroom wall, quite a discovery, Chris posted the results on our fun blog; The Great Wallpaper Rip-Off

Next week I've got to get some floor paint, wall paint and anything-else-that-needs-painting paint. Though I do hope to go arty with the landing and stairs. After plain painting I hope to do some decorative patterns, a sort of faux carpet effect!

Then finally after all the decorating I hope to be able to carpet my new 'arts & crafts' room and settle down to something a little less tiring!

Shana
    Twilight Sewn - A new dimension in craftwork

Hee hee hee - another blog to put in my bookmarks!!! I love the selection of wallpaper - have fun taking the rest of it off!
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Threads....

......stick like glue to carpets.

If you're sewing in your craft room, stick to laminate or floorboards. I put down a beautiful carpet in my workroom that used to be part of the biggest kelim your ever saw. It looks great, it's warm, it's got bags of vintage style.....

....And it attracts threads and bits of frayed fabric like black trousers attract cat hair. Even our dyson hates trying to get the bits off it. I've taken to crawling around on my hands & knees attacking the carpet with a stiff bristle brush before I can vacuum. It's truly knackering.....if I could move the furniture that's sitting on it, I'd rip it up.

Jules
      Apple Tree Crafts
      www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Nice wallpaper, can't think why you would want to change it....
        So are you pleased with the new home?
        http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re-thinking carpet strategy now, might just decoratively paint the floor, it has got nice (albeit squeaky!) floorboards.

I'm actually rather keen on the large pink flowery wallpaper! It's quite fascinating thinking about the people who lived there before, their tastes, you can almost hear echoes down through the years.

It is a lovely home, still getting used to the peace and quiet. I described it as similar to moving from Piccadilly Circus to the Cotswolds! Our last place was a one bedroom flat, this place is twice as big, an awful lot of decorating. And we have stairs to deal with as well, it's a maisonette! I thought with having to go upstairs to the loo would be a little bit more exercise, but I'm going only half as much as I used to

We'll be updating The Frumplingtons blog with our exploits as we continue with our decorating, we think it's only fair that you all share the fun!

Shana

Comment

Great blog - I can totally sympathise with you. There is nothing worse than talking layer after layer of old paper off (except maybe to find that some of those layers of wall paper have also been painted over aaarrggghhh).

I remember we were taking of layer after layer and we eventually got to the last layer which was a lovely purple/red velous wallpaper. I thought the walls were going to collapse as all the layers of paper and paint were so thick.

It will all be worth the hard work when it's finished though.

Lisa
            Bowed Over
            Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Let's Not Talk About.....

...woodchip covered in layer upon layer of gloss paint. Or anaglypta....how I loathe that stuff...peeling it off took months, even with a hired wallpaper stripper.

Salmon pink woodchip.......ugghhhh! Still have the odd nightmare, but my decorating therapist at Laura Ashley assures me I'm over the worst.....

Jules
              Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Some of our paper is anaglypta, heavily coated with gunk, sorry paint!

And what's worse is that in the lounge, someone has added decorative panels in a green & pink wallpaper with edging round the panels, it's truly gross

I'll have to take some more pictures later, it's fun keeping a record of progress!

Shana

Comment

Wallpaper Samples

Last year I was given loads (100's) of fabric & wallpaper sample books, of varying sizes.

My workroom still has the horsey theme leftover from the daughter. I'm loathe to peel it off, as the border came from the US and is very deep, with pastel drawings of horses in sepia colours. But it isn't me. I thought about using all the wallpaper sample books I have and doing a patchwork effect to halfway up the walls or just on one or two whole walls.

The books are from William Morris, Zoffany, Liberty's, Voyage, Designer's Guild, Vanessa Arbuthnott, Anna French etc etc etc, so I'd have loads to chose from and can pick out pieces that will all match or compliment each other. I could even stick the fabric pieces on the wall....

No idea when I'll have time to do this grand scheme.....

Jules
                  Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Working...
                  X