It's my time to change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's my time to change...

I have been thinking about this for a long long time and think I've finally decided to make the break.

I currently work full time in a job I've done for the last 7 years, for which I qualified for on the job. I used to love my job but for the past few years I just haven't got the enjoyment out of it that I used to. I had a number of personal issues about 6 months ago,which I thought were affecting my job satisfaction and enjoyment, but now I've come through that and I'm still feeling the same, I think I need to admit that things have to change.

Some of you will have seen my thread on becoming a mature student. That's still something that interests me, and I'm currently looking in to the different ways of studying and the financial implications. I think that realistically I would need to study part time and work, in order to pay the bills.

My main problem is that I'm not really sure what I want to do. I've done various online questionnaires that have come up with suggestions and I've got some courses I've identified, but I'm still very uncertain.

One of the uni's I'm interested in has an open day coming up but it's during work hours and I can't get out of work on that day. I've requested to arrange a seperate visit and hope to find out more about the course and speak to someone re: careers guidance and finance.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting all this,I think I just feel that I need to get it all out. I feel I've come to a bit of a dead end with my job and seeing as I spend most of my time there I have to make a change.

I would appreciate to hear about anyone else's experiences, if you have gone through a similar thing in the past or at present?

People who know what I do may think it's strange that I am struggling so much with these decisions...hehehhe!!!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

I think there are times in our lives when we reach a crossroads and we instinctively know we have to change things but, because of various reasons, are scared to do so. In my opinion if you have a dream then you have to follow it otherwise you could end up regretting not doing it.

When I was 21 (many years ago, lol) I had a succesful hair salon in a gym, earned a lot of money and had everything that anyone of that age could want. One of my customers said that they were crying out for hairdressers in Hong kong, where her friend lived, and I really wanted to go. So without thinking I packed up the salon and was on a plane within a month. People, including my parents, thought I was mad and tried to talk me out of it but I was determined.

The year I spent in Hong kong was one of the best ever and I have never, for one second, regretted going there; I knew I was in a rut in the UK and had to change things.

My advice, for what it is worth, is that if you want to go back to study and need to work part time then go for it. You'll only regret it if you don't.

Caroline
    silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
    bespoke handmade jewellery
    Silver Jewellery blog
    Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

I keep contemplating going into teaching... I haven't taken the plunge yet as I feel quite settled in my home life and then consider how much extra work it'll involve once qualified - husbands a teacher and I don't really want us both to be sat at home marking instead of being able to chat about othere stuff. I suppose I'm waiting for something to get me motivated - but I also know my job is very varied and I don't get that extra stress I'd have as a teacher so haven't done anything about it.

Good luck with the change if all goes ahead!
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Yes, I've gone through similar times, and have had several changes of direction in my working life. Some changes were gradual, like moving towards full time self employment, which I finally acheived in 2000.

I think, when you're not happy with what you're doing, you reach a stage where you realise you just can't do it anymore, and you have to change something.
        Celia
        I can't be creative and tidy too
        www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
        The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
        Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Same here! I didn't have much direction at school and although got good grades, school's onlyu encouraged curriculum subjects at A-Level. Went to Uni and got a degree in Computer Science, but could I get a job!!

So ended up working as an HR assistant, left that to have my daughter and now working as a clerical assistant.

Am getting fed up with keeping on starting at the bottom of the ladder and turning 30 soon, so decided I need to know what I want to do. Since I left HR, I've missed it more and more, and so am going to train for my CIPD and hopefully it'll be the career for me.

There is nothing more frustrating than not knowing what you want to do in life - how is anyone supposed to know what they want to do, when you can't possible know about all the jobs in the world!!

I hope your chat at the Uni goes well and you can find something you love

Comment

I'm only 23 but I had a few years out from studying and worked since I was 17, went to uni this year and I must say its the best thing I've done, when I was working I was pretty depressed and having a really crappy time, waking up at 5.30am to go to a job I hated!
            So in the end I just thought '**** it!' you work for what?! almost 50 years!! So why rush what you want to do but why do something you hate! So now I do 3D design at staffs uni (the course you were thinking of doing :])
            As far as the money side is concerned I think once you start the ball rolling with 'student debt' it kind of doesnt matter how deep you get in..... If you borrow say £9000 which would cover your course fee's you'll be getting interest on that from the start, you only pay back 7% of your income towards it, so when you do start to pay it back you're probably only going to be paying the interest, and at the end of the day you either stop after 25yrs, when you turn 60 (i think) or some other time(that i cant remember right now).... just to finish my degree i'll be leaving with 24grands worth of debt!!!!!! makes me a little bit sad thinking about it but my current life style is making me happy and i think that is more valueble than any amount of money!
            I probably didnt word any of that last paragraph correctly but im sure someone might pick up my drift with it?!
            http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
            http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
            http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
            email: [email protected]

Comment

I always say follow your dream, you will regret it later if you do not. I was in a job I loved, initially, qualified to do it etc but we moved offices as my old boos was diagnosed with Parkinsons and retired, he was lovely left you to get on with it but was there when you needed. Never had any problems or complaints about my work. The new boss was more hands on, which is fine but the office manager (on the same level as me) felt that he could do my job better and that I was surplus to requirements, the fact that he had never done legal accounts in his life let alone be qualified did not seem to matter, he and this other boss were really tight, after 18 months of constant bullying I packed it in and now work for myself full time. It is hard particularly atm and no guaranteed income but I am the happiest I have ever been, more energy etc and love every day.

Go for it and good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
              X