Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you ---------

Shop??

Yesterday I had a friendly banter with someone you really supports Fair Trade, whilst I am a great keep it local supporter.

What influences how you shop?
    I appreciate that we may have to be guided by our purses to some extent.

I personally will buy ethical/eco friendly first, followed by local independent, then fair trade.

I would welcome your views.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

I usually shop in my local businesses first off (we have a great selection of local shops for food and gifts) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...666037063,,0,5

I'll buy a small amount of fair trade - it's impossible to buy wholly fair trade!! When on holiday if out in obscure countries (like Namibia and Madagascar) I go to local craft markets for my souvenirs to get products direct from the family who made them, and it's helped my bartering skills in French too!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

My brother has stated he's going to only buy from his local independent shops and farm shops from now on - I just told him I wish I had the time to do that! Unfortunately I tend to be at work when these shops are open so have to rely on supermarkets for most things.

I am a supermarket whore though and don't have any loyalty to any...I use Tescos when it's gone 8pm and we need to get some food in, will often pop into the Co-op in Clare (near my shop) on the way home, if we fancy treating ourselves I'll pop into Waitrose, if we're in town on a Sunday I'll go into M&S to get some bits, and to stock up on basics I'll often go to Nettos. Would love to buy all organic and use farm shops but unfortunately time and money dictate otherwise
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Can't say that in my experience I've been overly impressed with Fair trade stuff I've tried so far.

Bought a FT t shirt from M&S a couple of years back and the quality was terrible.
        Have bought FT coffe & tea, noone liked either of them.

I like to go to the local shops when I can and obviously if the quality is good they'll get my return business.
        I'd love to not have to use supermarkets but unfortunatley just couldn't get a whole week's shopping from the local shops.
        I try to steer clear of Tesco as feel that they're getting so big and powerful and they're CS leaves a lot to be desired, unlike the other biggies.

Comment

I agree about Tesco
          Have you seen this http://www.tescopoly.org

It is an interesting site

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
            I agree about Tesco
            Have you seen this http://www.tescopoly.org

It is an interesting site

Jane
            Yes I've seen that site before Jane & it just highlights what a lot of people think of them - they're just too powerful. If we're not careful they'll squeeze out every last shop in any area where they have a store

Comment

My point exactly,

Jane
              www.just-soaps.com
              Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

totally agree with you, i find it all a bit sinister and can see it in the not to far future as a kind of doctor who type senario where THE COMPANY (supermarket) is the goverment.
                or am i just daft
                sally

Comment

I hate Tescos but it's a necessary evil, especially now we can't afford to shop in Waitrose as often as we'd like
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I know what you mean about Tescos!, there seems to be a Tescos express on every corner in South Wales.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit stuffed. Our local market has some fab meat sellers but the veg is just not good enough, I stopped buying from their stalls after being given too much that was just on the turn. I try and support the local shops as much as possible but sometimes I don't have a choice.

There are some lovely farmers markets but I can't get to them!

(I prefer Asda, if I had to choose)

Debbie
                    Debbie
                    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?id=1262375772

http://www.folksy.com/shops/purplemac

http://purplemac.misi.co.uk/

Comment

I am with you Jane and try and shop as ethically/locally as possible. I do think you need time to do this though and I have been known to do a Tesco online shop if i am having a busy week. I feel very guilty for doing so and try not to do it very often.

Comment

Originally posted by purplemac View Post
                        There are some lovely farmers markets but I can't get to them!

(Debbie
                        They're great if you can get to them. I did a craft fayre last weekend and there was a little farmers market just beside it and I bought (well, send OH to get lol) all the meat and veg for the dinner and bought some gorgeous carrot cake too.

Comment

oooh more "I hate Tesco" bandwagon jumping eh?? *giggle*

Do tell me if any of you crafters ever sit at a fair and think "Oh I wont sell everything today, there's other folk here wanting to make a living".. think not.. It can be argued that Tesco drive local shops out of business, but shoppers vote with their feet and their wallets.. it has power because we choose to use them.. Tesco only has the power you gave it, and have the power to take away. As yet, I have not seen anyone from Tesco dragging folk in off the street and forcing them to shop..

I dont buy the argument that you "have" to use a supermarket because they are the only shop open at 9pm on the way home.. the argument is "Your mother didnt have that luxury, she planned her shopping, and either did without, or borrwed off a neighbour" the only decision is really about whether you are prepared to sacrifice convenience for your ethical view.. most are not...

Comment

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
                            I dont buy the argument that you "have" to use a supermarket because they are the only shop open at 9pm on the way home.. the argument is "Your mother didnt have that luxury, she planned her shopping, and either did without, or borrwed off a neighbour" the only decision is really about whether you are prepared to sacrifice convenience for your ethical view.. most are not...
                            Yes but at that time mothers went to the local bakers, butchers, fruit shop etc and the local gorcers stocked everything else. Most people don't have that choice anymore as the big boys rule the local main street now.

Also time is a big deciding factor in deciding where to shop.

As you say, shoppers vote with their feet and my feet rarely go in Tesco's direction anymore.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I went in a tescos... probably I was a student too many years ago. The only thing that I find is difficult to get around here is good quality fish - come from being as far from the sea as possible I reckon!
                              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                              X