Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about fleebay

I was just wondering....

For those of you who buy on ebay, would you prefer that your ID was kept private from other bidders, or don't you mind?
    As a seller, what you prefer to do?
    Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

It depends on the value of the item, and what sort of thing it is. If I'm bidding on a collectors item (a book perhaps), I would want it to be private - otherwise you end up having people recognising eachother and doing silly stuff.... good stuff for the seller, but annoying for the buyers.

Smaller value stuff - beading supplies etc, I don't mind...

Not helpful, eh?
    "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
    Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
    http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

i dont mind if its private or not as i usually nip in at the last minute to buy stuff. So i dont bid.

Would anyone like to know how to win your actions in the last 3 seconds of the listing? I have a special way to do it. If you would like to know how PM me your email address and i will forward...

xxxx
      Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

hi
        I don't buy a lot on ebay, usually find I can get items cheaper elsewhere.
        I don't really mind about my ID status

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by SNOWF1975 View Post
          i dont mind if its private or not as i usually nip in at the last minute to buy stuff. So i dont bid.

Would anyone like to know how to win your actions in the last 3 seconds of the listing? I have a special way to do it. If you would like to know how PM me your email address and i will forward...

xxxx
          I think I might know the answer to this but have lost the link amongst the hundreds I keep in my favourites!
          Gail x

Comment

I buy (and sell) A LOT on ebay and dont mind my ID being seen. I use a snipe tool so bid at last minute (although usually prefer buy-it-now).

Comment

THAT'S IT - a 'snipe' tool! Lol, thanks for jogging my memory! I don't use it tho, I think it would take the fun out of bidding.
              Gail x

Comment

Same as Jane - I find things cheaper elsewhere (and with a phone number to ring and enquire/discuss before buying).
                ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                website
                blog

Comment

I didn't used to mind my id being seen and didn't think anything of it until a couple of years ago when I won a laptop. I then received a disgusting message from someone who'd also bid and not won it...it was so vulgar that I reported it. That was just a one off, but for me, I'd prefer my id to be private Although I notice that some show your name and others just say bidder 1, bidder 2 etc. Can you chose to keep your own id private or is that the seller's prerogative?
                  Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I'm not bothered about someone seeing my ID, everybody used to be able to see everybodies elses ID when they were bidding before they changed it...
                    I very rarely buy on feebay anymore as I don't like the way it has changed, plus alot of stuff is overpriced and I can get most of it wholesale or at a cheaper price.

If you are a business seller you have no option to remain private now, all business sellers should have their name and geographical address on their page(s)
                    Last edited by beckyboo; 13-03-2009, 07:25 PM.
                    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                    my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                    my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

It has never bothered me whether my ID is seen or not as I don't buy high value items.

One thing I do hate, and sorry to those who do it, it's nothing personal, is sniping, I think it's unfair, you can't do it in a real auction. However, if ebay allow it and there is a tool to do it, then it will happen and I suppose I'm the mug for not doing it!

I thought that if ebay caught you, you ran the risk of being banned, or have they lapsed that rule aswell.
                      Last edited by Moonbeam Angel; 13-03-2009, 08:08 PM.
                      Diane
                      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

It depends what I've bought and how much for. I know that clued up people can do a search for your user name and see everything you've bought and how much for. One of mates confessed that she spied on people in this way ... I made a mental note never to buy her a gift off Ebay!
                        www.belovedly.co.uk
                        www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
                        www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

I dont know if its the same thing but I dont like it when people hide the thing I have bought in my feedback - it looks like I have been buying something naughty!

Sniping only works if you bid enough and you can do that many days before the end of the auction, I know some people bid to win when someone outbids them but I think thats when you end up paying too much. Better to bid in advance and think about the amount you are willing to pay rather than getting caught up in the excitement - and look further down the listings, I have often seen things go for £15 or more in a bidding war and the next item is exactly the same and goes for 99p. So I dont mind snipers, in fact I really like them if I am selling
                          flickr
                          blog
                          my website
                          etsy

Comment

I buy and sell on ebay, not as a "trader" just every so often I sell a few odd things we no longer want or need, and I will buy odd things because they are cheap, or hard to source elsewhere.

I have not had any problems where my id has been public, but I can give a very good reason for user ID's to be public.. Shill Bidding.. (i.e. the seller bidding up their own items) I wanted a steam cleaner, but wasnt prepared to pay the retail price.. There was an E bay seller who would list 6 or 7 at a time, as ex catalogue and refurbished returns starting at 99p.. I bid for weeks and weeks.. and without fail, the price would rocket as the sale came to a close.. so I began to check the bid history, and many of the bidders would have almost all their bid activity with the same seller, but because they are listed as "bidder3" on an item, you cant see if they are the same person each time.. In the end I reported my suspicions to ebay, and the Seller miraculously dissapeared... If I had been certain of the activity being linked to just one buyer, I would have reported them much sooner..

Assuming they were shill bidding (the seller could have coincidentally gone for an unrelated reason of course!) literally hundreds of people were tricked in to paying more than necessary..

Comment

Originally posted by alibear View Post
                              It depends what I've bought and how much for. I know that clued up people can do a search for your user name and see everything you've bought and how much for. One of mates confessed that she spied on people in this way ... I made a mental note never to buy her a gift off Ebay!
                              Should you be buying a gift for someone who appreciates the cost of what you buy more than the thought and the gift?? I'd make a mental note to save myself the effort of "possibly" offending them by not spending enough..

Comment

Working...
                              X