Selling a painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a painting

I have a painting that my ex got me for my birthday. I dont like it! He gave it to me a week after my birthday and its more his style than mine. But when i moved my stuff out i took it as it is mine. I made sure that i could take it, but i think he was a little reluctant.

Now i know why!! Its by a guy called John Horsewell and iv found other similar paintings for about £300!!!!!!!! I intended to sell it as my ex has left me in a financial pit and i have to pay for my cats spay as well as other things.

But i have no idea how to go about selling it. I want a good price for it. Should i look at galleries first?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

oooooooo, good call taking the painting!! But iv no idea how you would sell it
    Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I'm afraid I can't help either but well done for keeping the painting...that he'd given you anyway! I think it would have been a bit mean for him to have kept a present.
      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Can you post a picture on here so we can have a little look? Y'never know, someone might fall in love with it...
        Wood Tattoos
        Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
        Facebook
        Flickr
        Twitter

Comment

Have you thought about putting it into an auction - you can set a reserve so it doesn't go for peanuts but remember there'll be commission to pay. We have an auction house in Clare who have sales every 3rd Saturday, they are always very well attended...but I suspect they must've had a couple of very popular lots yesterday as the town was heaving with people - last time I saw it like that was when they had some of the Kray twin's paintings for sale.
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I would get advice from an art gallery maybe ...
            Sarah

Comment

I asked around some galleries today and they all pointed me towards the aution houses, but id be afraid that i would get charged loads for it. This isnt the best place to sell it really as its by a english artist and scottish artists do much better up here!

Il try and find a photo of it online. I dont have the facilities to take a pic of it just now.
              Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Not suggesting you sell it here but our local auction house has info on charges http://www.manderauctions.co.uk/selling.cfm to give you an idea of how much you're likely to pay if you do sell it at auction...I'd imagine others would charge similar.

Hmmm I see your point re the Scotland/England thing, it might sell better down here in England but then you've got the hassle of getting it down here undamaged. From my vast experience of watching Flog It (lol ) paintings often sell better in the area the artist is from or if the paintings are of a particular area. OMG I've just googled him and he lives on the Essex/Suffolk border...maybe I walk past him in the street sometimes!
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
                X