Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - Swine Flu!!!!

Ok, I dont have it but...

We're supposed to be going to Crete for a week, at the end of next week....and a friend from work is supposed to be going to Mexico around the same time.

Does anyone know where we stand ito a refund, if we cant go due to the swine flu pandemic?

In laws are coming over from Hong Kong to go to Crete with us, (and pick up the bill, tehe) if that makes a difference.

Is there a difference between the FCO advising against all travel or all but essential travel to Crete/Mexico, as lets face it, its not essential!

Who would be responsible for the reimbursment, travel agent or insurance company?

On that note, we've not got our insurance yet (were going to sort it out this week, annual cover so dont waste any!) - atm the cheapest companies we've heard of that have good reviews of when things went wrong as Direct Line and Halifax - is there anyone else we should consider in this situation?

We had a look at the Direct line site, and thomas cook (who we booked the holiday through) to see where we stand if FCO advises against travel but it wasnt very clear, and the FCO office isnt being updated regularly (apparently the swine flu hasnt got to spain yet!).

Has anyone got any thoughts/advise?
    Please visit my website - forum members discount details on offers thread!
    http://www.silverjewellerydesigns.com/

On the news this morning all flights to Mexico have been cancelled with customers being given the choice of a refund or an alternate holiday.

So far I don't think Europe is affected but keep an eye on the news in case it spreads in that direction
    I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

Comment

Originally posted by SJD View Post
      Ok, I dont have it but...

We're supposed to be going to Crete for a week, at the end of next week....and a friend from work is supposed to be going to Mexico around the same time.

Does anyone know where we stand ito a refund, if we cant go due to the swine flu pandemic?

In laws are coming over from Hong Kong to go to Crete with us, (and pick up the bill, tehe) if that makes a difference.

Is there a difference between the FCO advising against all travel or all but essential travel to Crete/Mexico, as lets face it, its not essential!

Who would be responsible for the reimbursment, travel agent or insurance company?

On that note, we've not got our insurance yet (were going to sort it out this week, annual cover so dont waste any!) - atm the cheapest companies we've heard of that have good reviews of when things went wrong as Direct Line and Halifax - is there anyone else we should consider in this situation?

We had a look at the Direct line site, and thomas cook (who we booked the holiday through) to see where we stand if FCO advises against travel but it wasnt very clear, and the FCO office isnt being updated regularly (apparently the swine flu hasnt got to spain yet!).

Has anyone got any thoughts/advise?
      Why not check with your insurance company?
      Some events ie "acts of God" are not covered anyway.

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by Alice21 View Post
        On the news this morning all flights to Mexico have been cancelled with customers being given the choice of a refund or an alternate holiday.

So far I don't think Europe is affected but keep an eye on the news in case it spreads in that direction
        There have already been two cases in the UK and several in Europe.

You need to check with the Foreign Office to see what the advisories on travel are . . if they say no travel to Mexico then the Hol company should refund you or offer something equivalent . . but bear in mind that there have been quite a few cases in the US and Mexico is close to the Caribbean! The FO will also be able to tell you about Crete.

This is the link to FO travel advisories web page: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...ce-by-country/

Hope all is OK and you get your Hols!
        Last edited by dichrofindings; 28-04-2009, 10:10 AM.
        Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
        Etsy Shop
        Artfire Shop
        dichro-findings blog

Comment

The tele said the airline (or insurers) would refund your money if you cancelled your flight to Mexico because our govenment has given out the advice of don't go to Mexico. This doesn't apply to any other country (until our government officially says don't go there). That's what should happen.
          However it's all come as a bit of a sudden shock to everybody and the airlines are meeting at the moment to work out what to do......so I'd hang back a bit until they come to a decision.

Also - they don't know why there were so many deaths in Mexico. It has been suggested that Mexico City has a huge population (it was the biggest city in the world) and maybe proportionally there weren't any more deaths than you would get with ordinary flu, or the poor don't have medical insurance and maybe it's them that's dying, or that the virus has mutated into something more benign.

AnnieAnna (with half a brain saying get a grip and the other half rerunning zombie movies)

Comment

This is a link to the HPA (Health Protection Agency) website page on Swine Flu . . as you will see from reading it the first cases in humans were reported in Texas and California and there have since been reports from Mexico, Spain and the UK . . there is also a link to the most recent travel update at the bottom of the editorial:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&Pa...=1240732817665
            Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
            Etsy Shop
            Artfire Shop
            dichro-findings blog

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
              AnnieAnna (with half a brain saying get a grip and the other half rerunning zombie movies)
              LOL I'm with you on that one, I've just finished watching Survivors that was on telly a while ago & it all feels a bit familiar - eeek! And we watched 28 weeks later on the weekend - ooh now that's a nasty film.

On a more serious note, I'd think you're ok to go to Crete at the moment & probably won't be covered by insurance until we're told not to travel. The number of deaths at the moment are relatively small and I think everyone's being precautious, but the chances of contracting it at the moment have still got to be millions to one IMO
              "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
              Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
              Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Well I would imagine that half the deaths in Mexico were amongst the very poor and what are they intending to do...................Ground the world!!!

It was like the bird flu a few years ago, They will find some way of treating it and normal flu can kill the vunerable!

Hope you get to have a good holiday!
                Rach

Facebook
                Website
                Blog
                Folksy

Comment

Alot depends on your reasons for cancelling. If the Government issue advice not to travel you will be covered by your insurance BUT if you decide not to go just because you don't feel you want to then you will not be entitled to any refund / alternative travel.

Remember to keep a sense of perspective here - a few years ago we were all going to die of Bird flu, a few years before that SARS was going to wipe up all out - in the US approx 3000 people die per month from normal seasonal flu.

The media like a panic, it shifts papers.
                  Enjoy your holiday.
                  Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one.
                  - A. Einstein

Hand crafted Driftwood gifts and homewares from North Devon
                  www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

The foreign office website does not have any problems with people travelling to Crete. Mexico is more of a problem. The FCO recommends visiting the WHO website and consulting your healthcare provider if you are concerned - more info here: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...seas/swine-flu and here: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html

I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. Your friend going to Mexico will have more of a problem.

I did read that some people in Mexico City aren't that concerned due to there only being 20 deaths in that one city that is home to 2 million people. Not exactly a pandemic so far! The other deaths reported are probably in other parts of the country.
                    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

[quote=indri;215057I did read that some people in Mexico City aren't that concerned due to there only being 20 deaths in that one city that is home to 2 million people. Not exactly a pandemic so far! The other deaths reported are probably in other parts of the country.[/quote]

A pandemic is classed as a level 6, I think the world health organisation is classing this as a level 4 at the minute.

personally Mexico I would avoid but other worldwide travel should be safe..as with any virual epidemic sensible precautions needs to be taken and hygiene awareness needs to be observed .i.e hand washing, covering your mouth when you cough and using tissues when you sneeze.

( my OH has to have a pendemic plan of action in place for his care home,lol, thats the only reason i know about the levels )

I have a bit of a thing about germs anyway and always carry a gel hand sanitizer with me
                      Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                      my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                      my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ah but people sneeze all over you. I want to know where you get those dinky blue masks from and I think there's a hole in the market for designer ones
                        AnnieAnna

Comment

Well I'm going to Florida on Sunday if I have to fly the plane myself!!! Selina

Comment

Originally posted by beckyboo View Post
                            A pandemic is classed as a level 6, I think the world health organisation is classing this as a level 4 at the minute.

personally Mexico I would avoid but other worldwide travel should be safe..as with any virual epidemic sensible precautions needs to be taken and hygiene awareness needs to be observed .i.e hand washing, covering your mouth when you cough and using tissues when you sneeze.

( my OH has to have a pendemic plan of action in place for his care home,lol, thats the only reason i know about the levels )

I have a bit of a thing about germs anyway and always carry a gel hand sanitizer with me
                            You are more at risk from the sanitizer hand gel than you are of getting swine flu!! Have you seen all those chemicals in it??

I has been proven that soaps and water is just as effective.
                            The nurses hands I see that have to use the gels 30-40 times a day are awful - litigation waiting to happen

Jane
                            www.just-soaps.com
                            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                              Ah but people sneeze all over you. I want to know where you get those dinky blue masks from and I think there's a hole in the market for designer ones
                              AnnieAnna

Many a true word...........

Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one.
                              - A. Einstein

Hand crafted Driftwood gifts and homewares from North Devon
                              www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X