Work experience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work experience!

I'm really excited at the moment. As some of you may know, I'm going through a re-think in terms of my career and have been thinking about training to be a teacher.

Before I throw myself into 4-6 years of study though, I want to make sure it's definitely for me. So, on Monday and Tuesday, I will be spending my days as a work experience student at a local secondary school! I've asked to work shadow in a number of lessons, including PE, English, Art, Textiles and RE. Then, in September, I have arranged another work experience placement at a Primary School.

I'm really looking forward to it. I've got to a point in my own job where I have no interest or enthusiasm for the role, so I'm looking forward to making the change. It won't be for a while, as I need to find out first if I'm making the right move, as well as decided how I'm going to do it in terms of getting qualified and financially.

Does anyone else on the forum currently work or is training to be a teacher? If so, I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Good luck! That's so exciting! I hope you love it.
    "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
    Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
    http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Katianne View Post

Does anyone else on the forum currently work or is training to be a teacher? If so, I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom!
      I'm a primary teacher, but as I'm up in Scotland, the training, curriculum, etc is a bit different than in England. Feel free to ask any questions though, and I'll try to help you out!

Emma.
      Paperbuzz
      Adding a little magic to your celebrations

www.noths.com/paperbuzz

Comment

Hi.
        Have you looked at the OU? You could be gathering points while you ponder. I have just Graduated with a BSc Hons in Psychology and toying with starting something new in November. A friends partner is starting her PG..? in September having Graduated with a BSc Open. Next year she will be splitting her time between school, and colleges in Norwich and Lowestoft. she is also getting paid.
        The main benefit of the OU being you can continue working while studying so not suffer the financial burden of full time study. I was also heading for a career change after twenty years of doing the same thing but ended up starting a company with my husband doing for ourselves what we had been doing for others for so long. I can't recommend it high enough it does great things for the head, especially if not having qualifications from school days. I haven't looked to see if the craft courses, I did a writing one and it was fantastic.

Di.

Comment

good luck, hope by time you end there are plenty jobs. Have a friend who went for a primary job recently, didnt get an interview but got an email saying they had 502 applications for one job!

Comment

Its good to see that you're making progress with your plans! Have you decided against the crafts course for now then?
            http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
            http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
            http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
            email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by KullakitaCards View Post
              I'm a primary teacher, but as I'm up in Scotland, the training, curriculum, etc is a bit different than in England. Feel free to ask any questions though, and I'll try to help you out!

Emma.
              Thanks Emma, I may be PMIng you

Originally posted by Di-Ce Beads View Post
              Hi.
              Have you looked at the OU? Di.
              I haven't looked into this as yet - I have arranged a guidance interview at the end of this month so I will ask more about it then I think. The only thing with OU is that I do really want to go to uni and be part of the whole hands on experience. I don't learn very well on my own, so I'm not sure if it would suit me?

Originally posted by TerriWoah View Post
              Its good to see that you're making progress with your plans! Have you decided against the crafts course for now then?
              No Terri, haven't ruled it out. I need to look in to whether it would gain me entry on to a PGCE, for example if I wanted to teach Art at secondary. I wanted to attend Staffs Uni's last open day but it was during work time and I couldn't get out of my work commitments. I was thinking of arranging a meeting with one of the tutors though?

I did my first day yesterday and spent it in the Art department. I really enjoyed it and got to work with Year 7 - 10 (11 - 15 year olds). Today I am doing PE and English!
              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Katianne View Post

No Terri, haven't ruled it out. I need to look in to whether it would gain me entry on to a PGCE, for example if I wanted to teach Art at secondary. I wanted to attend Staffs Uni's last open day but it was during work time and I couldn't get out of my work commitments. I was thinking of arranging a meeting with one of the tutors though?
                If you havent already got it, here's the course leaders e-mail... [email protected] he's quite good at responding unlike other tutors!
                I hope it gains entry on a PGCE ;s thats what I'm hoping to do after!? I was under the impression that degree's let you proceed onto one regardless of which degree it is (obvs depending on marks etc) I want to go into design and tech teaching! I don't think staffs uni does them though so maybe if you contact Keele they would have more info regarding that. But like I said I always just assumed a degree would lead onto a PGCE if you wanted to take that route.

Comment

Originally posted by TerriWoah View Post
                  If you havent already got it, here's the course leaders e-mail... [email protected] he's quite good at responding unlike other tutors!
                  I hope it gains entry on a PGCE ;s thats what I'm hoping to do after!? I was under the impression that degree's let you proceed onto one regardless of which degree it is (obvs depending on marks etc) I want to go into design and tech teaching!
                  Thanks Terri - I have emailed him but he is away on his hols at the moment, so will await his response on his return.

Re: your degree, to teach in a secondary school you need to study the subject (or one closely related) at degree level. I haven't ever looked in to 3D Crafts before as it's the first time I've come across it. Looks really interesting!

Out of all the subjects I've covered in my work experience over the last 2 days, Art was definitely my favourite! I'm still not ruling out Primary. Another thought is FE or HE teaching? Gosh, where to start eh!?
                  Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

oh right, was that an auto reponse you got? i can give you the other course tutors email, Rajesh.. he's a pro silver smith, im not sure if he's co-course leader or not though. he was there when i had my interview.
                    yeah it is a really interesting course, i would think that if its a BA hons you'd be able to do any art related teaching really. If by FE or HE you mean lecture in colleges and stuff i dont think you need more than a degree to do that, a friend on the crafts course did a degree in illustration when she was in her youth (shes 40ish now) and she went on to tutoring at college for a bit.

Comment

Yeah it was an auto response - the response gave me another email address so I have sent my email to that address too. Thanks Terri - I'll let you know what happens!
                      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

If you wanted to teach at college or in adult education, you wouldn't necessarily need a degree - I think you can teach with just a level 3 qualification (e.g. equivalent to A-levels) and then follow this up with a PGCE in Further and Adult Education - but you can be in paid work while doing this. Have a look on some local colleges' websites for vacancies as this may be of help in indicating what they require.

If you need any other help just give me a shout as I've been working at a university for 5 years!

Visit my blog!
                        http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
                        www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyCrafts View Post
                          If you wanted to teach at college or in adult education, you wouldn't necessarily need a degree - I think you can teach with just a level 3 qualification (e.g. equivalent to A-levels) and then follow this up with a PGCE in Further and Adult Education - but you can be in paid work while doing this. Have a look on some local colleges' websites for vacancies as this may be of help in indicating what they require.

If you need any other help just give me a shout as I've been working at a university for 5 years!
                          Thanks! Wouldn't I need to have quite a lot of experience / quals in the subject I wanted to teach though? For example, at the moment I am thinking of teaching Art, but I only have A Level Art and I got that 9 years ago?
                          Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

your post has made me suddenly rethink my life too! Have just gone back to being a financial adviser after 12 months off on maternity leave. Have been back 3 months and am positively hating it! When I saw your post I thought actually I would love to do that. Has been going around in my brain for a little while and I today contacted the TDA and asked them to send me a pack out. Think I would want to consider primary only as never really had spe******t subject. Its something I always thought I should have done but for one reason or another went the other route. Its obviously that I need to try out a couple of days at least in a school and then have a really good think. Too late for this year now but maybe Sept 2010. Have degree so I understand I only need to do a year course and you can train whilst spending practical time in a school as an assistant.
                            Thanks Katianne for waking me up to a possibility!
                            www.safimelcardsandpendants.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X