No announcement yet.

What have been your crafting disasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have been your crafting disasters?

I don't use a sewing machine, in fact I can't use a sewing machine, no hand to feet co-ordination! So I sew everything by hand.

I recently spent ages making a new design for a doll, it's one of those you sew arms & legs inside out. Painstakingly I tacked, then sewed it together, turned it the right way out, only to find I'd sewn the arms on upside down

After several days just to get that far I couldn't face unpicking it all. It's now at the bottom of a box of 'almost made it' projects, and no doubt they'll be more!

Shana
    Twilight Sewn - A new dimension in craftwork

Far Too Many To Mention....

I have a lot of things that other people think are lovely, but being a perfectionist, they fall far short of my satisfaction. I'm probably being far far too fussy, but not getting something absolutely right the first time round bugs the hell out of me.

Once I've thrown a paddy, and got over it, I'll unpick it and re do it until I'm satisfied with it. I really really hate wasting fabrics.

Cooking is different - plenty of stuff has gone straight from the oven into the bin right beside it. Might taste wonderful, but if it looks none too good, I'll bin it. No patience with myself!

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Most of my pieces are disasters but this is confirmed when I noted the other day that just from 1 supplier out of about 10 I had spent £300 with them and I certainly dont have anywhere near £300 worth of things to sell.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

It's the Same With Fabrics....

I spend loads of money on fabrics. I'll see a colour or a design I think would be perfect for somethingorother, buy it, put it next to the somethingorother and it's not quite as I imagined it, say to myself Oh well, it'll come in handy at a later date, and then buy more......

Or fabric that is just so gorgeous I just have to buy some. No idea what to do with it.

eBay used to be really bad. I'd getting into a bidding war (it's mine you cow, you will not outbid me....) and then when I've won, and I go to pay I can't believe what I'd just done. Got over that now, I'm much better at limiting myself......well, no, that's a lie - I still spend too much, just don't get into daft bidding battles any more. Cheaper to buy from the US most of time. nine times out of ten, I'll see fabric on eBay UK and then search eBay US and find it half the price.

Downside to that is the postage. US sellers use flat rate envelopes, so you can get up to nine yards in some. So, of course, why buy one yard of fabric when I've paid shipping for 9......

Jules
        Last edited by Apple Tree Crafts; 13-03-2007, 10:19 AM. Reason: early morning spelling.....
        Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

I did some quilling outside and the wind kept blowing the pieces away, so spent more time chasing them around the garden than actually doing any quilling. Haven't done that again!
          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

The Birthday was a Craft Disaster.....

Don't ever ever try to make a Devil's food cake.....Oh FFS what a mess! Spreading the marshmallow like frosting is like trying to wrestle in glue. It's so incredibly sticky, it pulls the very delicate sponge cake apart as you're spreading it. Aagghhhhhh!!!!!!

Anyway, made a mess (as I see it ) but the boy loves it...thank heavens!

What a day......I need coffee & valiums & chocolate, not necessarily in that order.....

Jules
            Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

I regually pierce my fingers with head pins, memory wir and other sharp objects.
              I also have attended casualty to have a headpin removed that I'd actually curled around as it entered my poor finger.
              I also once had to travel back to homebase with superglue attaching two of my fingers together with a brooch. Came undone ok once I'd bought the solvent, but it gave everyone a laugh!
              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Artists don't have disasters - just new horizons! If it all goes wrong then invent something with the mess and call it 'creative'................works for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                  Don't ever ever try to make a Devil's food cake.....Oh FFS what a mess! Spreading the marshmallow like frosting is like trying to wrestle in glue. It's so incredibly sticky, it pulls the very delicate sponge cake apart as you're spreading it. Aagghhhhhh!!!!!!

Anyway, made a mess (as I see it ) but the boy loves it...thank heavens!

What a day......I need coffee & valiums & chocolate, not necessarily in that order.....

Jules
                  That's why it's called Devil's food cake, it's a devil to make

Tried it once, never again!

Shana

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
                    Artists don't have disasters - just new horizons! If it all goes wrong then invent something with the mess and call it 'creative'................works for me!
                    Hmm, might have worked, a doll with upside down arms, eyes in the back of her head, clothes on back to front...

Shana

Comment

Working...
                    X