No announcement yet.

Just a quick question, Does any one....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a quick question, Does any one....

Home school?
    We have started to think about the next step for our oldest and I am not sure if senior school is the right thing for him.
    At the moment he is in yr 5 and according to the school he is 2yrs behind in his learning.

We have been looking at other options...private school, well if I won the lottery maybe. Home schooling has caught my attention, so I was wondering if anyone has been home schooled or is home schooling.

I would love to hear from you.

Ann

Hi

I feel that the education system has let down this generation of kids. I have a yr 5 daughter and feel she could be doing alot better, but also feel that home schooling would mean she would miss out on real life experiences.

She now goes to a tutor after school once a week and this has encouraged her to take a bit of responsibility for her own learning and she puts more effort in.

Home schooling may be good for education in academic subjects, but I do feel that it alienates the child in society and learning social skills.

Good luck with your son in whatever you decide.
    Rach

Facebook
    Website
    Blog
    Folksy

Comment

I dont know much about home schooling but what I can say is that it is becoming increasingly popular amongst my daughter's friends. She is in year 5 too. Despite our children being in the "best school in the area" we have seen a decline in the last two years in their education. My daughter has always been one of the lucky ones and eager to learn and ahead of herself, but since year 4 the teachers have got worse and the children have suffered for it. I have noticed my daughter isnt as enthusiastic as she was, saying, why bother, the work doesn't get marked! or the teacher doesn't listen.

I along with other parents have been in to the various teachers but we are told there are no problems and that our children's work is marked and our children are doing ok. OK isnt good enough!!!!

I know of at least 3 children whose parents are seriously considering home schooling for various reasons. They are weighing up the pros and cons at the moment and I will let you know if I hear any more.

Sorry I can't help more but I have to say I think teaching standards are on the decline so as a result I think home schooling will be on the increase.
      Diane
      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Hi Ann
        I think there are times where home schooling is the best option - but on the whole I think that actually going to school benefits children - even just from the viewpoint of social interaction/relationships and getting up and going out of the house in the morning (prepares them for work and responsibilities etc..)
        Is extra tuition at home a possibility?
        Suzy
        x

Comment

Originally posted by GlamGlass View Post

Home schooling may be good for education in academic subjects, but I do feel that it alienates the child in society and learning social skills.
          I used to do home visits in my last job to home schooled kids and I'd be inclined to agree 9 times out of 10. There were various reasons why they were home schooled including bullying, school phobic and academic reasons (one of the catchment school's is in the bottom 3 in the county for GCSEs) but nearly all seemed very mature for their ages presumably because they spent more time with adults than children - not sure if that's such a great thing tbh as I think some struggled to interact with their peers at such a crucial stage in their development. If it helps, the ones who seem more 'rounded' were those who were involved in lots of other activities such a guides, sport, music etc where they got to mix with kids their age too.

Sorry, can't help with the procedures and regulations of home schooling as I was only advising them on post 16 options but thought I'd throw in my tuppence anyway
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

hi i will be homeschooling both of of mine, and we already go to at least one group a week where they interact with kids of there own and older ages, i have also met people in my local area that will be homeschooling and we are setting up at least one met a week with our small group of friends, there are also many groups as said above i really dont feel the social aspect to be a problem,Ann if you would like any links etc please feel free to pm me xxxx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

There are lots of organisations that support Home educated children and parents.
              I considdered it when my son was 7 as the school were totally unsipportive. Luckily at that time, we moved back to |yorkshire and Joe was a ble to integrate into the school and the full extent of his problems were discovered and supported.
              With home learning, there is a need to be organised and it's really important that they get to mix with kids thier own age, both in learning environments and in socail situations. Home educted support groups are great for this and pair up families and teaching abilities as well so that some lessons can be shared.
              I'd personally mbe more inclined to home teach whilst in primary that in secondry education.
              CGP and other education material providers produce some amazing teaching guides and study revision materials etc.
              To an extent, thinking about it, our middle son is partially home taught as he's a really high achiever and we don't feel the school push him enough and so set lots of stuff for him at home in the evenings and during the holidays we've always done this with him and he responds well to it.
              At the end of the day, you need to think about what is needed to be provided and whether you are able to do it either financially, life sacrife or emotionally. I don't envy the position you are in.
              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hi Ann,

I worked for the Educational Welfare Service once and came into contact with a mum who had home-schooled her oldest and was in trouble wth Social Services because of the poor attendance of her youngest. We talked about the issue of social interaction and came up with a solution that worked for her which was part-time home schooling.

I can't remember all the details of it now but I do remember that it depends on the school - so it's down to good negotiation as to which 'in-school' classes your chaild would attend and which part of the curriculum you would be teaching...I think at secondary level you might consider the facilities for Chemistry and such as being better in school.

I'd advise you get in touch with your LEA and do some research and you should be able to find out everything you need.

Good Luck

Jude
                for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
                plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
                Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

My experience has been:
                  a best friend's daughter was failing at school inspite of trying really hard. She was diagnosed as dyslexic put in a private school, given lots of 'attention' (it wasn't emotional attenition, it was patience that encouraged her not to give up and put in twice as much work as anyone else) and she grew up to be a happy well balanced - geography teacher.
                  Another friend's son was diagnosed as the worst dyslexic the county had ever seen. He stayed in his local schools, was given one to one support and things like tape recorders (there was nothing wrong with his gift of the gab). He passed exams and got a job and is a great guy.
                  Then at Kentwell (3 week historical reenactment during the school term) I meet a lot of Home Educated children as parents rightly think total immersion is a great way of learning/understanding/absorbing history.
                  The reasons for pulling them out of the system varies but there is a heavy weighting of having been bullied and a several very dyslexic with the parent feeling the school was not doing enough to help.
                  The infant aged children can lack the social nouce of how to interact with children of their own age. By the time they are junior age they have sorted themselves out. By the age of 10 we heap responsiblity on these kids and they react very maturely. They either do the jobs they are asked or go to a grown up for help. As teenagers they sometimes opt for slotting back into the school system. Some do really well and pass all their exams with flying colours (they are the ones who had the emotional problems), some do a few exams (the dyslexics) and feel chuffed, some miss this bit out altogether and get into university on the strength of the practical work they have done. With the support they receive from the Kentwell participants it is usually along the lines of having made a series of solidly researched historical costumes or helping to build a barn.
                  So it seems that different paths suit different children. A crucial bit to them succeeding seems to be strong caring parents with a community (of whatever kind) to support them....and their child.

AnnieAnna

Comment

Thank you all for your input, I am looking in to Home schooling and discovering all sorts of support groups and useful websites with pro's and con's and how to cover and support the child.

We still have a year to work things out and discover what works best for my son. He really likes doing practical things so as AnnieAnna talked about children building a barn or creating a whole costume would be right up his street although airplanes are more his thing.

Comment

Good luck with your decision! It is a very hard one! For various reasons, I homeschooled my son through the last two years up to GCSE. He didn't become any more motivated and ended up not taking any GCSEs, but he did avoid all that teenage peer pressure and has been a very pleasant teenager! He didn't sit any GCSEs because the college course he wanted to do didn't require them I can't complain - he is doing very well at what he wants to do! I also worried about the social aspect, but as you have seen , there are some brilliant groups out there - the key is being motivated to get out and join them! My son continued to have private drum lessons and was also part of the local rugby club with it's associated tours and events. He also did a couple of hours a week voluntary work in a local day nursery. Be imaginative and play to your child's strengths! xx

Edited to add: I also have two littlies - 4 & 6. They go to the primary school which is opposite our house so would be a shame not to use it! But I wouldn't hesitate to take them out, either for a term, or permanently, if I thought they were not happy and making progress at their own rates.
                      Last edited by Recycled Bag Lady; 28-05-2009, 12:44 AM.
                      Cathy xx
                      http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
                      http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
                      http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
                      I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

i just wanted to post the link to this yahoo group for all HE hope its ok

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/badmanreviewactiongroup/

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

Hi Ann
                          We went down the private school route (with help from my in-laws) for our son. He is statemented, so a lengthy fight with the LEA later they now pay for him to stay there. I still can't believe the difference in him. Private school just seem to give so much more. I suppose with only 8 children in the classroom they can allow for individuality and teach in the manner that that child can understand. They also do PE every day, but different activities. He has to sign in to the restaurant each lunchtime so while there does actually have lunch.
                          My friend did part home teach her son, I don't know if it is just at high school age but one can request flexi time. She is a statistician and her son was mainly having problems with maths so she took over his maths lessons and did those at home. I believe there is a network for those home teaching.
                          Hope you sort it soon.
                          Di.

Comment

My son was struggling at school from 12 to 14 when he was being bullied - he was very shy. He is also partly deaf and some of the teachers were not very helpful at all, he would often not be able to hear the teacher, didn't want to draw attention to himself by asking questions and so gave up. He missed over 1/3 of school over the last year due to headaches, tummy upsets and just refusing to go. He was also depressed. Most of the days he went it was partway through the morning and it came to a head when I took him in at 11am on my way out shopping and when I got home he had walked 5 miles home rather than stay there. In the end we were told we either had to take him out of school and home-school him or face being taken to court. So he left school at 14. His depression lifted, he had no more migraines or tummy upsets and he was happy.
                            Because of his hearing problems he was given a home teacher for 1 hour every day and he took GCSE english, maths and a NVQ exam.
                            When he was 17 he went to agricultural college one day a week and did a city and guilds course which he passed. He is now 20 and is working as a farm contractor.
                            He did miss out on the social side of school and has very few friends and few opportunities to make new friends but he is much more confident now and is a very well adjusted young man.
                            Be prepared for a lot of opposition, criticism and negative comments from family and friends if you decide to take them out of school. But at the end of the day you have to do the best for your child no matter what. I am glad my DS left when he did as I don't think it would have worked leaving him in a school he hated.

Melanie

Comment

Working...
                            X