Anyone Know About Tenancy Laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know About Tenancy Laws?

My oldest boy is a Chemistry student at York.

He was sharing a private house with four other students. He's the only one paying for his own education with massive student loans - the others live off the bank of Mum & Dad.

As he was first in the house last summer, he set up all the household bills (gas, electric, phone etc) in his name. The other students agreed that the bills would be split 5 ways and they would pay their fair share. After several bills arrived, my boy paid them all, then went looking for his reimbursement from the others. Nothing doing.

Anyway, after a huge row involving the police, the others picked up my son and physically threw him out of the house. They have threatened him (but he's no legal proof of this) and intimidated him, and he doesn't feel he can go back, even if they let him in. He had to virtually break into the house to get all his stuff.

Now, his problem is that he has found another house share, but he still has to pay the rent for the first place to. It's in the contract. Unless he can replace himself with someone else who wants his room. He's found a few people, but no one wants to live in that house with those four students. And those who fancied the room, left feeling unwelcom by the other tenants.

My son is facing huge debts here and is talking about leaving UNi, which has really upset me. He worked so damn hard to get there. He's been to CAB & Student Welfare, and they are being very unhelpful, as are the estate agents who let the house.

Any suggestions? We need all the help we can get.

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

You could try www.teneric.co.uk its a business forum but people there are very knowledgable.

I think whats happened to your son is appalling.He sounds great, setting up the household arrangements seems very grown up and responsible, sadly its the good guys that usually get poohed on.
    I hope he has taken his name of those bills for the old house.And i hope the tenents get one hell of a shock when it comes to them having to pay the bills.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

In regards to the bills.. You might want to talk to the companies in question..

If he tells say the electricity company he's closing the a/c then there might switch the power off house etc..

Play mean!!!

Order 10 pizza's every night I'll stop now!

oooo ooo 1 more does he know the other students parents ?

heheheehehe

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
      (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Add to that, get a taxi to go to there address every half hour.
        https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Get the students kicked out of uni .. Now that is so easy if your get their email addresses

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

You Guys Have Cheered me up!

It was beginning to hang heavy on the old shoulders....

Ok, the boy has changed all the names on the utility bills as soon as he got a new place to live. I'm told this was not taken very kindly by the house share brats! He still hasn't got back the £600+ owed to him. It's a shame that you have to go through life NOT being nice to others in case you get dumped on....that is just sooo cr*p!

I've spent my afternoon on the phone to the stupid estate agents, making it crystal clear them thst they have a duty of care here - like they listened!

I've also emailed the boy's head of Dept at Uni. I don't think my son has told anyone what a strain he's under, and it is affecting his work, which he loves. He can get some support from these people even if they can't solve his problems!

Thanks all for listening to me rant & rave,

Jules
            Apple Tree Crafts
            www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

What a bunch of a******** ! Tell you what, lets all get together and go in mob-handed and kick their a**** out of there !! Sorry but it makes me so angry. These spoilt brats think they are infallible because their parents treat them that way- giving them the world without the kids having to lift a finger. At least your boy has morals and values, a result of how he has been bought up, but the others, i'm sure, will get their come-uppance one day xx
              Handmade Country Decor & Needful Things

Comment

Working...
              X