Am i being mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i being mean?

So i have a fair on Saturday. I have a friend that i met through the silversmith evening class i went to. We have been friends for about 8 months but dont see each other day or anything. Just hte odd drink outside of the classes.

She has offered to give me a lift (well her husband will drive us) to the fair. Its not too far away and i could manage on the bus easy enough. She is also going to stay with me for company at the fair as its all day.

Problem is she has asked to put a few items on my stall that she has made. Half of me wants to say yes as she is doing me a favour by giving me a lift, plus she is a pal. But the other half of me is shouting no! I have worked hard at getting Greentree Crafts by Amy out there and i paid for the stall and all that. Its my business. What if someone buys her stuff instead of mine?

But then i feel mean for thinking that. Should i let her? If im not how do i tell her? I dont know!
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Does the fair organiser allow you to share stalls?
    flickr
    blog
    my website
    etsy

Comment

Just tell her the fair organisers are really strict, and as her style is different to yours then it'll be obvious that they aren't your designs (would that work as an excuse)
      Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
      Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
      www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

It doesnt say about sharing. But when i first applied to do a stall they asked for pictures of some of my stuff or a link to my website. The few things i saw her make in the class were very different to my stuff. Nice things, but not my style.
        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
          Just tell her the fair organisers are really strict, and as her style is different to yours then it'll be obvious that they aren't your designs (would that work as an excuse)
          If you can get away with it, I'd go for that option. Sounds the most feasible and the most unlikely to offend. You could always tell her that the fair organisers have an inventory of stock you'll have, for security purposes..?
          Rach x

Dare to dream ~ never afraid to fail.

~ Jewellery by RMC ~ Blog ~ Twitter me
          ~ Fb business ~ Misi me ~

Comment

I am going to sound hard here.

It is your business - to run as you wish.

I am all for helping friends out but there are certain boundaries that cannot be crossed.

If she is a real friend she will understand why you do not have space on your stall for her items - as she is going with you - will she be pushing her products rather than yours?

It would be like me taking one of my soapmaking friends to an event - I can think of nothing worse.

If she doesn't understand - she is not worth having as a friend.

Personally I would go on the bus.

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I dont think she has any career plans to do this as a business, so im not sure if she would push her stuff. She said that she wants to share the excitment with me on the day....(her english might not be very good as she is Japanese).

I think i might just say that im not allowed to share the stall and i dont want to upset the organisers as its the sort of place that i want to return to.

Comment

Yes, i think that the best thing to say Amy.

I had a similar situation with a girl from my silversmithing course ! her friend was looking through my web site and she asked the girl who sits next to me in class where i got all my stuff from! Now, i dont mind telling people but not about every single thing! Then she proceeded to bring her to one of my craft fairs where this girl just hoked about my stall, pulling at things to see how i made them. Then she just came straight out and asked where i bought my bits! I dont even know this girl! I just said that i couldnt remember! gggrrrr
                Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I don't think I'd allow her to if I were in your position - you'd feel really upset if she sold more than you or was asked for a commission. You'll probably feel more confident on your own as well, I usually do.

Visit my blog!
                  http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
                  www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
                    I dont think she has any career plans to do this as a business, so im not sure if she would push her stuff. She said that she wants to share the excitment with me on the day....(her english might not be very good as she is Japanese).

I think i might just say that im not allowed to share the stall and i dont want to upset the organisers as its the sort of place that i want to return to.
                    My son's girlfriend is Japanese, and I have met many - here and in Japan, they are very friendly obliging people - I am sure she will understand.

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Oh yes she is a lovely girl! So much so that i dont want to offend her.

Comment

Mixing friends and business is always a tough ask.
                        I agree with the others to say you have already given an inventory.
                        Most fairs I have been to state that if you have stuff on your stall other than in your application you may be asked to remove it .....
                        I don't envy you having to walk that line but I am sure she will understand which may take your friendship to a different level too!
                        Terry xxx
                        You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                        Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

are you happy with her coming with you on the day? it all depends on how much you value her friendship
                          www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Yeah i dont mind her coming. It would be handy to get a lift as it means i can take a few things that i wouldnt be able to otherwise, plus its nice to have a bit of company of someone who wont take over.

Comment

If you are not happy about sharing space then tell her it isn't practical to mix her work with yours but if she wants to share the excitement of the day then by all means come along and help. I have done many fairs with a friend who has a compatible style to mine and we have had fun together but there comes a point where you need to just get out there ad make as many sales for yourself as you can.
                              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Working...
                              X