Part time work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part time work

Im kinda worried that im not going to be able to make anything for the fairs i have coming up, now that i work full time. Its only been 2 days i know but im so tired! And im trying to fit everything in but i just dont have the head space!! Im already getting sick of being fizzled out by the end of the day and being chained to a desk!!

Most of my good stock has gone to a shop and my website is quite bare. I have at least 2 fairs in the next 2 months, one quite big one and i want to make more proper worked pieces like iv started to make before i started work.

I miss having my days for making things

I want to try and work out if i can work part time. Before i started work i was on job seekers allowance and my parents help with the rent. I cant ask them to pay any more rent for me! If i work part time and earn about £600 a month, that would cover my rent and bills and very basic food stuff.

Is there any help given to people who work part time? Council tax help?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

There might be, I used to work in Housing benefits many years ago, so I'm a bit rusty. It worked on a sliding scale, and if you qualified for council tax benefit you would probably get some help with rent too. But they would also take into account any other income, such as from your sales. A Citizens Advice Bureau would have all the info, and could probably work out for you if you'd get any help.

Celia
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

You might be entitled to some help, but if you go part-time voluntarily, you may have to wait a few months before you are entitled to anything, as they could see it as a choice move - although not sure on this, so would check it out!

Comment

I agree with both the above posts . . but I would go straight to Housing Benefit at your local council and ask them directly rather than go to CAB first . . they should also be able to talk to you about Council Tax Benefit.

Housing Benefit is known as a "Gateway" benefit, because if you qualify for HB then you would also typically qualify for other benefits too . . the amounts are obviously means tested and based on your income, savings, etc.

It would also be very worth while contacting Job Centre PLus or whatever it's called now . . they should be able to give fairly specific advice on what benefits and tax credits you might be eligible for.

Hope that helps
        Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
        Etsy Shop
        Artfire Shop
        dichro-findings blog

Comment

I am sorry i really don't know this either, but I would love more time to work on my bags! I work alot of unusual hours and even if I do a day shift I think I might be able to work on things at night, but it just doesn't happen, cleaning, cooking etc take over! I always think I will do it after the chores, but then i'm so tired!

£600 a month? Good luck, Coz i only earn slightly more and I struggle

Let me know how the part time thing works, I have heard there's so much you can earn but then you can get help with housing n stuff. but i think you would be on bare minimum.

Dee x
          Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
          Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
          Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Im going to look into this over the next couple of days.

Dee, i get you! I plan to spend the night doing things but i just want to crash on the sofa with my cats and watch Buffy! Im not used to spending all day in front of a screen. My eyes hurt and my brain is mush. Its not natural!!
            Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post

Dee, i get you! I plan to spend the night doing things but i just want to crash on the sofa with my cats and watch Buffy! Im not used to spending all day in front of a screen. My eyes hurt and my brain is mush. Its not natural!!
              No, it's not natural! But it does pay the bills... good luck with whatever you decide to do!
              "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
              Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
              http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

pretty sure you cant get any ctax discounts if yuo work part time. Its your choice, and even if it wasnt your choice no discounts as you are working. If yuo are by yourself you'd get a single person discount or a student even better. But choosing to work part time nothing, if that was the case we'd all do it.

Comment

I had a look, you can get some money towards council tax if you are a low earner.

Comment

You could also see if you'd be eligible for working tax credits?
                    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Ha ha! No it's not, saying that though, I end up spending my evenings watchin t.v sceen or on this computer!!!!So brain is always mush...!!
                      Dee x
                      Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
                      Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
                      Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

I had a look, you can get some money towards council tax if you are a low earner.
                        yeah but if you are a low earner becasue yuo have chosen to work part time it wouldnt count. Low earners are people who work full time at low rates, not folk who want to work part time and choose to earn a lower than average rate.

Comment

If you switch to part time work, would you still be able to afford jewellery materials?
                          I'm in this position, I work part time (less than £600 p/m) and the majority of my money goes on rent, bills etc.
                          It's not much fun having all the hours in the day, but not having the materials to make anything....hence me being on here so much! lol

At least with full time wages you'd have the funds, and I reckon you only feel frazzled now because you're not used to the hours/routine yet.
                          My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
                          Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

I would be choosing to work part time at a 'normal' job while working on my business. So its not like im saying i want to work part time and then spend hte rest of my time messing about with my hobby. Anyway, it wont be part time but only one day a week less than normal.

Iv worked out my finances. I could afford it for a while and see how it goes. I think i could be doing much better in my business if i had the oppertunity. I have a few potential things happening but they have ot be put off due to lack of time.

Comment

Originally posted by spagbog View Post
                              yeah but if you are a low earner becasue yuo have chosen to work part time it wouldnt count. Low earners are people who work full time at low rates, not folk who want to work part time and choose to earn a lower than average rate.
                              Anyway, why am i justifying to you why i want to do this!?

Comment

Working...
                              X